Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Andi, have contacted these guys already, let's see whats up than...
    Carl, no worries, pictures will be online after the trip

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    @laoha
    planning to go there with a goup of bikers in may/june 2009, we'll send our bikes from ningbo to kunming by truck and than go to lhasa.
    we're driving harley davidson's, dragstars and probably some regal raptors...

would be interesting to know where can get a special permission in case one need that.
    Need one more person? Ha! I have no idea what my schedule is going to be like around then. i may be a month behind you. Its my understanding (and experience) that one needs to have a Tibetan 'guide' while in Tibet and always be carrying the paper with stamps, etc. This isn't the case for Chinese nationals. But, checking in with haiweitrails seems like a good idea.
    Do you know how far north you can go following the NuJiang river? Does the road actually take you into Tibet? I want to plan a trip there this year, but it's hard to find any reliable info on how far north the road goes.
    In march of 2007 I was part of a team to do a kayak first descent on the NuJiang. We started from the Chengdu/Lhasa HWY bridge accross the Nu and went all the way down to Chawarong, Just north of the border of Yunnan. You can see pics of the river valley here. (sorry they are not in chronological order) Pic #70 is the confluence of the Yuchu "you-chew" river from the north-east. In march of 2007 this was the end of the road going up river. I suspect that the road is going to go up the Yuchu valley because the Nujiang is damn steep.
    Here is a map of the confluence

I am itching to go riding. Anyone live near kunming have a bike to loan?

cheers,
    Adam

Adam,

Amazing trip , truly mind blowing!

Andy,

Thanks for the link to Yunnanexplorer , I stumbled on the map there before, but couldn't quite figure out if some of those roads were actually possible on a motorcycle.

One good read I found about the route is at crazyguyonabike, Bill Weir went through on a bicycle in April of 2008 and indicates in his story that the road definately goes into Tibet, but was closed to foreigners at the time. There is also a road that goes over Gaoligang Shan to Pianma Passa, a trading post with Myanmar. Bill also stated there is a checkpoint in Nidadang Village, 12.5km from Bingzhongluo. Unless your Chinese or have an official guide, it's probably the end of the line.

Don't know why, but for some reason that road keeps calling me.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #14 Nujiang 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Thanks for the link to Yunnanexplorer , I stumbled on the map there before, but couldn't quite figure out if some of those roads were actually possible on a motorcycle.
    The only way to find it out ...

One good read I found about the route is at crazyguyonabike, Bill Weir went through on a bicycle in April of 2008 and indicates in his story that the road definately goes into Tibet, but was closed to foreigners at the time.
    This is an amazing report with some excellent pictures. If one would be already in Tibet, going downstream might be easier to sneak through the posts.

There is also a road that goes over Gaoligang Shan to Pianma Passa, a trading post with Myanmar.
    We went from Liukou to Pianma at the Myanmar border. It is about 100km mostly on cobblestone and the road climbs from the Nujiang valley (800m asl) up to 3200 and down again to Pianma. Fantastic ride.

Don't know why, but for some reason that road keeps calling me.
    Yesss

Andy

Andy,

You happen to have any photos of that ride?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

6. #16 Yunnan Pics 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Andy,

You happen to have any photos of that ride?

CC
    Yep, I'll dig som out and make a little ride rport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12