Hey Y'all,

We had already started on my bike trip before I heard about the Guinness World Record for longest continuous journey in a single country (which currently stands at 16,240 kilometres set by the Pyle brothers last year on a similar route to the one we took), but I sent off a record attempt application in the hope that the photos and video I had taken would be satisfactory proof. It turns out that it wasn't so simple as that.

Basically, every detail related to the time spent on the motorcycle (rest breaks, stoppages and reasons for the stop, daily/overall performance), must be recorded in a log book and signed by as many independent witnesses as possible (including police officers where possible) in an attempt to create a line of witnesses to verify the route and the distance traveled.

Needless to say, a GPS also needs to be used to calculate accurate distances. Daily GPS printouts are mentioned as very important and should be included with the log book. Photos must also be provided as evidence.

"Continuous" means that you can't stop for more than one week without continuing your journey.

For anyone interested in driving a significant distance in China, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to contact Guinness World Records at least 2 months in before you start to clarify the proof requirements because they can change. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for them to get back with a response to an application.

Cheers,

Jeremy