Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    C-Moto Regular
    I only took a couple of shots. Keep in mind the tank and rear fender are not mounted... just sitting on the frame. I'm going to reproportion the front fender by grinding off the welds and rewelding so it sits 50/50 on either side of the brace. This will give me room to mount a pedestrian slicer. A 7" British headlight is sitting on the bench as well as 35mm clip-on's.

I will not have time to relocate the foot controls and fab a new exhaust in time for VMD, but it's on the to-do list.

/Mike

DSCF0585x800.jpg
    Last edited by BellaCorse; 07-08-2011 at 11:43 PM.

2. #12 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaCorse View Post
    ...This will give me room to mount a pedestrian slicer....
    A what???
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    A what???
    Front licence plate mounted on top of the fender

4. #14 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey BellaCorse, you have done a great work on your stuff, after mods your stuff is looking awesome, all the mods are very nice, as specially exhaust, I love it, hope you enjoyed your ride, thanks for sharing.

5. #15 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    Quote Originally Posted by jamewatson View Post
    as specially exhaust
    jame,
    That is the stock DF exhaust.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

6. #16 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    Those bikes have an EGR and the Suzuki powered bikes have a PAIR, both have catalytic devices but the systems and how they operate are different. The EGR is up stream and the PAIR is downstream.

The EGR dilutes the incoming, it displaces oxygen and reduces combustion temperatures, it keeps them under 2500 degrees as that is the temperature when nitrous oxides form. It does that by depleting oxygen in the air coming into the combustion chamber.

The PAIR is different it adds oxygen on the exhaust side, it encourages the burning off of exhaust gases by pulsing oxygen in through a vacuum control set of valves.

The PAIR removal should be proceeded by removing the catalytic device down stream or it could get clogged eventually.

Removing the PAIR will not improve performance removing the catalyst would. The Suzuki bikes are held back by the restrictive exhaust and do not really need enrichment or if so very little.
    Removing the EGR could improve the performance and may even require changing the fuel to air mixture which could be too rich now that it is not being diluted with oxygen depleted gases, resulting in backfiring. That is why old timers say you need some back pressure and engines that have straight headers back fired.

7. #17 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    I do like that frame, its to low to support straight up and down controls, so it really can never be a caf racer. Its too bad they did not copy the frame off the Matchless

8. #18 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    C-Moto Regular
    The Matchless is a good example of the "vibe' I'm going after. The DF chassis can be converted to rear sets if one relocates the rear master cylinder. The frame actually has plenty of ground clearance. I'll be going for a more relaxed riding posture, as well as a more simplified conversion, so I'll just move the current forward controls back a few inches.

/Mike

9. #19 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    That is not were my concern lies; the controls can be relocated; my concern is in the ergonomic and the distance between the seat and the relocated pedals, the resulting distance would be very short. The seat seems to be too low and could be moved up in height, maybe and maybe a little forward but the tail would appear to be very long then. A caf racer has a more level horizontal line to it from the steering neck to the seat.

The only reason the controls are set forward is all about the distance from the seat to the pedals.that being to increase it.

Take a look at this modification and consider were your ass goes and were your feet go.

The position would be for a lack of a better termsquatting on it?

10. #20 Re: Custom DF250RTB build up 
    C-Moto Regular
    my concern is in the ergonomic and the distance between the seat and the relocated pedals
    I'm with you. But don't overthink it. This is just a fun pit bike for me. I'll eventually insure and plate it so I can tool down to the local scooter night in the next town. I'm not going to be running the Tail of the Dragon on it. This is just a design exercise and an excuse to use up some spares I have laying around.

Tonight, being 96F and about 105% humidity, I elected to work on the DF rather than ride. I got around to properly mounting the rear fender and tail light. Drilling the frame's axle plates was a bitch. Must be flame hardened. But all is square and hanging right with some cool old fender struts. They needed a fair amount of finessing to get to work.

I had my fuel tank media blasted today and the steel is fairly pitted. I'll try some high build primer tomorrow, but my plans of powdercoating it are shot. I bought another tank off of eBay and hopefully it will show up this week.

I've got a vintage bike swap meet this weekend, and I'm on the sniff for some cool old trinkets to tart-up the bike with.

/Mike

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast