Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a new, in-the-crate, 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200. The bike is being sold as excess stock, with no warranty, for a greatly reduced price ($950). Based upon my research, this looks like a pretty good deal. However, if this motorcycle is going to have a lot of mechanical problems, perhaps I should buy something else. What do you think.

i would not get one with no warranty. I paid 1100 for mine WITH The warranty.

2. #12 Zongshen Bikes Continued... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I finally sold the Sierra in Phoenix. Now im going to sell the GS next. the reason is that the lil v-twin "storm" is a much better made bike, all around. after riding the v-twin around town for a few weekends, and totaling over 1000 miles on it, and then getting on the "sportbike" for a little ride, it is a no brainer. the v-twin handles as good, if not better, is more "attractive" with is all chrome finish, gets equal gas mileage, is quiter, and I think will be more durable than the GS. I undersatnd that Zongshen is redoing the GS completely for 2009, and i will assume that means a real double cradle frame, and better suspension. I also understand that Zs will discontinue the the Sierra 200. further I have been told that the Storm will remain unchanged for the 2009 line-up, which will begin to arrive in the US in late Dec, or early Jan. (this from Zongshen America) As far as parts go, as of this writing I have had NO PROBLEMS getting parts from Zongshen. I destroyed the front rim of the GS, and had a new one within a week. Also, the speedo problem required a new instrument, as swapping out the new (and heavily greased) hub counter and cable did not fix the problem, indeed, about 12 miles after I got it going again, the indicater needle broke off inside the gauge. I reproted this and got a whole new instrument set sent to me within a week, free of charge, no questions asked. One issue Zongshen America does have it seems is very very poor packing of the parts they did ship me. I dont expect much trouble selling the GS, since it seems to draw people everywhere i take it. I will post in a different thread about my Storm model, and i will seek modification advice/reviews from other Storm owners about the exhaust/smog system.

Bmfwest
    03 Kaw Zrx1200R
    06 Zs 250-5 "Storm"
    06 Zs 250GS

BMF,

Great that you've had a chance to test all these bikes! Did you happen to take and pics of them when they were all together? Also, earlier you said that there were problems getting parts but that now it's gotten easier. What do you attribute to the change?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    well, since I am not a dealer, ZA would not ship parts to me directly. So, my issues surrounded the dealer that i got the bikes thru, who was not a real pre-existing bike dealer, just a small company that set istelf up to be one, for china bikes. they are still trying to get their act together. the process picked up, since i did in fact buy all 3 bikes thru the one dealer. as for the pics, sorry, I didnt take any at all, and indeed i have sold the Sierra, and like I said before, I am now going to sell the GS.

C-Moto Noob
    For interest sake: In South Africa, parts on the Zongshen bikes are no problem, because Kawasaki SA imports and sell them through their dealerships. One of the problems I have heard 2 dealers speak of is a shortage of stock on the 200-gy2 (sierra), because they sell so well.
    I have one, bought secondhand with 6000km on the clock - 2 years old, for the equivilent of just under $1000 US. there is a lot written on them on the 'chinariders' forums.

hey guys, I have a Zongshen 250gs sport but when i bought it the windshield was cracked. Im looking to sell it but i want to find a new windshield before i do. anyone know where they sell them at?

Pepperoni...

Check this link...

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451

It's good to search the forums first for people who have already tried to answer a similar question.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12