Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've seen quite some checks and or people with motorcycles that got pulled over in BJ lately. They never even tried to stop me since I have my JH600, think they are mainly after farmer bikes, scooters and street bikes like CBR's/GSX's!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

2. #12 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I went to the PSB vehicle management office today to try to retrieve my r9. They tell me I need the fapiao from the dealer which I have never seen, and the qualification certificate or a copy of these from another r9. BTW, I'm trying real hard to go legit.
    Last edited by xiaoqiang; 07-09-2011 at 05:16 AM.

3. #13 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am mystified but still want to find out as much info about my r9 adventure as possible. I am still trying to put things into perspective here.

1> My r9 was confiscated by the Traffic management bureau last week. Probably because I was not carrying the documents on the bike and no license.
    2> The traffic management bureau seemed very accommodating and assured me I can get my bike back. I will need to produce a copy of the fapiao which I don't believe they gave me and the qualification certificate that came with the bike. I had just moved and can not find a box that the movers moved, which probably has my documents in it.
    3> I was getting one of my friends to translate for me between me and the dealer. The dealer did not seem very cooperative. I found out later that the friend was screaming at the dealer manager on my phone. Well I can understand the position he took at the time. I'm asking him for help, something he really doesn't need to do, and my friend was screaming at him on the phone.
    4> I have gone to Laoshan and booked the motorcycle course, am going to get that taken care of asap.

I had gone to the traffic management bureau and found my r9 and the police were happy and willing to get the serial number from the bike so I can get the documents replaced. Meanwhile my wife has spoken to the manager of the dealership and it appears she has resolved everything. The dealer has offered to provide a new copy of the qualification certificate, and I should be able to get a copy of the fapiao from the market head office.

As far as I know there is no way to get a jing a or jing b plate for an r9. So will still have trouble buying gas. However the psb seems to be willing to accept the qualification cert that says the bike is less than 50cc. I have seen an increasing number of these bikes with plates similar to the plate I had on my electric scooter. I saw a GJSY r9 and a Majesty with them at the traffic management bureau office (not the impound yard) that came and then left with no issues. I will explore this avenue. For the time being I am back to riding the electric scooter, not as much fun as the r9 but still more fun than taxis, busses and subways.

4. #14 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for the updates Xiaoqiang - it's interesting to read a first hand account about getting a bike confiscated and trying to get it back. As an aside, do you know what they do with all the bikes that don't end up being returned? Any idea what happens to all these countless bikes that are getting scooped up by the police? And congrats on starting the Lao Shan process - it takes some time to get through it - but it's actually pretty painless and worth it in the end!

Pat

5. #15 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hehe, Good one. I have no idea. The impound yard I visited in Beijing is only half full. I imagine they recycle. So the scrapyard if the bikes are too old or the used parts depot perhaps in another province. Not sure.

6. #16 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Went to talk to the dealer yesterday with my wife, she is Chinese, I'm not. Not only that the dealer didn't give me a fapiao when I bought the bike, now he is denying he even sold the bike. Or even that he sold a bike with the serial numbers I have from the bike. Somehow the police became involved, they take the side of the dealer, and I am a "nasty laowai" for trying to cause trouble for legitimate Chinese salesmen. Not sure if I can even ever get the bike back now. So I be saving up a few more rmb for a bike that is legal and will follow the forums here to know which one to buy. Got it in my blood now, can't shake it. LOL.

7. #17 Re: Chinese Brand R9 Help!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    A truly unbelievable This is China story, and a particularly frustrating one at that. So I'm particularly relieved to see your final comment, expressing your commitment not to be knocked off motorcycling for good. Armed with what you know now, I trust that your next experience will be far more positive. I certainly hope so!

I'm sure I speak for many in this forum in expressing thanks for your detailed and candid retelling of this sordid yet also highly enlightening episode. If it helps others to avoid a similar fate, you'll be racking up a ton of good karma.

Many thanks, and best of luck with the next bike (if you really cannot extricate this one!)...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12