Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion...t_12844703.htm

Interesting article in China Daily by Jerry Woods, titled Shanghai traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic (but could apply to all roads in China).

It has been said that Henry Ford freed the common man from the limits of his geography.

In the late 1920s to early 1930s, there was a shift in the American psyche when the automobile was no longer considered a luxury but a necessity, as people were willing to sacrifice food, clothing, and savings in exchange for a shiny new piece of the American dream.

Although I don't think this has happened yet in China, in talking with many Chinese I get a very strong sense that for a growing sector of the new middle class, this is starting to emerge.

Using this as a jumping-off point, in my opinion, a 20-minute automobile ride in Shanghai traffic will yield more insights into the Chinese concept of logic than would a weeklong "Introduction to China" class.

From what I have read and observed, Chinese base the concept of logic using personal considerations of circumstances at hand and also take into consideration all kinds of diversity and contradiction - which leads to a more flexible decision-making process.

Trying to explain this to a foreigner can be difficult, but one left-hand turn into oncoming traffic will be a fabulous eye-popping example of the type of flexible decision-making that is appropriate and even "logical".

From my Western point of view, it seems "logical" to wait for the oncoming traffic to pass before trying to turn left, but for a Shanghai driver it is perfectly "logical" to try to beat the oncoming traffic - especially if another vehicle ahead is providing a block and it is possible to slip in behind using them as a shield.

From my Western point of view, it does not seem logical to try pass a slower-moving vehicle on a two-lane road if there is oncoming traffic, but for a Shanghai driver it is perfectly logical to start to pass, as he knows the oncoming traffic will simply swerve, allowing all three vehicles to simultaneously fit into the two-lane space.

This is another (often hair-raising) example of decision-making based on following the rules that are appropriate for the situation at hand - not necessarily on abstract principles considered as absolutes using straight-line thinking based on empirical knowledge from observation and experiments.

Shanghai traffic has been one of my best teachers, as it has prepared me to handle similar business situations where I have found myself trying to solve a problem that, at first glance, does not seem "logical".

In closing, I have a Chinese language book entitled Approaching Chinese - not Mastering Chinese or Learning Chinese or even Understanding Chinese.

The word "approaching" implies I will never ever reach a level that would suggest I was "there" and, like the Shanghai traffic, will never be a static target as it continues to evolve and change.

I have applied this same philosophy in my attempt to understand the amazing Chinese culture, and I accept the fact that I will only be approaching a complete understanding of the assumptions, motivations, and inner workings of the "Chinese mind".

In the meantime, I am content to continue my training from my master, Shanghai Traffic.

The author is the General Manager Of Asian Operations for Automatic Systems, Inc., lived in Shanghai for a year and a half, still travels frequently to China. Jerry is a guest lecturer on his experiences in China and of the Chinese Culture under the auspices of Dr. Dennis Karney at The University of Kansas Edwards Campus. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the China Daily website.

2. #2 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    Speaking about traffic and logic, I have some thoughts to add:

Say you are riding your motorcycle and you get hit by a person doing an "illlegal" turn. Policeman comes and says you are BOTH at fault. Well you ask why are we both at fault when you were the one who got hit while riding legally? Where's the logic in that you ask? There is no logic the cop says. "Jiur Jiang Ze" (That's just the way it is).

Well what can I do about it? You can't the cop says. "Mei Ban Fa"

So maybe there isn't really any logic. It's just pragmaticism and inconsideration that guides people to drive the way they do in Shanghai.

So here's an ethnic joke which I can say because, hey, I'm ethnic chinese too.

Q: How many Chinese does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    A: 15. 1 boss to tell them to screw in the bulb. 1 government official to collect the 500RMB to change the bulb. 10 to screw in the bulb (including the guys holding the ladder) and the remaining 3 to inspect the socket and figure out that the reason the light didn't go on in the first place was not the bulb but the problem with the wiring.

-Wrangler

3. #3 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    What a bunch of baloney.

