Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Rangu66,

Tell us a bit about Nicholasville, Kentucky. From Google Earth I can see you are surrounded by countryside and there are enticing mountains and forests to your east and southeast. There's a lot of things a Chinese 250 can do and do well. One is navigate twisty roads, paved and otherwise, in rural and mountainous areas. One thing they don't do well is go fast. Trying to squeeze 80mph out of a Chinabike is a recipe for disappointment, and probably trouble.

OK, at risk of sounding to your young ears like an old fart, let me say that the true joy of a Chinabike, and maybe of any motorbike, is piloting yourself independently through amazing places that may or may not be difficult for other vehicles to get to -- up narrow canyons and along rivers, through forests and deserts, up and down rocky, broken, twisted paths to meadows and hilltops that few others see. The only time I really think about speed is when calculating how long it will take to get to the "good riding"; the speed in itself is at best a cheap thrill.

If you want the cheap thrill of speed, you're going to need to save your bucks for a few more months and go for a proper Japanese crotch rocket. Cheap chinabikes are no shortcut for getting there. At your age, the odds of you killing yourself, and perhaps others, on a sport bike are quite high, which is unfortunate. But even worse is that you might actually miss out on the deeper joys of motorcycling, which have as much to with going slow with great skill and great awe for your surroundings as with horsepower and speed.

Do you have the skills and vision and heart to be a great motorcyclist?

Whatever you do, ride safely!
    Last edited by euphonius; 08-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Take any top speed posted on the web with a grain of salt. Most China bike's speedometers are very optimistic.
    Does that bike have the Honda Rebel cloned engine which is really 234ccs? The Rebel will barely reach a true 70 MPH so a reasonable cruise would be 60 MPH or so.
    Anyway, good luck with the bike.
    Yeah it's going to be my first bike so it doesn't need to go any faster than 60 plus the highways that i'm around are only 65 (i think you're allowed to go like 10 below) I live in Kentucky so nothings busy anyways haha

3. #13 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Rangu66,

Tell us a bit about Nicholasville, Kentucky. From Google Earth I can see you are surrounded by countryside and there are enticing mountains and forests to your east and southeast. There's a lot of things a Chinese 250 can do and do well. One is navigate twisty roads, paved and otherwise, in rural and mountainous areas. One thing they don't do well is go fast. Trying to squeeze 80mph out of a Chinabike is a recipe for disappointment, and probably trouble.

OK, at risk of sounding to your young ears like an old fart, let me say that the true joy of a Chinabike, and maybe of any motorbike, is piloting yourself independently through amazing places that may or may not be difficult for other vehicles to get to -- up narrow canyons and along rivers, through forests and deserts, up and down rocky, broken, twisted paths to meadows and hilltops that few others see. The only time I really think about speed is when calculating how long it will take to get to the "good riding"; the speed in itself is at best a cheap thrill.

If you want the cheap thrill of speed, you're going to need to save your bucks for a few more months and go for a proper Japanese crotch rocket. Cheap chinabikes are no shortcut for getting there. At your age, the odds of you killing yourself, and perhaps others, on a sport bike are quite high, which is unfortunate. But even worse is that you might actually miss out on the deeper joys of motorcycling, which have as much to with going slow with great skill and great awe for your surroundings as with horsepower and speed.

Do you have the skills and vision and heart to be a great motorcyclist?

Whatever you do, ride safely!

That was an excellent post! Yes Nicholasville is just as google maps said, you're so right! I don't need speed there's beauty to enjoy all around me if I take it slow I'll be safer and enjoy the ride maybe one day I'll get an expensive fast bike. For now I'll get a cheaper bike, take it slow enjoy the beauty of my area (I've only been around here in a Car I've never witnessed it's true beauty in person) I live in a suburban part of town and never really got out to the twisties and with a chinese bike (I hear they're great at steering due to low weight) will be easy to get there! That post really put a positive impact into my decisions I've scouted around for awhile looking for the proper purchase. I can already tell that motorcycle maintenance is just as important and enjoyable as the ride. Now I've not read "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" yet but I can already tell I have a bright future on motorcycles of all sorts 11years ago when I was only 7 I remember wanting a bike sooo bad that all I did was think about being old enough to have one. I've found a bike I really love right here I've been eyeballing it for awhile but never could make the decision if I should get it or not.
    Now heres it is:
    Supersportz: http://www.supersportz.com/index.php...oducts_id=1052
    Scooterdepot: http://www.scooterdepot.us/250cc-str...les-p-744.html

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtqg7...el_video_title

It's $2,050 with shipping I know two sites that have this bike
    Supersportz.com and Scooterdepot.us

Now here's the tricky part I'm not sure who to buy from their prices are almost the same but I'm not sure who's more trustworthy. I noticed scooterdepot has the bike already 95% assembled and the parts warranty covers even if a non certified mechanic finishes it.

Supersportz requires a mechanic to finish building it for the warranty to work. (it's $150 for a mechanic to finish it). Anyways please help out with this decision aswell as to everyone else of the forum Thankyou all!

4. #14 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi,
    Can you find out some more information for the bike you posted links to? I'm specifically interested in the manufacturer, as I cannot see anything about that so far (am I blind, or maybe that info isn't coming through on my connection?).
    The stated claims on the tech specs look a little strange to me, but maybe some other members here might have more info.

5. #15 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Hi,
    Can you find out some more information for the bike you posted links to? I'm specifically interested in the manufacturer, as I cannot see anything about that so far (am I blind, or maybe that info isn't coming through on my connection?).
    The stated claims on the tech specs look a little strange to me, but maybe some other members here might have more info.
    I've been researching for days and I can't figure it out however, if you look in the bike's pictures you'll see "Dongfang" on the side of the motor (I'd imagine that's who produces it?) Anyways whatever you find out please let me know this bike is something I've been pursuing for awhile I just want to make sure it's a good buy

Here's the picture of the engine: http://www.scooterdepot.us/catalog/p...62/image/3128/
    So I'm guessing its a "Dongfang SX-R" I also see "RTC" on this one quite a bit. I'm not too sure what type of bike this is I wish the sites were more clear with their specifications as well as labels. Anyways goodluck and report your findings back here!
    PS: I once googled Dong Fang and got a website selling trailer trucks. (So maybe this is the same one?) They seemed like durable trucks I imagine If they are in fact the ones who make this motorcycle It'd be a good brand.

6. #16 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    C-Moto Guru
    http://www.motordf.com/index.aspx

There's a link to the DF website. Interestingly, they do not list the bike you are looking at. However, if you do a search for Dongfang on this web site (meaning right here on mcm) you'll find some more people who have actually ordered the DF250 sport bike, with unfortunately limited success.

Seriously, were I you I'd be looking at a 250 Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha on Craigslist. Keep the credit card for repairs =)
    Last edited by Nuhaus; 08-12-2011 at 06:26 AM.

7. #17 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    http://www.motordf.com/index.aspx

There's a link to the DF website. Interestingly, they do not list the bike you are looking at. However, if you do a search for Dongfang on this web site you'll find some more people who have actually ordered the DF250 sport bike, with unfortunately limited success.

Seriously, were I you I'd be looking at a 250 Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha on Craigslist. Keep the credit card for repairs =)
    I spent a lot of time on Craigslist many days and i contacted 20+ people. all of them were either rude or wanted all the money in full (I want the bike asap as riding season will be over come Halloween) and I'll only be making around $600 a month (everyone on craigs wants $2,000) Thats why i was going to buy a bike online with credit (I looked into buying a bike on ebay and having it shipped to me) *the bikes on ebay are around $800-$1500. but then the riddiculous shipping prices are always like $500 or more. that together would equall the cost of a new chinese bike I know but I'm just nervous about buying a used bike. My state requires a crap load of paperwork for title transfer (I even think it requires the previous owner to be present)

8. #18 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Having owned a few Chinese bikes, I'd be very nervous about buying a bike that I had not heard of before. Exactly what kind of motor does it have? How and where will you get parts for it when it breaks down? Does it meet all the requirements from your state in order to be legally plated and licensed? Also, as mentioned above, check out what other people on MCM have experienced after ordering that moto previously.

Good luck and please keep us posted as to how things work out.

9. #19 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 
    Having owned a few Chinese bikes, I'd be very nervous about buying a bike that I had not heard of before. Exactly what kind of motor does it have? How and where will you get parts for it when it breaks down? Does it meet all the requirements from your state in order to be legally plated and licensed? Also, as mentioned above, check out what other people on MCM have experienced after ordering that moto previously.

sure thing I think im just going to get the Jinlun Jlp250 or whatever i've seen a ton of people have success with it

10. #20 Re: HELP!! (I need a good street bike) 

The DF250RTC has a 167FMM. Same as my Dong Fang bobber which is really 229cc not the 250cc that these drop shippers and CCW claim.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast