Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    I'm still not sure why you guys are determined to wear jackets. A summer jacket is still a jacket, and jackets are horrible in this heat. Mesh armor is mesh.

And rather than worry about liquid cooled jackets and vests that you put in your freezer overnight, do what i do and stop every hour or two, pay 1 yuan for a bottle of cold water, drink half of it and pour the the other half over your Tshirt. That cools you right down and keeps you cool as it evaporates.

2. #12 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    OK, I'm listening.

I came close to heat stroke on our jaunt down to the tank grounds on Sunday. I'm fine in my jacket while riding at speed, even in the sun, as long as I take in plenty of water. But more technical riding off road, including the occasional lifting of the bike after a getoff, and heat builds up fast. Big mistake. If we hadn't found water when we did, we, or at least I, might have been in real trouble. Motokai's jacket is more breathable than mine.

Yet I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable or safe riding at speed on highways in mesh armor as you've described earlier in this thread, as I think it would be less than useful in a high-speed getoff, g-d forbid. So I'm still partial to the Rev'it approach -- an actual jacket with armor but with lots of cooling air flow.

Felix, are you saying that your own sweat alone does not keep your t-shirt wet and, hence, providing the cooling function of evaporation? Fred did mention that he gets so much air flow that his shirt remains dry under the jacket, and this in fact worries me. Is it possible that our own sweat glands might fail to keep up with the evaporation that is allowed by a garment that allows high air flow? For me, a lot of sweat tells me that my own cooling mechanisms are working properly. I'd get nervous if were generating body heat but staying dry.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    As I mention in the previous posts, it's not that the body is not able to keep up with so much air flow, it is that it's so fresh inside (below 36 degrees Celsius I should add) that your body does not need to activate the sweating !
    Yes, if I was feeling hot and not sweating, I would worry too. But I'm not hot, I don't feel hot at all ! Like I wrote, I feel like riding in the 22-23 degrees Celsius weather, perfectly enjoyable, you're not feeling hot, you don't need to sweat.

Your cooling mechanisms do not need to get working, you're cool, not even hot.
    When I stop for red light or anything however, I start to feel hot under the sun after 4-5mn, then I start sweating, which is the usual body cooling process.

4. #14 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Thanks, Fred. Sounds like paradise! I'll go check out the Rev'it today. (Yes I said that last week, but got busy.)

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #15 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    "Is it possible that our own sweat glands might fail to keep up..." I laughed reading at that point. Human body can't fail that easily.
    I don't like riding at hot day at summer for long distance, feel like sitting on oven, and the skin burning sun on top. Pop in to a air-con car, everything is easier. My 1 fen.

6. #16 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I am such a hot guy, or so the babes tell me, that Speedos & flip flops are my only option. If, however, I was a mere mortal, that Rev`it seems cool - but so too does Felix`s Iron Man option, which is actually what I use when there are no babes around.

Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    Pop in to a air-con car, everything is easier. My 1 fen.
    Air-con bar. My 1980 FEC (foreign exchange certificate)

7. #17 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    I just got a mesh jacket and it is wonderful. It has shoulder and forearm pads and I wear back armor underneath it. Prior to getting the jacket, I went riding for four hours with Dewsnap and drank 8 bottles of water that day without the jacket. 6 on the trip alone. Went pee just once. I was quite dehydrated plus tan/burnt on the arms. I got the jacket in Hi-Viz orange. Definitely recommend it.

8. #18 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Wrangler, you saying you got the Rev'it Air jacket in day-glo orange? Or another model mesh jacket?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #19 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Wrangler, you saying you got the Rev'it Air jacket in day-glo orange? Or another model mesh jacket?

thanks!
    I got another kind: http://cgi.ebay.com/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-...01446494988849

Darn bright and I get a lot of weird looks but it helps drivers be aware of me.

10. #20 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Here's some pics of my jacket. You can see the pads are designed to allow air pass through. The jacket is of a fine mesh with the inside lining also a thinner mesh to wick away sweat.

Jacket.jpgJacket Padding.jpgJacket 1.JPGjacket 2.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast