Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Riding into tibet 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to ride a motorcycle into Tibet? If so, which would be the right way to enter Tibet?

If what I gather, the only possible way to enter Tibet by road is by the Sichun-Tibet highway. But I am thinking of riding to Tibet using the Yunnan-Tibet highway and exit Tibet through the Xinjiang-Tibet highway. Is this feasible?

Do you think I can make it?

Comments please.

Thanks.

NO and NO. For now, forget about heading west into Tibet. Even Nationals can not enter Tibet on the Sichuan-Tibet Highway.

Your best bet is from Golmud but be prepared to turn around. You can go from Budongquan to Yushu on a new graded road, then into Western Sichuan.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Ride from Kunmin to Lhasa 
    C-Moto Noob
    Interesting to hear, that it is not possible to enter Tibet !?!?
    Planning a trip from Kunming to Lhasa next year May.
    Are the Yunnan-Tibet HW and the Sichuan-Tibet HW off limits for bikes ?
    Thanks for more information !!!

Probably okay to pass if you're a Chinese citizen but in certain times it's impassable for everyone who's not there on a special permit. You can always try but all I'm saying is don't be surprised if you have to turn around.

CC

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I've been a couple times into Tibet (landcruisers) and it has worked out fine. I was trying to get into the upper NuJiang (salween) river valley near Chamdo and got turned around on March 10 (Lhasa riots). From what i've heard, anyone with a permit can get into Tibet right now and 2009 should be fine.

Are you going to go solo? I live in Kunming and am going to go with some Chinese friends to Tibet in June. What kind of bike do you have? how much did you pay for it? I am looking for a bike right now and want to do minimal mods before heading out long distance.

Cheers,
    Adam

Hi Adam,

Do you know how far north you can go following the NuJiang river? Does the road actually take you into Tibet? I want to plan a trip there this year, but it's hard to find any reliable info on how far north the road goes.

You should look at the QingQi 200cc dualsport for your adventures, the mountains are tough, and the QingQi has a pretty good track record.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Nujiang 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Hi Adam,

Do you know how far north you can go following the NuJiang river? Does the road actually take you into Tibet? ...

ChinaV
    I was up the Nujiang until Gongshan in autumn 2005. Some locals said that it is possible to go to Tibet, some say it's not.

From what I've seen on the map it could be possible. However, I know from personal experience that this map is sometimes wishful thinking. I tried to track it down using the map and Google Earth, but I'm still not sure whether it can be done. If interested I can provide a kmz with my investigation result.

Check with Yunnanexplorer (Ludwig Max Brinckmann- ludwigbrinckmann aatt gmail dooott com), who is, from what I know of some e-mail contact with him, pretty familiar with this area.
    He has some topo maps in Garmin img format, which can be loaded on Garmin GPSr's.

Any investigation results are also of big interest for me.

Andy

C-Moto Noob
    @crazy carl
    i'm not chinese citizien, but stay in china 12 years, have 1 years residence permission, that's enough or need special permission to go to tibet ?

@adam
    planning to go there with a goup of bikers in may/june 2009, we'll send our bikes from ningbo to kunming by truck and than go to lhasa.
    we're driving harley davidson's, dragstars and probably some regal raptors...

would be interesting to know where can get a special permission in case one need that.
    cheers

9. #9 Tibet Permissions 
    Quote Originally Posted by Laoha View Post
    @crazy carl
    i'm not chinese citizien, but stay in china 12 years, have 1 years residence permission, that's enough or need special permission to go to tibet ?

@adam
    planning to go there with a goup of bikers in may/june 2009, we'll send our bikes from ningbo to kunming by truck and than go to lhasa.

would be interesting to know where can get a special permission in case one need that.
    cheers
    Try to contact the guys from hiddenchina or haiweitrails. They should be able to tell you about permissions and, if needed, get you those.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Laoha View Post
    Dude, I HAVE TO see pictures of this trip!

CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast