Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What was the thief thinking? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    What have you had stolen off your bike that was unusual?

I recall in another thread that someone stole ONE of Slabo's gloves .... hahaha ... now what would the thief do with 1 glove? Hmmmm, Michael Jackson can't be a suspect!

Anyways, I went down to my bikes this morning and someone had stolen the cover off my farmer Honda. It had one of those super-cheap 20 rmb plastic bike covers that people use for e-bikes, scooters, etc. And the thing was dirty, ripped in a couple of places, and pretty well had zero value (except it did its job of keeping dust off my bike). Sitting next to it was my JH600B with its 500 rmb custom-fitted cover, and my fancy-shmancy JH600's immaculate, color-coordinated cover.

But they took my poor little Honda's plastic cover. Worthless, but had value to me! I guess the thief saw its inherent, classic value.

Guess I'm going to have to chain my covers, and install GPS tracking devices on them!

Ever lose anything that made you scratch your head?

2. #2 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    I had my bike break light plastic cover screw lost one day, having the other one on hand but it was no luck to find identical screw at dealers. My friend jokingly suggested me look out for some unattended bike before dawn, along carrying a screwdriver
    In the end at a screw shop I found one(木纹螺丝) and just fine.

3. #3 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    C-Moto Guru
    TIC. I remember one time I went over a bump too fast and my lock flew out out of my pannier. I did a quick u turn and saw a street sweeper pick it up and run like hell back to her push cart. Had to do some quick bargaining (I don't think she appreciated it when I said she should pay me) and then just took the damn thing out of her hands and said goodbye.

Wondering though, Lao Jia Hou, did the cover perhaps get blown off by the wind? This happened to me before, resulting in much swearing and then a belated "Jeez, there it is caught in a tree." =)

4. #4 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    @ td_ref:

The midnight supply store reminds me of when I was a JD (juvenile delinquent). I lost a trim ring off the wheel of my car. Found a match in another neighbourhood. 0300 AM and I was out there with a screwdriver, but getting the trim off I made a HUGE racket & the guy came running out of the house, chased me for at least 5 blocks. Scared the heck outta me! Never did get the trim ring.

@ nuhaus

No wind as they are parked in an underground, but good idea!

Also in my JD days, I rode my MC to Key West, Florida and had to visit a real biker bar, to see some genuine bikers. At the time, I had this new-fangled remote pager alarm on my Yamaha XS1100, and I was showing it off to this huge, super mean looking biker out in the parking lot. After a couple hours in the bar, I noticed the remote pager was missing. I was sure Mr Tough Guy had stolen it. Being pretty drunk (and stupid), I went right up to him and started yelling at him, accusing him of stealing my pager, and challenging him. He denied it, which made me even more angry & threatening. This guy could've crushed me with his little finger, but he didn't flinch. I stormed outta the bar, breaking a glass for effect. Back on my bike, I noticed the pager was tucked inside my helmet. I've never been back to that bar.

5. #5 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    Blimey, one man's trash is another's treasure.
    Probably just karma, the gods spirited it away and you got off lightly if you were anything like the JD I was.

Or maybe someone had to wrap a dripping body before putting it in the boot/trunk of their Mercedes ... checked all your neighbours lately?
    I can tell you that making up this story of theft to cover your arse if you disposed of a body in a shallow grave probably won't work.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Ever lose anything that made you scratch your head?
    Sure, lost memory after a good night of drinking! Scrathing my head thinking about what happened the night before. Who didn't?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

7. #7 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    Jape:

hahahaha - creative thinking about the body-in-the-trunk. I hope the mob guys don't prefer black Audi A6s these days ... every second car in my parking lot is one of those (lots of government people live here). Hmmmm ... government ... mob ... better think this one through.

Barry:

Ah, to be young again. Once advanced age causes you to permanently lose your memory, things are pretty good, because ... well, I forget.

8. #8 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    C-Moto Guru
    To get a bit more back on topic, I lost the nut of my rear wheel once. On the scooter I owned before my JH600!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

9. #9 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    iv had the plastic bar end cap on my scooter stolen once its worth about £8 and my scooter was a very rare scoot around this area so not allot of use having a fake chrome piece of plastic

10. #10 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    Can we include random vandalism in this thread?

150cc scooter: Parked in my compound, slashed tire and ripped tubeless valve. No signs of attempted theft.

Galaxy XTR250: Parked in my compound, superglue poured into key fob and all switches. No signs of attempted theft.

CJ750: Parked outside restaurant. van pulls up, two guys hop out with metal bars, smash all the lights on my bike, run back into the van drive off. No signs of attempted theft.

I never figured out what any of those incidents were about...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast