Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CIMA 2011 disclaimer.. very scary 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I was over at nciku trying to study some Chinese and saw this flash by >> http://motor.nciku.com/viewthread.ph...extra=page%3D1

Someone from MCM should get there and try to figure out the current big question :: Legal bikes that comply with the new C3 emissions protocol. Ofcourse, we also need lots of photos. I'm sure there will be lots of bikes and ladies to lust over this year too.

Ok, but I go on to read the disclaimer, here's a snippet::
    3. The organizers cannot guarantee that accidents will not happen. If accidents arise during this activity which causes deaths and injuries, I will relinquish all rights, including compensation and not pursue legal responsibility from the vehicle owners, drivers and organizers. I will be responsible for my own treatment. I fully understand that I should purchase insurance in case I get into an accident. This disclaimer will automatically be effective during the start, duration, and end of the activity. If I do not fully agree with this disclaimer, I will not participate in any of the events.
    wooaa ... I don't understand, what exactly are the organizers responsible for then ? What part of the word organize don't I understand ? Am I missing something here? Technically, this means that if a gas tank was to explode in your face it's just your own misfortune and you should just deal with it. Well, I don't have time go to Beijing anyway, so I'm safe here..

2. #2 Re: CIMA 2011 disclaimer.. very scary 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    The promotions should read, "Danger! Danger! Do not enter if you know what's good for you!" Dontcha love lawyers?

Another question: Why is there a motorcycles section on a chinese-language dictionary site like nciku??? Seems a bit incongruous!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: CIMA 2011 disclaimer.. very scary 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    The promotions should read, "Danger! Danger! Do not enter if you know what's good for you!" Dontcha love lawyers?

Everyone loves lawyers .. what would the world be like without them?

Now seriously, who's brave enough to go down there and get us answers to the questions that are keeping us up at night?

4. #4 Re: CIMA 2011 disclaimer.. very scary 
    When you go to Disneyland the back of the ticket has a liability waver…it typically says that your purchase of the ticket is with a full understanding that you are relinquishing the park of liability in the event of personal injury. Concerts and sporting events also do that, most buy the ticket without reading it and if they had to read and sign an acknowledgement they likely would dispute it and can if they realize they can. Most would not know that…until they talk to an attorney and have it explained to them. You can refuse to sign and not attend but you cannot have it slipped in on the back of a ticket....point is its nearly always there, in this case they are just asking you to accept it.