Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: GY200 is whipping me. 
    C-Moto Noob
    barnone - I hope I didn't speak too soon. I haven't looked at the current spark. I will check it tonight and be sure it is stronger. If it is the same (weakness) then I will be forced to assume that the CDI unit was changing the timing and therefore wouldn't run.
    I got the CDI at this Link
    http://www.roketapartsonline.com/cdi...ts-p-9339.html

2. #12 Re: GY200 is whipping me. 
    C-Moto Noob
    barnone

"What does the spark look like now as compared to the weak spark?"

Ok, I checked the current spark now that it is running and it looks the same as when it wouldn't run. kinda weak looking but continuous. This must be normal spark for the 200GY. It had to be some other problem with the CDI that prevented it from running. I don't know if there is any way that a CDI can alter the timing of the spark but that is all that is left. I have read about performance CDI's that remove RPM limits and change certain performance curves. I think I have also read about CDI's advancing spark based on RPMs. If the standard plain Stock CDI is able to limit RPM's then possibly, if it had a malfunction, it could throw the timing off enough to keep my engine from running.

Any other opinions out there?

These black boxes are indeed a mystery

3. #13 Re: GY200 is whipping me. 
    DonS,
    Thanks for taking the time to check the spark. I was wondering if you could notice the difference. I would not think that the CDI would affect the intensity of the spark since it just triggers the coil.

You might want to swap the coil and see if the spark increases but then again you might not since the bike is running fine now. Something about if it ain't broke don't fix it?
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #14 Re: GY200 is whipping me. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    I don't know if there is any way that a CDI can alter the timing of the spark but that is all that is left ... These black boxes are indeed a mystery
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    I would not think that the CDI would affect the intensity of the spark since it just triggers the coil. You might want to swap the coil and see if the spark increases but then again you might not since the bike is running fine now. Something about if it ain't broke don't fix it?
    In my case (noted above), the Honda mechanic tried to explain to me (as my eyes were glazing over) that with certain "faulty black boxes" the timing was affected by various factors, including ambient temperature & humidity. Huh? WTF? But how can one argue over that mysterious electrical stuff that one cannot actually see. Anyways, I paid my service bill, got my bike back & it worked. I was happy.

Barnone's suggestion to swap out the coil makes the most sense re the weak spark, but his wise observation that "if it ain't broke" ... yeah, that is the one I would follow! (with a spare coil in my tool box, just in case)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12