Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Honda Vietnam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Honda Vietnam 
    Honda Motors announced today that they will be increasing production capacity of motorcycles in Vietnam from 2M units to 2.5M units. The additional capacity will come from a new 500,000 unit production facility.

The line offered in Vietnam has many offering with Honda's PGM-FI.

Vietnam has the fourth largest market, behind China, India and Indonesia . Currently Honda controls two thirds of the total sales in Vietnam.
    Honda Future X-FI

2. #2 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Comparing Vietnam's size to China and India, Vietnam is number one for bike usage. The whole country moves on two wheels..

I was there three months ago, here's what those 2Million bikes look like on the streets of Ho Chi Mingh City (Saigon)..

Some crazy riding.. They come at you from everywhere. It's a bit overwhelming riding in such an environment. I spent almost 3 hours riding as a pillion with a motorcycle taxi, because I didn't have a passport to rent my own bike at the time. at 5:00 I got my own bike. It was a bit scary, but I got used to it quick enough. But just thinking if one bike in that swarm takes a tumble... and you're in the middle of "bike pile-on" ... lol .. just thinking of it.. I rode from 5 pm till 8 am .. taking breaks for coffee, beer, sandwiches ... in total .. 104 km in Saigon. After that it feels like second nature riding with so much going around you. If you think streets in China were crowded .. think again.

3. #3 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Wow - those pics are cool. Probably not many large displacement bikes?

I was surprised to read about the 2/3 market share that Honda has. Not sure why that would be. I mean, Honda makes a really great bike, but so too does Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc.

4. #4 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    The people don't wear full gear too.

5. #5 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yes, Vietnam seems to ride by a different standard altogether. I've read that motorcycles comprise 90% of all vehicular traffic there. Check out this image:

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Photo is real, I can confirm that. But I have yet to see Bankok, similar?

What was very surprising in 'Nam is that I didn't see even one Chinese made vehicle. No cars, motorcycles, nothing made in China. Only Japanese and European brands, and maybe some of those tiny Chevy's. I was told that Vietnam imports some construction vehicles though.

About big bore bikes, I found this shop while cruising around Saigon..

7. #7 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Yes, Vietnam seems to ride by a different standard altogether. I've read that motorcycles comprise 90% of all vehicular traffic there. Check out this image:

cheers
    Why is the first thing I notice about this picture that more than 90% of them have helmets?

8. #8 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Why is the first thing I notice about this picture that more than 90% of them have helmets?
    Because you look out of the window and see the reverse ratio...

9. #9 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    WTF can be going on in that photo? Mass protest or mass traffic jam? I'd kill myself if I had to put up with that traffic. And where the f**k is Waldo?

Don't need no stinking helmet in that mess. You couldn't fall down if you wanted to.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

10. #10 Re: Honda Vietnam 
    The 65-66% claim of the total market sales in Vietnam would represents a total annual sale rate of 4.32M for motorcycle in Vietnam.

All thing being equal then China, India and Indonesia would have total sales ranking respectively above that number.

Just for a perspective, Yin Xiang claims production capacity of 1.2M annually and also that they were primarily exporting until 2008. However they exported only 360,000 units in 2009 and began selling domestically 5000 units. If the number is monthly then they are producing 480,000 unit annually and well under half of its total production capacity.

I could have used any Chinese manufacturer just for an example how huge the capacity to manufacture is in China.

If total capacity does not come close to total demand then it becomes very inefficient, it can and usually does bleed capital, it has to reduce operating cost and typically lays off workers and in many cases sells off assets, that is called downsizing.

Many of these manufactures are operating as an OEM basically not seen as in behind the scenes, the small fragmented distribution systems fail and they loose out in a big way. Push systems do not endure they eventually collapse. The market is collections of consumers and they have to be cultivated and then feed products that meet their demand.

Honda is winning in Vietnam because they are manufacturing a very good product that is produced domestically and in that cycles capital into the domestic economy, it becomes favored or even adored.

Conversely nobody knows who Yin Xiang is they could disappear and nobody would notice them gone.
    However they could have been Hyosung in china, they could have developed and produced those models to the new standard for C3 and be selling them in china today….but they are not are they.

Oh well… would a could a should a?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast