Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey everyone,

I've just arrived in Beijing from the UK to start a new job, and I'm looking into getting my first motorbike here.

The bike I'm looking at does come with a Jing B plate but unfortunately no ownership papers. Added to that I don't have a license. I'm just wondering how much of a problem this will pose if/when I get stopped by the police. I've owned similar bikes abroad before with no problems, but as I've just arrived here I'm not sure what the situation is like now in China.

I was thinking I could at least draw up a contract of sale with the sellers details, so at least if I did get stopped the police wouldn't think I stole the bike!

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to maybe riding with some of you guys when I do finally get a bike!

Cheers,

Joel

2. #2 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi Joel,
    Welcome to the forum. Please search on the topic of getting a license, I'm sure you'll find much information. As to your stated aim of getting your first motorbike and then riding it unlicensed and unregistered in Beijing, well, I'm not sure exactly how to advise you other than to ask you to reconsider.

If you are pulled over, the police have every right to arrest you, confiscate your bike, deport you and/or detain you in jail. Whether or not they do this is entirely at their discretion. For now, why don't you investigate getting a legal license in Beijing? Highly recommended.

3. #3 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi Joel,
    Another welcome ..
    You post is kinda funny in a way because another new member is in your exact position, new to China new to bikes also pondering the necessity to be legal.. There's also one member explaining why its a good idea to run on fake plates ... The mob is out to burn him.. haha..

have a look here ::
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...e-New-vs.-used
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ad-trip-advice

4. #4 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the advice guys. They do seem like silly questions when you consider some of the risks involved (accidents,incarceration etc). However, I have previously done a fair bit of motorbike touring abroad and police issues have always been resolvable. I've also just been living in Vietnam where everyone has a bike and no-one has a license/papers and there are never any issues. I have chatted to a few foreigners with bikes on the street here in Beijing and they have all said they don't have a license and don't have a problem, so I'm not sure how they get away with it.

The other useful bit of info I picked up on the forum was about the "B" plate. I live between ringroads two and three and don't fancy getting fined each time I ride in central areas!

Guess I'll have to think more carefully about this before jumping into a purchase.

5. #5 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    haha were you looking at the yellow zhongshen 200gy as well?
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

6. #6 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Ha, yeah. That's the bike I was thinking about!

7. #7 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    i didn't end up getting it exactly because it doesn't have documents. not worth the potential trouble, i live within the 2nd ring road. apparently not having papers for the bike can get you into more trouble than not having a license?!
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

8. #8 Re: Hi everyone, a little advice needed to start... 
    What is the price of an A plate? That is what you want right and one that is transferable. Those must be expensive.

That’s interesting if they never offer more of them then they will keep increasing in value if they never expire and can always be transferred.

This person claims to be selling one or was….but the link only shows 16 views.
    http://www.beijing-kids.com/classifi...ooter-and-moto

So the plate comes first and then the bike…..the plate is like an investment.