Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi new to the forum, I know its not chinese (Korean) but still in the same camp in my mind, got this thing for a song as it needed a little work done, only a 125cc cruiser but the frame is built like a tank and should take alot more horses, I find it realy comfortable to ride with my bad hip and right leg so rather than trading in for a more powerfull machine I would like to know if there is any other larger cc engines that could fit even with a bit of reworking, the VL125cc has an engine seemingly based on the Honda CG125 but I am not convinced, when I got it I was lucky enough to get two working 125cc engines with it, one is a 2 valve air cooled 125cc with external oil cooling and the other pressently fitted is a 4 valve air cooled 125cc with no external oil cooling and is quite fast. As I quite often carry the Mrs as pillion when going over to our boat for a bit of sailing and fishing I would like a bit more power to get up a couple of steep hills on the way so I was thinking 200 or 250cc any body got any helpfull info or advice on these machines please?
    cheers and beers
    Phil UK

2. #2 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    PhilUK,
    How about a photo of you bike and the engine?

My DF250RTB has a CG250 engine which is actually 229cc and it is based on the Honda CG125.
    Maybe it will fit in your bike. Maybe someone here can advise on the power gain.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hey welcome to the forum how much space have u got under your tank as a generalisation ill root through and see if i can find anything in the 250 if u do an engine swap let me kno as im after a 4 valve for my bike

4. #4 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    Shineray used assembly this Daelim in China. Chinese model :XY125-20 http://mvgg.com/vehicle/model/401/305ebf9.html
    Daelim used had good relation w/ Honda. IF the "holes" are similar, engine from this old lady-- CB250n SuperDream which is "GREAT"

5. #5 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    PhilUK,
    How about a photo of you bike and the engine?
    Now this looks just the job! it looks nearly the same as the 125cc in my frame at the moment and if my eyes dont deceive me it is a single cylinder engine just like I would prefer? Photos soon as it is in bits under a tarpaulin at the moment as we have very heavy rain and the dreaded flood warnings here in Northumberland UK at the moment, any chance of a close up pic of the front engine mounting please?
    Phil

My DF250RTB has a CG250 engine which is actually 229cc and it is based on the Honda CG125.
    Maybe it will fit in your bike. Maybe someone here can advise on the power gain.
    Going to do a bit of research on this one after I get back in from work tonoght, cheers.

6. #6 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Shineray used assembly this Daelim in China. Chinese model :XY125-20 http://mvgg.com/vehicle/model/401/305ebf9.html
    Daelim used had good relation w/ Honda. IF the "holes" are similar, engine from this old lady-- CB250n SuperDream which is "GREAT"
    Now that is interesting as I was told Daelim was assembled in Japan before they were sold to Korea, for some reason my browser is having problems with your link but I will try again later after work, Thanks.
    Phil

7. #7 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by relentless addict View Post
    hey welcome to the forum how much space have u got under your tank as a generalisation ill root through and see if i can find anything in the 250 if u do an engine swap let me kno as im after a 4 valve for my bike
    Not a problem I will put your name on it lol, will post some pics soon showing the room available, the 4 valve does seem to have the edge even without external oil cooling, going to do an exhaust mod soon which is desperately needed due to the poor condition of the one fitted.
    Phil

8. #8 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilUK View Post
    Now that is interesting as I was told Daelim was assembled in Japan before they were sold to Korea, for some reason my browser is having problems with your link but I will try again later after work, Thanks.
    Phil
    The above URL are just specs assembled by chinese
    Google translate this "intresting" link : http://www.mtuo.com/zt/detail.asp?id=225

9. #9 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Noob
    This is exactly the same as my bike even the colour, this one has the bare metal engine with oil cooler fitted at the moment mine is fitted with a black 4 valve no oil cooler, mine have a luguage rack, back rest (sissy bar) and leather paniers, as you can see there is quite a bit off engine room and some of the silver pannels to the rear of the engine are fake covers, mine is soon to be fitted with a single slash cut turnout exhaust, thats if the picture uploads this time?

10. #10 Re: Daelim VL125 engine possibilities please 
    C-Moto Noob
    Attachment 5258try this one