Ideally, traffic regulations and laws are social contracts, formulated and enacted by following a due process, hopefully with representation from all walks of life. In a democracy, they gain legitimacy by including all the people into discussion who care to participate in the democratic process. Laws and regulations create order so that we don’t have to design and apply our own logic in every possible situations in life, at least in our public life when we must interact with other people. This makes a more efficient social structure and a more just society.

The fact that everyone in Shanghai traffic must carry out a “decision-making based on following the rules that are appropriate for the situation at hand” is simply lawlessness, pure and simple. This is what a beast must face and do in a jungle. 50 years ago Taipei (Taiwan) traffic was a similar mess until after the democracy took hold and several mayors in Taipei started to enforce the traffic regulations. Now Taipei traffic is impressively orderly, which probably is not an indication that Taiwanese have lost their “amazing Chinese culture”.

This is not a forum to discuss the political legitimacy of current regime in China. I’d only say that people in this “amazing Chinese culture” have an equally amazing lack of respect for law and order. Shanghai traffic is just a reflection of that and indeed of the “inner workings of the Chinese mind”. But please, don’t relate that to “Chinese culture”.

4. #4 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    What a bunch of baloney. Ideally, traffic regulations and laws are social contracts, formulated and enacted by following a due process, hopefully with representation from all walks of life.....
    For those of you who skipped Intro to Modern Western Philosophy, a refresher of Locke versus Hobbes can be found here: http://jim.com/hobbes.htm

Interesting to see this in light of China's long, rich history of philosophy & rule which culminates with the traffic culture we live within

5. #5 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    "Q: How many Chinese does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    A: 15. 1 boss to tell them to screw in the bulb. 1 government official to collect the 500RMB to change the bulb. 10 to screw in the bulb (including the guys holding the ladder) and the remaining 3 to inspect the socket and figure out that the reason the light didn't go on in the first place was not the bulb but the problem with the wiring."

How many chinese does it take to wash a window? 4, one to wash one to rinse, one to hold the bucket and one to make sure it's being done right (I guess maybe he could hold the ladder too if it came down to it but it's probly more likely they would call somebody in).

I can say this because it's not a joke and I have actually seen it. We've all seen the likes I reckon.

6. #6 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    C-Moto Guru
    As much as I hate Shanghai traffic, it seems to work. If this number of people were driving in a city like Toronto or Vancouver we would have complete gridlock. I cannot help but wonder if more strict enforcement of traffic laws in Shanghai would not hinder rather than help the situation. That being said, I completely detest the Shanghai left turn. There is nothing more scary than coming around a right hand corner & encountering someone driving straight at you in your lane trying to beat oncoming traffic.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    There is nothing more scary than coming around a right hand corner & encountering someone driving straight at you in your lane trying to beat oncoming traffic.
    I hate those decided violation, it left you a decision making to avoid them or force them stop.
    Similarly, some other time a guy coming from left ahead same direction as you. Most of them don't look their right, force you to adjust for them.
    Last edited by td_ref; 09-01-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: edited
    同志仍需努力

8. #8 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    why do you call it the Shanghai left turn? I almost got pulverized last night 2 km from my finally destination by such a left turn in Chengdu. I forgot TIC and flipped him the bird... TIC, I was the idiot to get worked up about it.

9. #9 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    why do you call it the Shanghai left turn?
    You're right, it needs a better term. Not only is it not specific to Shanghai but calling it that makes it sound like all Shanghai drivers do it. It is infuriating and incredibly dangerous. I find it to be the finest example of what one should learn to watch for and avoid while driving in China. It nicely demonstrates the mindset of a person who has neither respect for law nor concern for the safety of others.

10. #10 Re: Shanghai [China] traffic an embodiment of Chinese logic 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Well take this for respect for law:: driver turns his right signal on and slows down, starts to veer to the right...

You think, ok, he wants to park on the right, I'm safe, I can pass. Then suddenly he swerves across the street. AH! He wants to U-turn!
    (is this what you call a T-bone accident?)

I'd say it's not lack of logic but lack of basic morality... That went out the window long time ago here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast