Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Can we include random vandalism in this thread?

150cc scooter: Parked in my compound, slashed tire and ripped tubeless valve. No signs of attempted theft.

Galaxy XTR250: Parked in my compound, superglue poured into key fob and all switches. No signs of attempted theft.

CJ750: Parked outside restaurant. van pulls up, two guys hop out with metal bars, smash all the lights on my bike, run back into the van drive off. No signs of attempted theft.

I never figured out what any of those incidents were about...
    Someone don't want to confront, but succeed in giving messages--they were serious. If you haven't figure out what cause, then you shouldn't leave yourself or belongings vulnerable. An Chinese old saying is "The thing shouldn't repeat twice"

2. #12 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Can we include random vandalism in this thread?

150cc scooter: Parked in my compound, slashed tire and ripped tubeless valve. No signs of attempted theft.

Galaxy XTR250: Parked in my compound, superglue poured into key fob and all switches. No signs of attempted theft.

CJ750: Parked outside restaurant. van pulls up, two guys hop out with metal bars, smash all the lights on my bike, run back into the van drive off. No signs of attempted theft.

I never figured out what any of those incidents were about...
    All of those are extreme examples of nucking futs behaviour. Stoic approach works best with that shit. I'm sure that hasn't happened to me only because I park in a supervised space at my complex. Friends of mine have had scooters go missing from in front of their door (in another complex), helmets locked to bikes cut off, and the ever popular "missing battery", but I've never seen deliberate vandalism before. That last one is freaking scary, were you in the restaurant at the time?

3. #13 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    I figured the first two were by people who were pissed at me for some reason, but the problem with that sort of behavior is that i have no idea what they're pissed about. The proper way to deal with it, if they're scared of confrontation, would be to leave an anonymous note on the bike asking to stop whatever i'm doing wrong. By stupidly vandalising the bikes, all it makes me want to do is go and slash every tire in the compound. (i did not do this)

In the last one, my best guess is that the people thought i was japanese. A lot of chinese people think that the CJ750 is a japanese bike because that's what the japanese drive in all the war movies here. I wasn't in a japanese restaurant but there are quite a few on that street. I was in the restaurant at the time but didn't see it happen, i heard the noise and then the waitresses came to see me and told me what happened.

4. #14 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Felix - sorry to hear. What a bummer. One case of vandalism could be random - two in the same location could be targeted. But it might not be against you. Some people just don't like noisy, smelly bikes around.

People associate the CJ with the Japanese? Interesting. Didn't know that. Maybe that's why I got some real nasty looks up in Harbin - I thought it was because of my bad driving!

5. #15 Re: What was the thief thinking? 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    my old bike was the type that taxi's use around here.
    well, i had a crappy helmet that was free and was strapped to the back and helmet i bought that was a gooden, on the front, after work one day i find the crappy one had vanished,
    a couple of months later, com eout from work to find the rubber coating on my right foot peg has been taken,
    a couple of months later, my bike was taken,
    i guess they thought about taking in bit by bit, it was never locked, it had a lock on the read metal thing covering some of the license plate but i never used it,
    i guess it was just a matter of time. so im at fault for that (all someone would have to do is pull in the clutch and wheel it away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12