Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Shenyang - Mohe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Shenyang - Mohe 
    C-Moto Guru
    My bike has already arrived in Shenyang (Liaoning), I will fly there on friday night. Pick up the bike on saturday morning, which hopefully is still in one piece and the crate not up side down!

Once packed I will head out of Shenyang (Liaoning) to
    -> Baicheng (Jilin)
    -> Arxan (Inner Mongolia)
    -> New Barag Zuoqi (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Buir Hu (lake on the border with Mongolia)
    -> New Barag Youqi (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Hulun hu (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Manzhouli (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Hailar (Inner Mongolia)
    -> E'erguna (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Shiwei (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Mo'erdaoga (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Genhe (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Oroqen (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Jiage Daqi (Inner Mongolia)
    -> Tahe (Heilongjiang)
    -> Mohe (Heilongjiang)
    -> Mohexiang (Heilongjiang)

This is rougly my plan for 9 days (2500-3000 km), I will see how everything works out. But there's still plenty of km's that can be cut off from the route!

I'm not sure whether I will be able to post any pictures during my trip, but I definitely will once I'm back in BJ again!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

2. #2 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    Hey Barry,

that sounds like fun! Take care and I am looking forward to see some of these pics!
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

3. #3 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    Good luck Barry - Ride Safe.
    And if you find yourself detouring into SE Inner Mongolia, give a shout on my mobile.
    [I'll be making my way into that area around Wednesday.]

BTW you listed Jiagedaqi as "Inner Mongolia" but actually Jiagedaqi is a district under the jurisdictional of Heilongjiang Province (which makes it like a HLJ island in the middle of NE Inner Mongolia. When you're there please get the backstory on this one! Thanks.

4. #4 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    BTW you listed Jiagedaqi as "Inner Mongolia" but actually Jiagedaqi is a district under the jurisdictional of Heilongjiang Province (which makes it like a HLJ island in the middle of NE Inner Mongolia. When you're there please get the backstory on this one! Thanks.
    Indeed: "Its physical location is in Inner Mongolia, however, it is under the jurisdiction of Heilongjiang Province." source Wikipedia.

Here some photos by Thierry Coulon
    , who covered A'ershan, Hulun hu, Manzhouli and Hailar in his trip in 2009!

I could also pass through Tongliao, but I figured I would still see plenty of Inner Mongolia later. So I decided to go through Jilin a bit first and then head into Inner Mongolia.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #5 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Barry,

Looks like a fantastic journey, and 3000km in nine days seems reasonable enough. I note that you crated by truck rather than doing the roll-on/roll-off by train. Would be great to hear details about how this worked, who made the crate and with what, and whether you'll try to stow the original crate for the return journey. And how does the cost stack up with train transport. Finally, if the crate does arrive upside down, some of us will want to know about that too -- with pix!

Ride safe!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Barry,

Looks like a fantastic journey, and 3000km in nine days seems reasonable enough. I note that you crated by truck rather than doing the roll-on/roll-off by train. Would be great to hear details about how this worked, who made the crate and with what, and whether you'll try to stow the original crate for the return journey. And how does the cost stack up with train transport. Finally, if the crate does arrive upside down, some of us will want to know about that too -- with pix!

Ride safe!
    I will finish in another place so I doubt I will use the original crate! When we called to Beijingzhan to check for the price those idiots said: they count the number of cc's as kilograms. So that would be 600 kg in our case, which would cost me RMB 2600 for BJ - Harbin.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

7. #7 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I will finish in another place so I doubt I will use the original crate! When we called to Beijingzhan to check for the price those idiots said: they count the number of cc's as kilograms. So that would be 600 kg in our case, which would cost me RMB 2600 for BJ - Harbin.
    Hey Barry - best of luck on your journey! Looks great.

I know some people in Harbin if you need help. I've shipped bikes to/from Beijing/Harbin a few times, and the price is usually under 1,000 rmb, all in, for a sidecar and about 600 rmb for 2 wheels. But I'm starting to get the feeling that the train (roll on / roll off) is the way to do things for 2 wheels.

Anyways - while you and your GF are having fun, I'll be working on this damn stalling problem - I've ordered everything (all the parts) from the new 2011 "A" and am going to try it out.

Ride safe!

8. #8 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Hey Barry - best of luck on your journey! Looks great.

I know some people in Harbin if you need help. I've shipped bikes to/from Beijing/Harbin a few times, and the price is usually under 1,000 rmb, all in, for a sidecar and about 600 rmb for 2 wheels. But I'm starting to get the feeling that the train (roll on / roll off) is the way to do things for 2 wheels.

Anyways - while you and your GF are having fun, I'll be working on this damn stalling problem - I've ordered everything (all the parts) from the new 2011 "A" and am going to try it out.

Ride safe!
    Good to hear someone is willing to give it go and try the upgrade. If I don't ask, someone else will: what are the costs for all those parts? Do you have more details on which exact parts need to be upgraded? (Perhaps start a new thread about this topic!)
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

9. #9 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    If you are returning to Beijing from a city that has a direct train link, and want to try the roll-on/roll-off method, just go to the train station and ride right up to the consigned freight desk, making sure your tank is almost empty. There you'll be asked to drain the tank (and almost certainly there will be someone there with a bottle and siphon and desire for 10 yuan), and to sign papers consigning it to Beijing. You can buy insurance to cover any damage to the bike, but in our experience they are handled well.

Motokai paid under 600 rmb to ship the same bike 1300km Shanghai-Beijing, and it arrived in 24 hours. Surely Heilongjiang-Beijing would be similar or less.

Anyway, here's wishing you great weather and awesome adventure!
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Shenyang - Mohe 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...Anyways - while you and your GF are having fun, I'll be working on this damn stalling problem - I've ordered everything (all the parts) from the new 2011 "A" and am going to try it out.

Ride safe!
    Good to hear someone is willing to give it go and try the upgrade. If I don't ask, someone else will: what are the costs for all those parts? Do you have more details on which exact parts need to be upgraded? (Perhaps start a new thread about this topic!)
    Lao Jia Huo, this is truly a noble undertaking! Definitely fire up another thread when the parts arrive. I too am very curious about the range of parts that you'll be upgrading, and who you had to persuade to do the dirty, how "it can't be done" became "here's what you'll need" and how much it's going to set you back. (Then we can file the class action suit against our favorite riparian manufacturer...)

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast