Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    They need some real proven R&D. Get 10 to 50, lend them out to experienced riders, send them out around the world to potential markets sign them up to non-disclosure for a few months, iron out any issues and generate some favorable word of mouth publicity and have them as demo bikes. Of course this doesn't happen. What does is companies desperate to fill containers and make money whilst brainwashing themselves that they are wonderful, whereas everyone else remains unconvinced.

2. #22 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    I wonder how many samples have gone out to distributors? Nobody with any sense would buy a container of them without first getting a sample and testing it.

But they have no common shared networks, the distributions are not linked, that being if ten samples went out then it would be very unlikely the ten separate distributors have a method to share testing results and the factory should actually facilitate that.

Display how many went out for testing as samples and to who….then the results reviewed openly by all.

It all roots to the process in the factory and in that tagging everything and documenting everything at the factory. The ten samples should be identified with sequential VIN numbers. They should go out with complete documentations and linked to the market in a database on shared server.

In more perfect world you have a catalog that has production models and also models in development.
    The status of development leads to a production model, how is that status managed, is it a process and can that process be displayed in a manner that is confidence inspiring? Inspiring to stakeholders to those that actual exist in a well defined value chain?

What defines value, it is not simple words on paper, it is arranged information that is highly functional and in that informative, it is not false promises or false claims.

3. #23 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    These bikes are now out and I test drove one a few time in Shanghai at the "dealer", the first factory order is sold out and it will take 30 day to order one. Word on the street is Beijing received 200 units to various dealers mostly pre-orders... Shanghai is not so lucky.

Prices Range from 24,000rmb to 27,000rmb, plus tax and plate fees.

now the important stuff,

I tested the bike at Knight Rider motorcycle shop, The address is on here somewhere. Its Near Hunan lu in Pudong Shanghai off the middle ring road.

The place has a MX track in the back so I tested the bike there.

1st impression is it finally looks like a proper bike rather than the previous attempts which involved a large bike fame but tiny motor and so the dimensions were all off. For a change this bike was surprisingly tall, I am 185, 85kg and I could manage a full foot plant but it’s a stretch for anyone below 180 I would think.

The welding on the frame is passable, as a welder myself I would consider reinforcing certain areas of the sub frame but the engine mounts and major frame components look fine.

The bike is Carb’d so for us ADV guys that good news. However it is electric start with no kick start, not ideal.

Throttle housing and switches are standard M.I.C stuff nothing to complain about but nothing to get excited about.

The seat is a wider version on the usual punishing MX style seat, it seemed comfy enough.

My test bike had rear side luggage (aluminum) which is after market as well as a front crash bar which too was aftermarket.

The bike fired up after a few tries, it was a cold bike, outside in the cold and its Carb'd. After the usual warm up with the Choke engaged the bike was ready. The stock exhausts are a little loud for stock but it does remind you are on a "dirt" bike. At first I took the bike out and around the parking lot to get a feel for it, I immediately noticed that a 400cc bike is a bit underpowered for my taste. The bike had no problem nor do I think its engineering was bad it just a 600-650cc engine might be nicer for those extended bits on road riding we all end up doing... But off-road that’s a different story, we want a lighter more nimbler bike to play with in the Jungles of Laos and Thailand etc.
    The bikes suspension did well to good on the track, I was rolling around the track not racing, trying to emulate real off road touring conditions, seemed to be plenty of low end torque and "grunt" so I did not feel bogged down like my 250cc mx in the mud.
    Seated riding position was normal and comfortable standing on the bike the pegs were too small and the bars to low but that all easily rectifiable and besides I am on the taller side of the customer scale.
    Lighting for the bike was simple and off road wise utterly useless, the addition of some spot lights from Taobao is a must.
    The brakes to be honest are not the greatest on the test bike but in its defense it was a real "beater" the shop mechanics use and abuse it all day long, but even if out of the factory the brakes aren't enough that’s easy enough to upgrade and improve.
    Looking at the photos I took you can see that there is a small diameter bar protecting the gauge cluster and too me it looks like a perfect starting point for a GPS mount of even a GoPro mount.
    The tires that come with the bike seem to be fine for what the average user needs but for the few of us that really push of ADV stuff either better aftermarket dual sport tires are needed or bringing knobbies when the going gets tough and swapping out roadside.

That’s all I can think of right now....

IMG_2281.jpgIMG_2280.jpgIMG_2282.jpgIMG_2283.jpgIMG_2284.jpg
    Trick HD XL883 R, Jialing 600B, Chang Jiang 750,CF Moto 650 "G"TR, Sachs 125 Madass, Skyteam Ace 125 cafe racer and a Hong Du 250cc dirtbike

4. #24 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    So I can't understand how it can be registered if it has a carb. My understanding was that once over 150cc the emissions would be too high and you need EFi to meet current emissions.

5. #25 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    OK, I'll sacrifice myself and be a beta tester for Shineray. For free.

Where do I sign up?

I do not know what is your your opinion, but I can not understand why Chinese manufacturers so often omit kickstarter (most Honda Rebel clones, Qingqi's engines, Xingyue 400, this Shineray...) - it's annoying.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

6. #26 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    I tested the bike at Knight Rider motorcycle shop, The address is on here somewhere. Its Near Hunan lu in Pudong Shanghai off the middle ring road. The place has a MX track in the back so I tested the bike there.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...hanghai)/page3

7. #27 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge
    OK, I'll sacrifice myself and be a beta tester for Shineray. For free.

Where do I sign up?
    Haha, 27,500 RMB in cash before any Beta testing mate.

8. #28 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I understand that its a new bike and have not been properly tested yet and buying it is a risk but i cant find anything similar to it. I need a dual sport with a big tank....600cc are too big for me, was thinking about used Honda XR250 Baja but its hard to find, only one other i can think of is Galaxy ADV 250 but i also know nothing about this bike.

Shanghaifingers thanks for your opinion, its helpful. I might just take a risk and get it since Chinese internet says that the bike is very good.....the only thing...... not worth the price.
    As for the kick start, there isnt one on the bike (cant see on pictures) but here is a link to X5 engine and there is a kick start http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=15992961260

9. #29 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron
    I understand that its a new bike and have not been properly tested yet and buying it is a risk but i cant find anything similar to it. I need a dual sport with a big tank....600cc are too big for me, was thinking about used Honda XR250 Baja but its hard to find, only one other i can think of is Galaxy ADV 250 but i also know nothing about this bike.
    Even though I wouldn't personally get the bike that's mostly because I'm not in the market for a dual sport. I am still concerned that it can't be registered because I don't understand how a single 400 with a carb can pass emissions, and I wouldn't want to be touring China unregistered.

If however everything is legal and OK and you get the bike it would be great to have someone's impressions after 10,000 kms. I also don't really trust any of the Chinese internet's opinions one what is or isn't a 'good bike', as any bike builder knows a bike is just a collection of parts, some 'bad' bikes can be rescued by changing a few key components others would need to be rebuilt from the ground up with all new parts.

10. #30 Re: Shineray XY400GY 400cc Adventure Bike 3d model pics 
    Remains hope that the people in Shineray have the wisdom to accurately "transcribe" Honda XR 400 to their bike.
    Last edited by Zorge; 01-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast