Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all, thanks for reading and any input is greatly appreciated.

I just bought a Chinese brand R9, which is a scooter with 150cc engine. I paid 5500 rmb versus 3000 rmb because this one came with Jing B plates and all the paperwork associated with it like frapiao, vehicle registration, and an insurance invoice. These are all done with a name of a company and not mine as this was all ready for me when I bought the scooter.

Question 1: Is this legit or did I get taken?

Question 2: Will I be able to change the registration into my name or is this even necessary? The guy that sold it to me, a shop in Wudaoko, told me that it is not necessary, but he also told me that I don't need a motorcycle license.

Question 3: From reading this forum, it sounds like I need to get motorcycle license, but still not totally clear as to whether this applies to me with a "scooter". Could someone that knows elaborate on this? I live in Wangjing. Is there somewhere close to me or the closed place where I can get one?

Question 4: I made the mistake of riding my R9 inside the 4th ring road the very next day after purchase to Sanlitun, but nothing happened. I thought I passed a couple of police and even rode next to police cars that did nothing. Is the ban on going inside the 4th ring road only for motorcyles? or was I just really lucky?

Question 5: Will an insurance company insure my R9? Does anyone know of someone or someplace I can get this?

Question 6: Would love to meet people and go for rides on the weekends. Any people available near Wangjing?

Again thank you,

Sunny

2. #2 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyjdsn View Post
    Hi all, thanks for reading and any input is greatly appreciated.

I just bought a Chinese brand R9, which is a scooter with 150cc engine. I paid 5500 rmb versus 3000 rmb because this one came with Jing B plates and all the paperwork associated with it like frapiao, vehicle registration, and an insurance invoice. These are all done with a name of a company and not mine as this was all ready for me when I bought the scooter.

Question 1: Is this legit or did I get taken?
    I am 99% sure (without seeing the docs) that it is legal. The "company registration" is very common in Beijing for "B" plates.

Question 2: Will I be able to change the registration into my name or is this even necessary? The guy that sold it to me, a shop in Wudaoko, told me that it is not necessary, but he also told me that I don't need a motorcycle license.
    Yes, you can change it into your own name, as long as you meet the other requirements (residence outside 4th ring road - Wangjing is just outside - minimum 6 months visa).

The dealer saw you are a foreigner - they all believe we are immune from the police. That used to somewhat be the case, many years ago, but most certainly not any more.

Question 3: From reading this forum, it sounds like I need to get motorcycle license, but still not totally clear as to whether this applies to me with a "scooter". Could someone that knows elaborate on this? I live in Wangjing. Is there somewhere close to me or the closed place where I can get one?
    Search this forum for info on getting a Driving License in Beijing - lots of help here. I think there is only one school that "teaches" foreigners.

If you already have a motorcycle endorsement on your foreign license, the process is very easy.

Question 4: I made the mistake of riding my R9 inside the 4th ring road the very next day after purchase to Sanlitun, but nothing happened. I thought I passed a couple of police and even rode next to police cars that did nothing. Is the ban on going inside the 4th ring road only for motorcyles? or was I just really lucky?
    Ban inside 4th ring road is for B plates (and maybe other provinces? Don't know about that one)

Lucky? I just found out that all my 5th ring road riding has been illegal, and I'm on it a lot, but I've never been dinged. Consider it like speeding - you don't get caught every time, but it sure can be a bummer when you are.

Question 5: Will an insurance company insure my R9? Does anyone know of someone or someplace I can get this?
    If you have B plates on it, it has insurance already (in the company name). You can't get legal plates without insurance.

Question 6: Would love to meet people and go for rides on the weekends. Any people available near Wangjing?
    There are many rides happening every weekend, for all shapes/sizes of bikes. I recently came across some scooter "club" up in the mountains - about 20 little scooters zipping through the roads. Your dealer will have lots of info, and perhaps even run a few scooter trips himself. By the way, if you don't have a girlfriend already, you will quickly acquire one in a scooter club ... about 3/4 of those scooter riders were attractive young women!

Oh ... hang on ... "Sunny" ... haha ... could be either gender.

3. #3 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the awesome reply. About my gender, lol, Sunny is often used my gals, but I am definitely a guy and happily married. Would it be weird if I took my wife on those rides?

About the insurance, do I need to get insurance into my name? or should I just leave it alone? I'm a little worried since I don't really know what the coverage is.

Also, I'm assuming getting a Jing A tag is basically impossible?

Sunny

4. #4 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    Dear Mr. Sunny:

Your wife would greatly enjoy the excursions, for sure. The mountains around Beijing are quite scenic, the air is cleaner, and there are nice little villages to have a lunch. I was out riding with a guy who has an R9 a couple of weeks ago, and his bike was quite powerful - I think it would easily handle two people around the mountains. He seemed to be very happy with his scooter.

As for insurance, it doesn't have to be in your name BUT you MUST have a motorcycle driving license for any insurance to be valid. No license, everything else is off the table. My guess is that the dealer arranged for the minimum 3rd party insurance - it costs almost nothing to have it upgraded.

I think a Jing A plate should be available if the bike can be registered for a B plate. I've never heard of a bike being able to get only a "B" plate, but not an "A" plate - but who knows. The dealer can help you out there, as the dealer should be doing this kinda stuff every day (or week). You'd have to meet the residency conditions for an A plate (living inside the 4th ring road, 6 month visa, etc). And, of course, the A plate will run you a lot of money (around 14 or 15K rmb, last I heard). And you'd definitely want it in your own name.

IMHO, you really need to get that driving license, asap. That is important.

5. #5 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I sadly have also bought an R9. I have seen these bikes using jing a and jing b plates, although most are non plated. However I asked my motorcycle mechanic about the legality of a jing b plate on the r9 and he claims they all are fake, also out of province plates are fake.. I will believe my mechanic before I trust a sales guy.
    Last edited by xiaoqiang; 07-09-2011 at 03:10 AM.

6. #6 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    @ xiaoqiang - yup, always a distinct possibility of fake plates, but I think it is a bit too sweeping to say "all are fake". I own several bikes that are legally plated, including two with out-of-province plates. I recall reading somewhere that a bike shop can be held legally liable for any misfortune you might encounter (e.g., an accident) with an illegally plated bike that it sells you.

Most R9s that do not have the green book are indeed fake. But if a buyer gets the fapiao, insurance, both blue & green books, and associated documents, it is likely legal.

My suggestion would be to always deal with a shop that has a decent reputation.

7. #7 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    I have an R9 and it is certified as only 38cc so no need for a plate but there is a new rule that no plate no gas at every gasoline station so my wife complain and brag and whine at the dealer ( as i cant speak chinese ) until finaly he give me this small green book and a small white plate with geen plate number, he say this is registration plate for 50cc below then i dont have problems for gas. this R9 having 38cc is fast as i can cruise at 80 to 90 kmh, a friend told me it is actualy 125.....

for fake plates, as i do have a jing a plate for my other bike, real plates do have a circular copper thing in the middle of the jing A word and plate number used for police camera to detect and record if your over speeding or breaking a red light so after a year government can charge you, now this fake plates dont have this thing. also as richard have said it comes with a blue book with picture of the bike etc... one thing to look out for the blue book as we cant read chinese, make sure that the owner of the bike is in your chinese name as well as the insurance.

8. #8 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Yes. Sorry I am a skeptic. The r9 that I bought had papers that also say it is 35cc. But let's give the local constabulary credit for intelligence. You know and they know that the r9 is a 150cc bike. I don't want to appear as a hypocrite, or as a bad person. I may be rather naive and possibly a little stupid when it comes to current laws and policies in Beijing. I was told when I bought my r9 that it was registered 35cc and did not need a plate, etc. etc. I also bought my r9 at an unmentioned location across the 4th ring road from a police station. Today as I was riding home on it, I went thru a psb bike check directly across the road from where I bought the bike, now the police have my r9. They say I can retrieve my r9 tomorrow.

I became aware of the policy after I bought my r9. I did ride it knowing that there were issues and was bound to get caught, just a matter of time.

Further to my previous post. There is link on this web site with known brands of motorbikes and motor scooters that are legal and can be registered and insured in Beijing. I also belive that there is a government published list somewhere, just don't know where. I'm not sure if R9 is on this list. Lintek model may be on a government list.

9. #9 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Xiaoqiang,

Damn -- the cops confiscated your bike??? Very sorry to hear that. Do you mind my asking about the specific circumstances, and what justification they gave for confiscation? Also, what are the grounds for returning the bike to you tomorrow? That sounds pretty enlightened, unless there are mitigating circumstances you've not mentioned...

By the way, I see you're new to MCM, with only two posts. If you don't mind, please feel free to post a note about yourself and your ride in the "welcome to MCM" forum. I guess it's a bit much to ask for pix, if the bike is gathering dust in an impound yard! But pix are always welcome, and particularly so in your case with all the confusion about the bike's displacement, etc.

I like your writing style too. Not a journalist are you?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I was driving down the street at baiziwan, turned left under the bridge and some security type people waved me over. Police officers in uniform were present. I had not been driving badly or anything like this. I have been using the r9 on a regular basis. On the roads etc. I have driven down Chang An street several times and usually avoid it but never got any odd looks or anything. There are many r9's on the road without plates, the same as mine. I generally think (in China) if everyone is doing it that it must be ok. lol.

I think it was just a random motorbike and motor scooter check. I have a ticket for a fine I will have to pay but it is all in Chinese so my wife will have to read it and tell me what to do. I will keep posting here as this thing progresses. Today at the road check many bikes, modi's and 3 wheeled carriers were taken off of the road. Some bikes even had jing a, jing b or out of province plates on them. As is often the case in China, after a number of people (bikes) were nabbed, the check was over. I saw many r5's and r9s riding down the road without plates and no one bothered to stop them. I know it is common that jing b and jing a plates are hidden to avoid plate theft, but these were not even stopped or questioned. The local Police did not speak English, later an officer arrived that could speak a little English, he did say that I need a Chinese drivers license to drive in China he did not say anything about the plate. Or the lack thereof.

By the way, as I have been told by beijingriders.com many motorcycles and scooters being sold in Beijing have documentation saying they are 35 to 48 cc. The r9 is being sold in the USA under a different comapny name with some possible mods. They are being sold by TGB or some company like this. Same bikes though manufactured in Taiwan, San Yang Motors engines, mikuni carbs. GJSY sells them in Mainland China. 2 engine sizes that I have seen here in Beijing, 125cc and 150cc. They all have paperwork that states they are certified under 40cc. I won't insult the intelligence of the local police, I think they know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast