Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    As mentioned in the post of Dewsnap some time ago, I bought a new Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai. The registration took 2 weeks and I had to go to Germany for a hometrip (and to see my old BMW J).

k-IMG_5238.jpg

k-IMG_5274.jpg

k-IMG_5313.jpg

Now I am back to SH and have picked up the RR on last Saturday. The overall impression was good:

- the engine runs smoothly from idle to midrange revs, good torque characteristic, low vibrations. Stable idle, the engine does not die when shifting down, no gaps in revs and almost no backfiring
    - the gearbox works just a bit too “tight”, especially when shifting from 1. to 2., but it’s new. No problems to find neutral.
    - The clutch works smoothly, too
    - The engine starts immediately after hitting the starter, both cold and warm
    - The shocks work quite well. The rear shocks even better than in my old BMW
    - I did not have the feeling that the engine overheats and did not smell (what I remember was claimed by Dewsnap). Also the cooling system has been tight so far.

The engine did not overheat although - and now come the bad news – there was not enough oil (below min. level) and coolant (only traces at the bottom of the reservoir)!!!

Moreover the brake fluid level of the front brake is too low, too. Nothing to see through the sight glass. I have the feeling the front brake has air in. I told them when being still in the shop that the travel of the brake lever is too far but they said, this was normal. I cannot fix it at the moment as one of the screws of the brake fluid reservoir is already damaged – the cross recess in the head. So, I want to drill it out. The bolts are very soft, nothing like bolts 8.8 or 10.9.

Also still being in the shop I claimed too large clearance of the accelerator grip (approx. 60°). They tried to fix it but in vain. At home I found out that the grip has too large axial movement and the fixing bolt in the bottom of the casing is missing. See pic. This should be a special bolt with reduced tip or perhaps some more parts. Dewsnap, could take a look at your RR from below to check if this bolt is there. Or do you have also just an open thread hole?

k-IMG_5676.jpg

k-IMG_5678.jpg

In general I must say that the guys at the shop have not done a good job at the assembly. Especially the low level of engine oil, coolant and brake fluid are not acceptable!

I want to fix it all by myself now because of some “lack of trust”. But I need the missing parts of the accelerator grip.

I will keep you posted!

2. #2 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Regular
    The open hole in the throttle assembly is actually for a second "push" cable. In other words, the throttle assembly was designed to use two cables: a "pull" cable (which you obviously have) which is fastened with a teardrop shaped clip screwed into the housing, and a "push" cable which has a threaded collar that screws into the housing just below the "pull" cable.

It looks like you are missing a cable which is contributing to your throttle woes.

/Mike

3. #3 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Mike. thanks! The size of this thread is really as such as to accommodate another cable. I was not aware of such an arrangement so far, a "push" cable? What is the purpose of it? I new pull cables only so far.

4. #4 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Most throttle assemblies provide positive force in both directions -- upward when you accelerate, and downward when you decelerate. The point of the latter is to enable the rider to reduce fuel to the engine actively and rapidly, rather than passively. Neither cable actually "pushes"; both actually pull. One pulls the fuel flow open, and one pulls it closed.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Euphonius, thanks for the addition to Mike's post. Obviously my knowledge in this field is pretty outdated (perhaps due to my old Gummikuh ), thus I'm happy to learn something new. This double acting assembly is for sure helpful for big displacements / outputs, I guess. Probably it does not depend on carb / EFI option? Anyway, the Raptor is my first bike with EFI, but I suppose the second cable has just not been forseen by Lifeng. I rather guess that the mess is caused by poor selection, quality and fit of the components. The core of the cable seems too long, thus you cannot adjust it using full range at both ends. The adjusting threaded bushes at both ends are also quite wishy-washy. In addition something crackles inside the assembly when turning and passing through one certain position.

But this is not the only adjustment issue in this game. I also have to adjust my claim and attitude since it is my first Chinese bike . As such I have to relax a little and see it more globally. So far, if that was it in regard to deficiencies, the value for money is still good, Chinese domestic market considered.

Ah, BTW, another adjustment was not done in the store but needed: there was no gap at the clutch lever, means the clutch was under permanent tension but just a little. It did not slip or burn so far. And this adjustment was easy, the lower cable end had still enough thread, so just one simple grip.

A confirmation about the second cable - Dewsnap or another DD250-2N owner please - still needed.

6. #6 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    Hey Macieq, only just found your post, i'll be sure to check my bike and report back to you tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear about the shoddy service you recieved on your new Raptor, especially after stating the mechanics were good. I have to agree, no oil, coolant or brake fluid is an absolute joke and a real liability. I'm really surprised (perhaps i shouldn't be) by that level of service. I do know that your bike had been stood on the showroom floor for a couple of weeks while you were in Germany, and the optimist in me likes to think that they could have left the final stages of assembly until you came back and then somehow forgot to do it before handing you the keys?

But i'm glad your happy with the bikes performance so far. It seems like you're having none of the problems that i had on my bike. I must have bought a lemon!
    What mileage are you at now? Are you going for the hard or soft break in?

You might be pleased to know that i'm still very happy with the DD250G-2N's performance after 5000kms. She's fully broken in now and running better than ever. After all the initial problems the bike keeps improving, so that's a big up for your new bike.

7. #7 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Dan! Good to hear your RR performs well. Yes, i am generally happy. Especially the main featuers are fine. Of course I ride carefully at the moment, only up to midrange revs. The highest speed was 80 km/h so far. But the milage is almost nothing yet, 90 km. I just bought the oil and the coolant and some other stuff. I did not want to ride without those 2 important liquids and have been quite busy, so did not ride since Sunday. But I rode only with 2 persons so far (my wife). Therefore, I have to admit that this little beast develops pretty good torque at lower revs, if you consider it is 250 cc only. And it runs smoothly, without excessive vibrations, what I like. Regarding the store, I do not know. Perhaps they trusted too much in the factory and did not check those items (I guess the oil and coolant where already filled up). As far as the brake fluid is considered I am not quite sure yet. Maybe the reservoir is as much full as you cannot see anything in the sight glass because it is high. First I have to loose the small troublesome bolt. I do not have enough good tool yet. I do not know where I can buy high quality bits for the screw driver for example. In B&Q they have only this crappy stuff. Even that one called Bosch is shit, you can see it at first glance. It is cheap but useless.

One more finding and question for you. My rev meter displays much too low revs. For example at 80 km/h in 5. gear it was only 5000 rpm which is impossible. In addition it seems to me my speedometer shows too low speed, which is absolutely untypical!!! I think I have a quite good feeling for speed. So, I would say at 80 km/h on the display it was 85-90 in real. If so, the rev meter is even worse because it should be something in the range of 7000 rpm. What about yours? Have you GPS your speedo?

8. #8 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    The rev counter is absolutely useless. Mine jumps up and down from 0-8000 rpm on any kind of incline.

9. #9 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    Hey Macieq. I looked at my bike today and i have an open screw hole under the throttle the same as yours. I never even noticed it before.

I don't have a gps so i haven't seen how accurate the speedo is but i don't have much faith in it at all if it's anything like the rev counter. Completely unreliable.

10. #10 Re: New Regal Raptor DD250-2N in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Regular
    It perfectly OK to run a "push-pull" throttle assembly with a single "pull" cable. You might want to plug the open hole with a plastic cap to keep dirt out of the throttle sleeve.

Your tachometer sounds as useless as the POS Triumph puts on their America & Speedmaster models. Fortunately, adding a new aftermarket tach is simple and cheap. Koso and Acewell are brands I've used before and found to be of high quality.

/Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast