Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 How to set a world record 
    Hey Y'all,

We had already started on my bike trip before I heard about the Guinness World Record for longest continuous journey in a single country (which currently stands at 16,240 kilometres set by the Pyle brothers last year on a similar route to the one we took), but I sent off a record attempt application in the hope that the photos and video I had taken would be satisfactory proof. It turns out that it wasn't so simple as that.

Basically, every detail related to the time spent on the motorcycle (rest breaks, stoppages and reasons for the stop, daily/overall performance), must be recorded in a log book and signed by as many independent witnesses as possible (including police officers where possible) in an attempt to create a line of witnesses to verify the route and the distance traveled.

Needless to say, a GPS also needs to be used to calculate accurate distances. Daily GPS printouts are mentioned as very important and should be included with the log book. Photos must also be provided as evidence.

"Continuous" means that you can't stop for more than one week without continuing your journey.

For anyone interested in driving a significant distance in China, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to contact Guinness World Records at least 2 months in before you start to clarify the proof requirements because they can change. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for them to get back with a response to an application.

Cheers,

Jeremy

2. #2 Re: How to set a world record 
    Interesting. It is tempting to do a crazy attempt and break the WR in Finland

3. #3 Re: How to set a world record 
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that distance accrued on repeated routes must be deducted from the total, probably to stop crazy people driving up and down the same bit of road thousands of times.

Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Interesting. It is tempting to do a crazy attempt and break the WR in Finland
    Haha, I'm sure you would have to get fairly creative with your route planning, but the rules say nothing about the quality of the roads you should be driving on or whether you should be driving on roads at all

4. #4 Re: How to set a world record 
    Interesting thanks for the info. Would be fun to have a world record, though i wouldn't 'go too far out of my way' to make it official.

So how long (distance) was your trip anyway?

EDIT: sorry just saw your other post. 18000km, you mentalists.

5. #5 Re: How to set a world record 
    C-Moto Regular
    This guy is currently attempting to break two records. 50 000 kms in 32 days, Follow him at http://www.nicksanders.com/2011/parallel_world.html

6. #6 Re: How to set a world record 
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that distance accrued on repeated routes must be deducted from the total, probably to stop crazy people driving up and down the same bit of road thousands of times.

Haha, I'm sure you would have to get fairly creative with your route planning, but the rules say nothing about the quality of the roads you should be driving on or whether you should be driving on roads at all
    Aaah, but then it ain't worth it.

I already calculated stuff and benzin would had costed 1800€ and it would had taken 3 months with 200km per day rate. I would had photographed every village and city, met a lot of Finnish people, documented tons of roads, and had plenty of fun for one summer.

Well, guess I need to figure out a new motivational for day dreaming