Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    Hey all,

Just to share a nice discovery I made yesterday (perfect weather in Shanghai to ride BTW...).

There's a new asphalt road around the Dianshan Lake, on the east coast of the lake, very close to Zhujiajiao. It's not finished yet (no markings on the road, and the road itself is not finished after a few kms) but it's completely on the edge of the lake, the if-you-miss-a-corner-you'd-better-know-how-to-swim kind.

There's nobody on this portion yet, it has nice corners, it'll be a nice portion to ride on the week-ends with the gf when it will be finished. Yesterday was very windy, especially at the border of the lake, so had to ride leaned to the side even in the straights...

Dianshan Lake Road.jpg

On the map above, I put a X where it starts.

It's not the Nirvana, nothing compared to Moganshan roads, but it's nice and much closer to Shanghai anyway.

Cheers,

Fred

2. #2 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    Actually, while I'm at it, I can share another nice road (once again not the Nirvana, but when it comes to nice roads to ride around Shanghai, it's pretty good...) I go to regularly.

Nice road Shanghai.jpg
    This scenic road is along a river, under the shade of trees, and you can even stop for a picnic at some point, with benches and some rest areas just along the roads (look out for wooden stairs to find the place).

Warning : The only drawback of this road is that it's a concrete one, and the seals between each lane in the middle of the road are quite bad, sometimes there's a big height difference between the 2 lanes (up to 8cm). If you're not careful when overtaking or going over the middle line, your front tyre could easily slid.

When I only have a few hours on my schedule for a ride, I usually go to Sheshan, then this road just above, then the G318 towards Shanghai but I turn towards the Dianshan lake, sometimes to Zhouzhuang, and maybe now this new road I wrote about in the first post.

And I realize just now that I should have put all this in this thread, instead of creating a new one... http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-from-Shanghai Silly me, sorry for that.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.

3. #3 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    Thanks for sharing Fred! Will go check it out next time i'm out on the bike!

4. #4 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    [edited July-26, 2011]
    Good Stuff Fred.

Let's use roads2go to share tracks: www.roads2go.com

Add your tracks today!
    Last edited by MotoKai; 07-26-2011 at 01:44 PM.

5. #5 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey Fred, great find... always nice to find some newby rides especially when they are still fresh and not frequented by the masses.

6. #6 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Good Stuff Fred.
    Just added this as a track on Motowhere (see the thread just started). http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post30827
    This can be a great place for us all to share tracks around China.
    Add your tracks today!
    Hey Motokai, that is a nice site (motowhere <dot> com). Can routes be added with the entire route highlighted rather than just working through way points?

7. #7 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    Hey Fred, thanks for that. I headed out to the that straight road you metioned in your second post. It's a nice run through Sheshan, onto Taipuhe by the river and straight onto the Huqingping and back into Shanghai. It took me about 2 hours. I just wondered how you stumbled across it? It's barely visible on Google maps, and it wasn't that easy to find. Do you just head out exploring and see what you can find?

8. #8 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    Hey Dan, on that particular example, yes. When I'm looking for places to go, I always look on Google Maps for "landscapes", which means rivers, elevation, forests, everything except industrial zones. ;-))
    And because most of the time we cannot go for rides that are too long, too far outside Shanghai (well, except when I'm doing a 500km day to Taihu, Xishan and Dongshan and back in 12 hours riding like 2 weeks ago...), the choice is quite limited.

What I suggest for a nice Sunday morning ride from Shanghai is :
    - G318 from Shanghai, turn south on Jiasong lu
    - from there go to Sheshan
    - then go to the road you went to, by the river,
    - back on G318 towards Shanghai
    - but turn left when you reach the Dianshan lake,
    - go around the lake on the west side, up north, and down the east side on the new road in my 1st post,
    - then to Zhujiajiao and back to G318 to Shanghai.

You have there a 4 to 5 hours ride. It's of course much better to do it during the week to avoid the WE get-outs, but hey....
    I'll put a Google maps later, highlighting this trip for those interested.

9. #9 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    Respect.

I'm heading out for a short run on Sunday with Wrangler and we'll probably do the ride you've mentioned above. I rode straight past Dianshan Lake today as it was getting dark, but the new surface on the edge of the lake sounds really appealing. Perhaps that run might be worth posting on Motowhere. That site looks like it could be a great resource.

I'm also planning on heading out to Mogashan next week to find those twisties that you mentoned in one of your previous posts. That ride would definitely be worth posting on Motowhere for newbie Shanghai based riders like myself.
    Last edited by dewsnap; 07-25-2011 at 02:15 PM.

10. #10 Re: New "scenic road" for Shanghai bikers 
    [edited July-26, 2011]
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Hey Motokai, that is a nice site (motowhere <dot> com). Can routes be added with the entire route highlighted rather than just working through way points?
    This should be resolved with www.roads2go.com which is now updated on the thread used to promote tracks sharing: here

Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    I'm also planning on heading out to Mogashan next week to find those twisties that you mentoned in one of your previous posts. That ride would definitely be worth posting on Motowhere for newbie Shanghai based riders like myself.
    Hey Dewsnap,
    If you find some cool roads this weekend, please add them on www.roads2go.com
    Last edited by MotoKai; 07-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast