Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Maintenance rant 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Some observations over maintenance on Chinese bikes:

I have owned/maintained many non-Chinese bikes and ALL of them so far specify different tyre pressures for the front and back wheels and these change wether you carry a passenger or not.

The last 3 Chinese bikes I've bought simply give you a figure regardless. For example my Skyteam Honda Dax replicas and Qingi QM200GY just specify something like 2.25 kpa for both wheels. The weight distribution is hardly 50/50 on both of them, and on the Qinqi the wheels are different widths.
    Have they discovered something other reputable makers don't know?...do they care?.

My Qingqi owners manual does not call for valve clearance checks or adjustments on the maintenance schedule at all.
    On checking with the importers technical man he tried to assure me in a condescending tone of voice that "they don't EVER need adjustment Sir...". I reminded him that this Suzuki-like engine needs the valves checking/adjusting at 1000 km and at 4000 km intervals thereafter according to Suzuki's DR200 workshop manual.

I finally coaxed the clearances out of him, 0.5 and 0.8 mm he says...Knowing that Suzuki specify something like 0.08-0.13mm (0.003"-0.005") I asked him repeatedly wether he meant 0.05-0.08 mm he still insisted on 0.5-0.8mm.
    With these settings the engine would have more rattles than a millionaires baby...and wreck your valve gear in the process.

The Qingqi QM200GY-b has a rear shock absorber fitted with a schrader valve to inflate with a suspension air pump and regulate the pre-load. Not only is it not mentioned in the manual, but the importer denies it exists or claims that it's for nitrogen...

Basically you appear to be on your own when maintaining these bikes, can't rely on the makers data on tyres or the importers bullshit over maintenance data.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Chinese manufacturers probably are not at the level yet where they're really paying enough attention to these kinds of fine details that we've become accustomed to in western developed nations. Much of the riding and maintenance that goes on in China, and many other parts of the world, makes for machines that "Go"...not necessarily "Go Well". On one hand, having the correct specs is nice, but on the other, someone can learn how full a tire should be just by pressing on it.

In China, if a tire is too low, most people won't notice, care or take the time to fix it...as long as it gets them home. If you pull into a shop and ask them to put air in your tire, they'll likely put some in but you'll almost never see them bust out a proper tire gauge.

It's a totally different philosophy towards bike maintenance (or lack thereof) and I think we'll slowly see it coming around when the manufacturers understand the need/demands for these types of details in manufacturing and the literature they publicize or provide with every bike.

All in due time!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com