Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Don't forget you can also put spacers underneath the fork cap to tighten up the preload. You loose a bit of travel but it may be worth it and it's not hard to do if you're changing the oil anyway.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Don't forget you can also put spacers underneath the fork cap to tighten up the preload. You loose a bit of travel but it may be worth it and it's not hard to do if you're changing the oil anyway.

CC
    That is true CC, but I will see how the 20W oil goes this weekend. Adding spacers is a much simpler process than changing the fork oil, so if I am still having problems I will just throw some in later.
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

Ok, so I put a 20 weight oil in my forks on the weekend. Did it the easy way, and just put the fork upright in a vice, loosened the fork nut, lifted it and poured in what I took out (+10%), which was only 175mL which surprised me. Maybe I didn't get it all out? I dunno, but it certainly seemed like I did.

Anyway, the improvement in handling with a stiffer front suspension is incredible. Not just for stopping either (which I can now do safely without bottoming out) but also for cornering and bumps. I am very happy with it . If you are a large westerner (like me) I can wholeheartedly suggest changing the fork oil. It will give you a much better ride, even for just around town and any idiot can do it (like me).

The other thing I did while the bike was up on the stand was to turn around the kick stand kill-switch. I find this little device very annoying. Although I understand that is designed to prevent people riding off when the stand down, it is very useful to be able to start the bike up while it is still on its stand so it can warm up while you are gearing up and generally fit-farting around . If you ride off with the stand still down, well, then you're an idiot (like me).

I was going to remove the switch all together and join the wires together to keep the circuit closed constantly, but when I tried to get the plug out of the housing I stripped the head of one of the little screws (peice of sh*t!) making getting the plug out impossible. So, not wanting to give up, I simply replaced the switch backwards so now it doesn't engage with the stand down.

NOTE:

The first ride after removing the front wheel I lost my front anxle bolt. When I put the axle nut back on, I can't remember if I tightened it up properly or not (I probably forgot ) but just have a look after you take it for a first ride. I have replaced the axle nut with a nylock nut and am using a standard washer and a spring washer. That baby is not going anywhere anymore.
    Attached Images
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmarty45 View Post
    was only 175mL which surprised me.

kick stand kill-switch. I find this little device very annoying. Although I understand that is designed to prevent people riding off when the stand down, it is very useful to be able to start the bike up while it is still on its stand so it can warm up while you are gearing up and generally fit-farting around

The factory reckon the fork oil capacity is 330ml in each fork tube. I think you're supposed to "pump" the forks to expel the oil from the inside of the damping cylinder rather than just let it drain off.

You SHOULD be able to start and idle the engine with the stand down as long as the gearbox is in neutral or the clutch lever is pulled in if it's not. That's how mine is wired up.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post
    The factory reckon the fork oil capacity is 330ml in each fork tube. I think you're supposed to "pump" the forks to expel the oil from the inside of the damping cylinder rather than just let it drain off.

You SHOULD be able to start and idle the engine with the stand down as long as the gearbox is in neutral or the clutch lever is pulled in if it's not. That's how mine is wired up.
    Hmmm, I did pump it slowly. But no more was coming out. 330mL seems like a much more reasonable amount. Maybe I should've pumped for longer? Well, I am not too worried about, even with a half oil change the suspension has been greatly improved.
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250

I was going to remove the switch all together and join the wires together to keep the circuit closed constantly, but when I tried to get the plug out of the housing I stripped the head of one of the little screws (peice of sh*t!) making getting the plug out impossible. So, not wanting to give up, I simply replaced the switch backwards so now it doesn't engage with the stand down.
    You can adjust league off in a hidden location to avoid stealing the bike
    Attached Images
    Sundown 200cc STX motard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123