Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    Okay, so after much thought I decided I'm going to buy a Jinlun-JL250P, Aka Roketa MC113. After getting the bike I am going to set it up from the crate (Maybe test ride it a bit) get my insurance and crap set up for it.

Not too much later I'm going to measure all of the bolts. nuts, washers, O-rings take a trip to my hardware store.
    Buy as many as necessary. hopefully I have the cash, fit in all of those

Then eventually, once I get used to the bike a little more.
    *This is my first motorcycle btw.* I'll buy new hoses, new clutch, brake handle, mirrors, sprockets, light bulbs.
    From reading about a lot of Chinese motorcycles here and other places. It seems the ones that break down aren't taken care of. No-one puts decent hardware on these bikes. At least not many that is. I'm pretty confident If I add some American hardware! this bike will be a lot better!

Anyways what do you guys think? I think it's a pretty sound Idea. Whenever I hear about problems with the bikes it seems they all start at the small things. Nuts and bolts. Bad vibrations brand new hardware can fix those vibrations I'd say.

2. #2 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    By the way here's the bike:
    http://www.countyimports.com/inc/sde...1113__/384/388

This site is particularly good because of the warranty and plus they claim to carry all parts for this bike it also comes with a (crappy manual) I hear but they also include their own maintenance directions. A toolbox aswell. I think this is a wise decision for me plus as a first bike I'd rather spend $2100, rather than $3,900. (USD) I've looked on Craigslist but no-one will finance me anything so I've given up hope there. I'm joining the Airforce come this time next year I just want a fun bike to enjoy before I'm restricted to riding regularly. Once I'm in the Airforce I'm sure I'll upgrade to a higher quality bike but as for now I believe this is a proper decision. Anyways the reason I'm posting this is because I want to hear your guys opinions! tell me what you think does it sound like a smart idea or what?

3. #3 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    As you can see here is their parts website http://www.countyimportparts.com/

4. #4 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    I would not buy a new bike that I felt that I had to replace all the hardware on in order for it to be reliable.
    You are not thinking straight if the only reason you are buying this bike is because you can stick it on your credit card.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #5 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    Ignore this post <-
    Last edited by rangu66; 08-14-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: I can't delete this typoed thing

6. #6 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    I would not buy a new bike that I felt that I had to replace all the hardware on in order for it to be reliable.
    You are not thinking straight if the only reason you are buying this bike is because you can stick it on your credit card.
    No, the hardware does not NEED to be replaced. I'd like to replace it just to keep this bike in top condition (this will be my first bike). I am not buying it just so I can stick it on my credit card. I am buying it because I can NOT get a bike unless I have full cash.
    No dealership will finance me anything because I have zero credit and am 18. Craigslist people are a-holes. They want payment in full, cash. The riding season ends in October for me. I want to have a bike now because If I don't get it now I won't be getting one for 5 to 10years (I'll be in the Airforce and I don't want to buy a low-end bike after this one I only want this one to learn on for the next year or so). I'll be in the Airforce come this time next year and I need a way to build up credit as well. The goverment will pay for my house, food, and appliance bills so how will I raise credit If I can only buy things in full payment. (I'd be making $1,200 cash monthly no taxes on top of the free housing food and appliances). All that money needs to go to furniture and such. Plus I'm getting married after my training is done in the Airforce (6months of training) I've been with my girlfriend for 4years now and we've decided we're ready to marry when we can stand on our own feet. The Airforce would not allow her to live with me unless we are married anyhow. There are many marital bonuses of being in the Air Force. Plus she'll be off her parents insurance soon enough (she's 21), and she has Asthma and severe allergies. Her medication is $500 monthly, she could not afford that with her current part time job. Anyways a bit of a biography there, got a little side-tracked. Anyways what I'm saying is If I don't buy a bike now I wont get one for a looonngg time. I am currently working at Walmart and making $1,000 monthly w/o taxes. I cannot afford to drop that whole grand down on a bike either I need to spend $500 monthly. I'm currently taking online college courses and I have stretched my earlobes to 1 1/2inch (reluctantly) I have to save up money for plastic surgery to fix the damn things because the Air Force will not allow me to join this way. So may paycheck can be $500 Motorcycle/ 200 left over and 300 for my medical bill. Anyways as you can see I've got a lot on my hands I want a bike really bad and If I don't get one now I don't see myself getting one for a long time

7. #7 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    Oh, Also I need a commuter only 15miles. Moto insurance is $110 a year here. Car insurance is $200 a month. Mileage on a crappy car is 20. Mileage on a motorcycle is 70. so basically I need a bike because I can't afford to sink 2grand into a crappy car I'll just get rid of in a year. All the money spent on this motorcycle will be roughly $2600. If i was to buy a cheap car (I'd estimate approx. $3500 or more) Insurance, Gas, As well as buying the damned thing its self. I know 15mile's isn't much to drive a car, but that's around $900 on gas a lone from now until I'm in the air force. Plus, I'd like to do other things than just drive to work with it. I don't want a gigantic four-wheeled money sink lugging me down. I want a fun ride you know? It doesn't need to be hitting 100mph's either I'm fine with 60mph whatever this bike can handle. Plus I used to work on engines when I was younger for fun. fixing things is a passion of mine

8. #8 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    Bad idea?

Why are you asking for advise if you got it all figured out?

Good luck and hope you can make it through basic training.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

9. #9 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    I guess you prove a point. I guess I was looking for more information about other people that have done that before. I was wondering if people think it'd be a good idea to preserve the bike and thanks

10. #10 Re: Good Idea? (New Bike) 
    http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/2448006461.html

If all you have is a credit card then take a cash advance off it, typically that would be a 4% or less fee or about $80.00 on $2000.00

Before you do that apply for an interest free card with a balance transfer offer on it. After you get accepted then take a cash advance on the other card and use the zero card for a year to pay off the first card, it is just a balance transfer.

Get the zero card first and then start shopping for a used Ninja 250, you can find them under $2000.00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast