Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I really doubt that the major manufacturers cheap out on CARB approval, but anything is possible. They may cheap out on R&D to get to that level. Assuming the EFI can attain a level may be a panacea if the engine is not an efficient design to begin with. The multi-valves permit better oxidization of the fuel and burn completer.
Given the draconian China3 restrictions put into place last year, I doubt that the Chinese manufacturers are just going to sit on their hands. But they seem to work at their own pace. Jialing uses a very nice Bosch fuel injection system, but the word is that they are NOT using the latest algorithms from Bosch. That's because, while these would improve performance and probably reduce emissions, they are subject to increased licensing fees. If they've squeaked by China3 with a less-than-latest algorithm, they won't pony up for the newer version until they have to. Since they are not selling in California, or anywhere else in the US, they are probably OK with things as they are.

Jialing will feel more pressure when their big markets in Latin America, Africa and elsewhere ratchet up their emissions requirements.

I'm speaking mainly about bikes of 250cc and above. The smaller displacement bikes that they sell by the hundreds of thousands in China seem to be subject to less strict requirements, so they can still do well in the home market.

Would love to pin the Jialing and other executives down about this. Perhaps folks attending the big show in Beijing next week can ask some hard questions. Who's going anyway?

cheers