Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Buying a bike in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'm headed to China next week. I'm coming from Vietnam and most likely stopping in Nanning. I'm looking to purchase a motorcycle with plates and registration. Anyone have one for sale? Know of somebody? Have any good advice for me? Doesn't have to be in Nanning.

Scott

2. #2 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    I dont think it'll be that easy scott. Maybe someone has one for sale but more likely not. You have to have a Chinese licence to drive here also. Most second hand bikes you find around will be illegally assembled and not registerable. If you want to get legal you will likely have to buy a new bike and register at your address. It's a right pain in the tits here in shanghai. It may be easier down south. The driving licence should could take a good 2 months. I think it's still an open debate as to whether you need to have a z-visa to get the licence.

3. #3 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Scott,

In cities like Nanning, Kunming, Guiyang, Lijiang, Zhongdian, Yangshuo, etc, where adventure-minded foreigners congregate you'll have no trouble finding a bike that will serve your needs, and, if you have an appetite for risk, it will be easy to do. But as clegg said, it's virtually impossible for you to do this legally, even in the loosey-goosey south. This is done all the time. It can be done. Bikes can be had. But you'll have to accept up front that you'll be riding without any legal protections (not that being legal is much of an advantage, as Slabo recently discovered). You'll have no license or registration or insurance. If you are involved in any mishap, the law CAN come down hard, assigning you 100% of responsibility, even if it wasn't your fault. Even a routine traffic stop carries risk of fines, confiscation of the bike, time behind bars and even deportation, though this (to the extent we know) has been rare. There are plenty of instances where riders in such situations have talked, or paid, their way out of trouble. This is China and money talks. Until it doesn't, or it doesn't talk loudly enough at the amounts you are offering...

Several MCM members with less-than-legal status have had wonderful rides across thousands of kilometers, and have posted some brilliant ride reports -- even some quite recently. We just don't know the odds of having problems. But they do exist. You'll have to do your own risk assessment.

In summary, there is no question that you can buy and ride a bike in China on a tourist visa, but to do so legally is simply not possible. To own a bike and ride legal basically requires establishment of long-term residency, which means finding an employer (or a new spouse) and getting a residence permit, etc, etc.

Wish it weren't so, but this is China.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    if you have money you can get a residency without job. pm me for details

5. #5 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    mostly Pune, India, currently in shanghai
    aawwww. the points mentioned me here hurts. i was thinking of getting a bike for my commute but it seems that i am better off with the cage.

BTW, is the licence required only for riding on roads or is it that you require it every time you are on a bike? i mean, if i am offroading or if i am on a track, do i need a licence? i do have a indian liscence but i knw its just as usefull as winter jacket on a hot summers day.

6. #6 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
    aawwww. the points mentioned me here hurts. i was thinking of getting a bike for my commute but it seems that i am better off with the cage.

BTW, is the licence required only for riding on roads or is it that you require it every time you are on a bike? i mean, if i am offroading or if i am on a track, do i need a licence? i do have a indian liscence but i knw its just as usefull as winter jacket on a hot summers day.
    I doubt Chinese police are going to bother following you up a mountain to ask for license and registration. I'd say it's safe to say no, no need for lic offroad..

7. #7 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Can somebody help me please! I have legally obtained my C1E driving licence & now want to buy a legal secondhad jap bike 400cc e.g. XJR 400 etc Are there any places around Beijing that sell legal secondhand bikes with paperwork?
    Jing B plate is ok for me, I have been looking at bikes & friends have phoned up for me but all so far are not legal
    I know how difficult things are sometimes in China but my cool is now running out, this is really starting to piss me off
    I here lots of things but not sure what is true:
    You have to buy the plate first
    After the bike is 11 years old it will be scraped
    No 400cc bike is legal in China etc etc I just want to be legal & not have to worry if the Police pull me over any help advice would be great please help!

8. #8 Re: Buying a bike in China 
    No 400cc bike is legal in China etc etc I just want to be legal & not have to worry if the Police pull me over any help advice would be great please help!
    There are only handful of domestic made registrable 250cc+ bikes (YBR250, JH600, CF650, etc), and certainly "grey" imported bikes--smuggling commodity-- DO NOT legally registered.
    In short, you can view the claim as if true statement.