Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Another China Bike Accident 
    You guys won't believe it. After I watched this video I was driving along Shimen Lu (for those of you in Shanghai). There was a stale green light at the Weihai lu intersection. I am on the far left side and there are cars in the next 3 lanes to my right. Safe right? Right when I pass the intersection a scooter blasts through it from my right side. I hit the horn and the brakes but it seems that we are destined to hit. I barely pass ahead of his path as he grazes behind me without even slowing. The whole incident from the moment I saw him to the moment we nearly collided took less than 2 seconds. What was this guy thinking? He blew right through an intersection without stopping.

So the moral of the story is SLOW at every intersection. The more clear it looks to you the more clear it looks to others you may not see whether you have the right of way or not.

2. #12 Re: Another China Bike Accident 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    You guys won't believe it. After I watched this video I was driving along Shimen Lu (for those of you in Shanghai). There was a stale green light at the Weihai lu intersection. I am on the far left side and there are cars in the next 3 lanes to my right. Safe right? Right when I pass the intersection a scooter blasts through it from my right side. I hit the horn and the brakes but it seems that we are destined to hit. I barely pass ahead of his path as he grazes behind me without even slowing. The whole incident from the moment I saw him to the moment we nearly collided took less than 2 seconds. What was this guy thinking? He blew right through an intersection without stopping.

So the moral of the story is SLOW at every intersection. The more clear it looks to you the more clear it looks to others you may not see whether you have the right of way or not.
    How fast were you? I was in similar situation 1 month ago. That night in a long straight road, I was about to overtake a lorry. The road was well lit, I was at 80kph, before I spited my lane I had most concentration in front. And then, and a scooter cut me in from my left side as if I'm transparent... I felt cold and whole body was numb as to prepare the catastrophic impact.
    I remember beeped the horn 3 times, in a flash, I passed him from his behind. Before that, I had slide my bike, locked and recovered my rear wheel traction.
    I was terrified and sweated, rode slow for a few hundred meters, pulled over for a stop, feeling too much to recover my mood if continue riding. The closest moment I've been in a 2 wheel.

3. #13 Re: Another China Bike Accident 
    Wrangler, could you please put some kind of warning in your post, above the link for example, to state that the pics are very graphic ?

Reminders are a good thing, but some people do not need to see blood everywhere and compound fractures to be ATGATT and very careful out there.

Not a dig against you mate, but we should be clearly aware of what we will find by clicking on the link.
    As you can understand, I did not like what I saw. At all. Nobody need to see this to understand all the different gruesome injuries you can get on a human body by slamming into a car or truck...

4. #14 Re: Another China Bike Accident 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    Another stupid accident cause mainly by a car driver.
    Ayyy... his chances would be greater if he flew over the car, but he hit the car sideways and being pinned between it and the bike, his near instant halt must have killed or at least paralyzed him from the neck down. I think I can make out a helmet bouncing off the roof of the car just above the drivers seat. That most probably snapped the rider's neck.

Yes true, the accident was 'caused by car driver'. But definitely this is the rider's fault. Someone is driving a car in the middle of the night, on an empty road. He's probably in there talking to his girlfriend and maybe she changed her mind suddenly about going somewhere...

Whatever. some would say drivers must check their mirrors before turning, some would say car drivers should be checking their rear view mirrors every so often. Now to what was going on in the rider's head, or rather what should have been going on in there.. Roads are shared. That means it's your responsibility as a rider to allow other road users to make mistakes. Like turn suddenly in the middle of an empty road, or have a blowout and lose control of your car, or fall asleep, or answer the phone while eating a burger, or be busy getting blowjob... whatever it is .. as a rider, you should position yourself to be able to look back at a cager and say oh what an idiot, and ride on with your head still where it belongs, on your shoulder.. instead of smashing into something like a bug splashes a windshield...

'Cuz truly that's what we are when we riders hit anything bigger than us.. And almost everything on the road is bigger or tougher than our flesh and shields. ATTGAT protects you from accidents, not your own blatant stupidity. From watching the video, seems that the rider thought it would be funny if he passes the car within inches at that speed, maybe make the car driver shit his pants or something.. but it didn't work out that way.

So again, it is our responsibility as riders to ask our selves what's going on in the minds of motorists around us(the ones you see and the potential ones you don't, hidden behind a truck, in an alley, running out infront of a bus) :: does he/she/it see me, does he/she/it know how fast I'm going, where I want to go... What's wrong, what's right to do on the road... you can blame later, after you pass them... when you have a chance to take a breath and shout all sorts of curses, or better catch it on your HD camera and share here so we can curse with you... but before that, anything that happens is only your responsibility as a rider.. This sort of thinking, as opposed to spoiling for the next fight, might just save your life. Do you know any such riders? Riding and just looking for a fight, instead of just driving/riding ??

I wonder what the cameraman was doing there! It's almost like he told the driver to turn at that exact spot to have the perfect shot?

Riders like this, I don't think it's their first time do such stunts.. he probably got away with it more that once before.. but you can't be lucky all the time. Watching too much rambo movies are we eh? Riders like that give us motorcyclists a really bad rep. They walk into places bragging about their latest stunt and spread their wisdom, usually challenging others to do the same, or they'll be ousted as cowards or something.. Yeah, i know the kind well, we have plenty of these monkeys where I come from. This really pisses me off, not for his death/paralysis, but that more will follow, blaming 'the stupid car driver'. Arrgh .. I don't want to remember this stuff, enough..

Truly sorry, sorry for his folks and friends who knew the rider's other side, if he had a good side. But now Darwin's rule will take over.

5. #15 Re: Another China Bike Accident 
    My Bad... Will remember next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Wrangler, could you please put some kind of warning in your post, above the link for example, to state that the pics are very graphic ?

Reminders are a good thing, but some people do not need to see blood everywhere and compound fractures to be ATGATT and very careful out there.

Not a dig against you mate, but we should be clearly aware of what we will find by clicking on the link.
    As you can understand, I did not like what I saw. At all. Nobody need to see this to understand all the different gruesome injuries you can get on a human body by slamming into a car or truck...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12