Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Why spoked wheels? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I noticed most street motorcycles have solid alloy wheels, while offroad motorcycles have laced, or spoked wheels. Why is that?

2. #2 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    I am not sure but I remember a mate who did trials saying that spokes under tension are very strong because they pull the rim in towards the middle but still allow flexing in more than one plane so whereas mags may be lighter depending on the materials, sometimes even stronger, they are more rigid; thus I guess the flex of spokes suits the forces the wheels get under dirt-bike style riding (jumps and fast bumpy courses) as against fast hardtop racing?

3. #3 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    Also I think spoked wheels are cheaper and easier to repair. If you damage a cast wheel, you pretty much have to replace it. Much easier to use a wrench or pliers for trueing or carry some spare spokes than it is to carry a whole extra wheel into the hills.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Also I think spoked wheels are cheaper and easier to repair. If you damage a cast wheel, you pretty much have to replace it. Much easier to use a wrench or pliers for trueing or carry some spare spokes than it is to carry a whole extra wheel into the hills.
    CC
    Post-winter UK potholes aside, moto bikes are made to cope with harsher and more regular impacts than street bikes. Alloy wheels are generally more brittle than spoked wheels and so are more susceptible to fracture. Spoked wheels, as CC says, are more readily repaired. Handy if you’re in the middle of nowhere and forgot to take the MIG welder with you.

That is not to say an alloy wheel cannot be produced to take a moto bashing, but the cost of such is eyewatering. Money better spent down the pub, what.
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

5. #5 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    From my mountain biking days, there were some solid wheels about, but they were found not to last on the terrain mountain bikes cover, hard impacts that blew out tyres tended to sometimes crack the wheels, and pre suspension bike days, spoked wheels were more comfortable.. Also with spoked wheels there is something about forces in the design, stored energy and such that actually helps a wheel to get moving from stationary. Thinking about it, the initial turning force via the sprocket moves the hub first before the energy transmitted via the spokes snatches the wheel into motion. The spokes could also act in equalising the forces from the terrain and the drive.

A pal asked why my bike has no cushion drive, I said I have not seen many off road inspired bikes with it, I guess, because cushion drive is more about a soft pull away from stationary. A wheel on slippy stuff needs all the energy it can get, to get moving, cushion drive I suppose would rob that power.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

6. #6 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    C-Moto Regular
    What Carl said. Plus spokes look way sweet.

7. #7 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GRF_Hans View Post
    What Carl said. Plus spokes look way sweet.
    How do you dig up these old posts. Heh, looking back I can see I had a lot to learn. Thanks for the reminder.

8. #8 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    here i thought this was a post on preference , well I prefer spoked wheels they just look cooler on a bike .
    there I said it and now back to your original programming
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

9. #9 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    iv found out that its more expensive to produce high quality spoked wheels these are specifically for offroad bikes that need the strength as allots are actually worse for taking impacts the bmw GS650 is now only with cast wheels as this savves costs this is only as its a dual sport not a full on enduro bike

10. #10 Re: Why spoked wheels? 
    C-Moto Senior
    I agree with what everyone has said but it also got me thinking, I never really considered it and I'm not really sure, but I also think that spoked wheels bear more weight toward the hub of the wheel. That would not technically be unsprung weight but just as if you swing a baseball bat backwards it is much easier because the weight is closer to the axis, in this case a persons shoulders and in the case of a wheel the axle, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast