Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Kitia,

Actually you may have better luck in Africa than in northern Europe. China has extensive and rapidly growing trade relations with Africa, and I'd bet my last renminbi that there are huge numbers of motorbikes in the 250cc-and-under class entering those markets at prices substantially below what you'd pay in Finland or elsewhere in Europe.

MCM does have members in sub-Saharan Africa who have occasionally posted, and I remember one guy who was trying to import Chinese bikes that he planned to modify in some way or another. You might find those members with the advanced search function.

Safest bet would be to find a range of bikes you like, then google to see if they have distribution anywhere in Africa. Google may not work, since so many chinabikes are rebadged by importers, in which case, you could email the manufacturers of bikes you fancy, and ask them if they have distributors in Tanzania or neighboring countries.

Hang in there, and keep the rubber side down.
    Thank you very much. You are very right. After doing a google search I found these dealers in Tanzania: http://www.cruisermotors.biz/ and http://www.zongshen.co.tz/ I have decided if possible to look a Zongshen ride after reading this report of some South African guys who rode across China on these machines: see the ride report at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371656 I have contacted the Zongshen dealers in Tanzania and I am waiting for the response. I will keep you posted.

2. #12 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great post, Kitia, and glad you are making progress. And what a delightful and unexpected bonus that you've shown us that advrider report about two safricans riding across China on a couple of Zongshens! Some gutsy folks to just airdrop into China like that, buy a couple of bikes, then ride their way out!

I'll be waiting to read your updates!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    I recently exported two vehicles (car and bike) from China (Beijing) to Europe when I permanently moved out.
    I didn't cancel registration and also applied for a temporary export permit for the bike, which allows to bring it back before "scrapping date".

Vehicles can only be exported in the owner's name.
    A licensed shipping agent has to handle the procedure and also takes care of the physical handling until customs release.
    The bike was in a crate with the gasoline tank emptied and the battery disconnected when I sent it to the shipping agent.
    I drove the car there myself with an almost empty gas tank and I disconnected the battery when I got there.

Documents needed:
    - passport
    - working permit (if you are a family member of a working permit holder then you need (his / hers)
    - vehicle's green book
    - vehicle's blue book
    - the very little book - don't know what it is, but important if it is a vehicle which has been imported to China
    - purchase Fapiao (if it is second hand, the local tax bureau will issue this invoice based on the value estimated by traffic bureau)
    - application form (just sign it, the agent fills it for you)

Procedure is pretty straightforward but it took about 4 weeks before customs released the shipment.
    It seems they check a lot of things such as traffic record (needs two weeks waiting time) and if it is really yours.

Btw, shipment arrived at my home in Europe two weeks ago and I'm currently using car and bike with Beijing plates legally - to the very entertainment of many in my hometown.
    Andy

4. #14 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Most excellent, all the info we needed !
    Thanks !

5. #15 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Excellent indeed!

I'm very curious whether GRF_Hans and GRF_Pete were required to supply all of this documentation when they rode out of Yunnan.

Andy, I'm also keen to see pix of your 京A-plated GS on the Grossglockner!!!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Excellent indeed!

I'm very curious whether GRF_Hans and GRF_Pete were required to supply all of this documentation when they rode out of Yunnan.
    I applied for a temp export permit for the bike two years ago as I planned to ride into Kaz and return from Mongolia - Unfortunately it never happened.
    At that time, the same docs were required and an additional paper is issued, which states the planned exit and entry points (not mandatory though) as well as the bike and owner info. The temp export permit has a validity of not longer than "the lifetime of the vehicle" and would be stamped out and in as you cross the border.
    I heard from two guys that they were additional charged a refundable deposit at the border and they had to engage a local customs agent - TIC, every village different rules and it all depends on the good will of the officers on duty. Let's see what the GRF boys have to report on this.

Andy, I'm also keen to see pix of your 京A-plated GS on the Grossglockner!!!
    Never thought of it - good idea. Can't get you one from Grossglockner, but from Vienna when I go there next time.
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12