Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    My JH600 has been stalling like crazy recently, usually during idling or downshifting....
    同情!Since fixing the original problem with my 减压阀, my bike stalls more than ever now. Also have a problem getting it started from time to time. It turns over and over and over taking multiple attempts before catching (sometimes as long at 30seconds).

Last time it happened was on Saturday when I was in traffic on a busy highway - switching lanes at low speed (downshifting from 3rd to 2nd). There I was sitting in between lanes with trucks and buses trying to slalom around me (honking their horns). After about 20seconds of thumbing the starter it finally caught and I moved over safely. Not sure why this stalling problem is happening now, but guessing that it's related to the 减压阀 since this was just repaired.

[Edit: Agree with euphonius (see below) that I will start documenting the problem - frequency and other related data]

2. #22 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Damn and double damn.

My bike stalls from time to time, but why would it be that mine stalls so much less than yours.

Perhaps we should try to quantify the problem with some data on how often it happens to each of us. Then we can plan a class-action lawsuit. OK, maybe we just start raining down on Jialing like a ton of bricks.

How about other JH600 owners? Richard? David? Barry? Pfaelzer? Others?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    sadly motokai the problem you had before may have caused some valve damage

if its stalling and hard to start you may have a leaking valve... you can test for this by giving it a compression test, which is a bit tricky with an auto decompressor for obvious reasons

so the only way is to give it a leakdown test

that is pressurise the cylinder at tdc and see if its leaking
    if your lucky you may find a workshop with a leakdown tester , if not you can use any source of compressed air attached to a gutted out spark plug

4. #24 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post

(snip)
    Dear Zhu,

Interesting hypothesis. What would be the mechanism by which the decompression valve fault would cause damage to either intake or exhaust valves? A chunk of the failed part gets flung into the valves during the piston's upstroke?

Damn.
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #25 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    Your response has me concerned. But here's my optimistic afterthought:

Since I have refueled twice since the repair, I'm hoping it's "Bad Gas" on the last one.
    But to be honest with myself, the bike is reacting different from the normal JH600 "Bad Gas" symptoms.
    She'll be going on the train this week (heading to Beijing), so after I siphon out the remaining fuel of the last fill and get some new fuel in her, I'll see how she reacts.

6. #26 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Double-post deleted

7. #27 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    guys i really hope this is not the case but if the decompressor malfunctions it could hold the exhaust valve open slightly and cause it to be burned
    result of this is loss of comp = stalling and hard starting

hope this hasnt happened , but as i said you can check by testing the cylinder sealing at tdc

8. #28 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Both my 2-wheeled "A" and my 3-wheeled "B" are stalling much more frequently these past few weeks. Very odd that it seems to be happening simultaneously with several bikes, both in Beijing and Shanghai.

How can this be? Both of my JH600s were running fine until recently. The stalling and hard starting are way more than before. What has changed?

What makes a bike run? Compressed fuel & air, ignited by a spark at the perfect moment.

Is there any way that this high summer humidity can be wreaking havoc with our mixture? Wild shot in the dark, but I'm grasping at straws. We know altitude affects mixture ... etc, etc, etc. It is damn hot & humid in Beijing these days, and I'd guess the same in Shanghai.

9. #29 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Look no further than the great bar scene in Hitchcock's The Birds, when crazed birds are attacking everyone in town (in little Bodega Bay, Sonoma County).

A drunk Scot at the bar:

"It's the end of the world, I tell you! The end of the world!"

Or not.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #30 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Just out to get my Du Rui racks fitted (BTW: don't try to install these racks the same way as the stock racks!), and she stalled on me at every fourth stoplight - about 7 times in total back and out. Would have been more but I jumped on the NeiHuan when returning as I needed to get back to the office and didn't want her to stall any more.

Also, after fitting the racks she wouldn't start at all....firing and firing but no start. The other Jialing owner I was with (Master Zhang), pressed the dashboard controls in a certain sequence to bring up the diagnostics check. This is probably in the owner's manual but I didn't get past page 4! I'm sure LJH you can find it in the Service Manual. The dashboard readings showed a series of error number which he then cross-referenced against a chart he kept on his HTC. It showed that the problem was indeed the battery. After a quick charge off of his mianbaoche I was on my way.

So......I throw this into the conversation. LJH mentioned "heat" as a culprit which in fact puts the fan to over-use. Could this (or something else) be drawing some needed current away from the "core" causing stalls and making starting difficult? [Sounds better than a decompressor problem.]

* P.S. During the valve repair the coolant was dumped out when they removed the radiator. After putting the bike back together, the fluid was replaced with H20 rather than coolant. Could this have an effect?
    The other thing that was changed was the spark plug. Any relation?

* P.S.S. I'll get the dashboard sequence and the reference chart from Master Zhang and distribute here for our use.
    Last edited by MotoKai; 08-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast