Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    C-Moto Guru
    They do, but the zipper on my Frank Thomas jacket it slightly longer.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

2. #32 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks! It's OK so long as they line up correctly/symmentrically.

I recently got a very nice BMW jacket (awesome deals on Craigslist these days), and find that, once again, BMW is a world unto itself, making little attempt at compatibility. So I'll probably rip out the BMW zipper and put in one that works with my pants. It's a pain in the ass, but, believe me, it's super important. Someone I know had a bad crash and her injuries were far more severe than necessary because she forgot to zip her jacket and pants together and they were pulled asunder in the accident, thereby depriving her of what should have been very good protection. It's a pain to remember to zip in every time, but ATGATT means nothing if "all the gear" doesn't stay in place "all the time".

Cheers!
    jkp
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #33 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    C-Moto Senior
    The most important thing is fit and whether you can wear it whenever you ride. How does this jacket pack down? Could you stow it (and some pants, if people want to get the pants) in a small saddle bag? How do you feel about wearing it around?

I have to admit that most of the summer riding (in Florida) I did was in a tee shirt.

While I religiously wore leather roper gloves, boots, and a helmet, I simply didn't have the money for a decent warm weather jacket. Also as a full time commuter I simply couldn't stand wearing around a jacket OR stashing it every time I got off the bike. It's hard to consider convenience when we're talking about safety but I was always on and off the bike 5 - 10 times, or more, a day. The safety you have is the safety you wear and live with. Even if I had a nice jacket I probably wouldn't wear it most of the time. I saw it as a balance between where I really needed protection (obviously I want to be protected), and whether I could stand to actually put it on every time I got on the bike. That second bit is important because if you're jacket is on the rack at your house it doesn't do you any good, though the gloves and helmet you throw on every time you grab the throttle ARE there.

Maybe I'm lazy or disillusioned but what I've believe I've seen, strictly through me and my friends experience, is that the "gray" area where armor would make a large* difference is something like, less than 5% of accidents, where about 90% have minimal physical injury and the other -5%'s are not worth talking about.

Honestly I'd like to see more armored jackets in single tone and more casual looking. This jacket and most armored jackets seem to be designed to "look" like motorcyclist gear.

4. #34 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Perforated armoured Vanson leather (air-flow) and perforated armoured Dainese textile jackets (air-flow) work perfect so far for many years.

http://www.vansonleathers.com
    http://www.dainese.com

5. #35 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Maux,

So in Florida it's ATGSTT -- all the gear some of the time. I see a lot of rationalizing in your post. You are probably a young guy without family or responsibilities. It's the 5% or even 1% of crashes that destroy your life or someone else's. I know a guy in California right now, a hardcore bicyclist, 25 years old, always wore a helmet but also loved to race cars down a major boulevard because he could keep up and even beat them. Recently he was found on that boulevard in a heap. No one knows what happened, but in the three weeks since the accident he's not been able to speak a word, barely recognizes people, and has been diagnosed with major brain damage. He's going to be a massive burden on his family for the rest of his life, whether that's a few months or a few decades. They've had to drop everything in their lives and come out to California to accompany him, look after his care, and deal with the staggering expenses. He had no insurance. Irresponsible behavior can extract a devastating price.

So what does it really cost, in terms of your own life, to buy quality gear? What should it cost? Someone here, probably bikerdoc, has posted about the economics of financing safety gear. I don't remember in detail how he expressed it, but his point was that safety gear should represent a significant portion of your overall spending for motorcycling. He's always upgrading his safety gear, laying in a better jacket or better helmet. As I said in a previous post, don't discount the importance zipping your pants into your jacket, every time. This keeps your gear on your body, not down around your ankles or up around your neck. I can show you instances where this kind of separation has happened, with calamitous consequences.

There are good jackets for warm weather -- the Rev'it Air featured at the start of this thread, for example. They are not perfect and you'll end up sweating a lot in hot muggy climates like we have in summertime in eastern and northeastern China, but a couple hundred bucks should be seen as money very well spent.

As for your final paragraph, how your kit LOOKS should be toward the bottom of your list of considerations.

It's your life, and your ride. Choose wisely.

Anyway, that's my two shekels worth.

/RANT

cheers!

Last edited by euphonius; 09-09-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #36 Re: Rev'it Air jacket review 
    Some great jackets you guys have! I find down here close to Guangzhou it gets way too hot to wear anything like that. I'm quite happy with my gear. It's really breathable and I'm much more comfortable in it under the baking sun. The prices are far lower too =D

shirts.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234