Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Hey all,

Didn't really find the info here, or maybe it's hidden in some threads...

So, with a 100% legal bike, insurance, registration, blablabla, is it possible to leave Chinese frontiers, or to send the bike by sea to another country ?
    Did anyone (others than bike tour companies) do that before ?

If yes, how ?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Cheers,

Fred

2. #2 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    My current trip to Beijing is just practice for one day I want to do a longer RTW trip ... So please let me add a twist to your original post.

Can the bike be legal according to Chinese law but registered to a non-Chinese person?
    Last edited by slabo; 08-22-2011 at 02:48 AM.

3. #3 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    My current trip to Beijing is just practice for one day I do a longer RTW trip ... So please let me add a twist to your original post.

Can the bike be legal according to Chinese law but registered to a non-Chinese person?
    I know what you mean Slabo, and I wish I knew...
    I'm not naive enough to think that having my Chinese name on all the ownership documents proves 100% sure that there's no twist to the story, and that I would be able to cross Chinese frontiers with it. TIC...

Does someone know something, anything, on the matter ?

4. #4 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    So, with a 100% legal bike, insurance, registration, blablabla, is it possible to leave Chinese frontiers, or to send the bike by sea to another country ?
    Did anyone (others than bike tour companies) do that before ?
    Compared to bringing an alien bike into China, I think getting one out is relatively rich with possibilities. Chinabiker recently exported his fully legal GS to Austria, and our Great Ride Forward boys Pete and Hans rode out for their great Southeast Asia adventure. What's more, I believe Hans managed to ride his back in again. There are plenty of Chinese riders who've ridden out via any number of border crossings for international adventures, only to return later, and I've never heard of any trauma in either direction.

As for shipping your bike out, that may raise the level of complication if you are planning to return, but I don't see why this would be any different except for the possibility that you may be forwarding the bike and not accompanying it, so there would have to be some kind of export clearance.

I know some Chinese guys who have done this and would be happy to put you in touch. PM me if interested.

Any chance of telegraphing us about what you are planning?

Good luck!
    Last edited by euphonius; 08-22-2011 at 04:58 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Absolutely nothing in fact... ;-))

Yeah, sounds strange, but I was asking myself this question and thought it would help many people to be able to find info about this in 1 thread.
    As you know, I'm currently buying the YBR 250 to replace the Honda Shadow 150cc. The YBR 250 will be enough for me to tour China 2-up, or for smaller rides solo (2 to 6 days). I'm not planning to keep the bike after leaving China, except if I fall madly in love with it, which I doubt considering all the bikes I have my mind on right now to tour North America on and off-road (the Triumph Tiger 800 XC being on top of the list right now), and my mad love for the modern classics by Triumph also (Bonneville T100, Thruxton). ;-))

6. #6 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    I have heard rumors of westerners trying to get there Japanese motorcycles out of China from Xinjiang and being hit with very expensive charges and choosing to sell there motorcycle in Kashgar. That is a rumor I was told.

I think you can get out but getting back in is the problem depends what amount of gaunxi you have and who processes you at the border.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 08-24-2011 at 08:31 AM.

7. #7 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Compared to bringing an alien bike into China, I think getting one out is relatively rich with possibilities. Chinabiker recently exported his fully legal GS to Austria, and our Great Ride Forward boys Pete and Hans rode out for their great Southeast Asia adventure. What's more, I believe Hans managed to ride his back in again. There are plenty of Chinese riders who've ridden out via any number of border crossings for international adventures, only to return later, and I've never heard of any trauma in either direction.

As for shipping your bike out, that may raise the level of complication if you are planning to return, but I don't see why this would be any different except for the possibility that you may be forwarding the bike and not accompanying it, so there would have to be some kind of export clearance.

I know some Chinese guys who have done this and would be happy to put you in touch. PM me if interested.

Good luck!
    Hello. I would like to buy a China bike and export it abroad. Is it possible. I have written to some companies, who sent me their calogues, but when they realised that I need just one bike, they have not responded again. Do you know companies/person who can export one?

8. #8 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Dear Kitia,

The manufacturers here would like to sell you 10,000 pieces, not just one. Many of the bikes that you might like are not even sold here in the domestic market. It makes far more sense for you to find what bikes are available in Europe, and purchase one there. The only other alternative would be to make a holiday in China, buy a bike here, ride it a bit (alas, illegally, since it's impossible to get a legal driving license or a legal plate if you are a short-term visitor), then export it to Finland. Shipping will not be cheap. And don't forget that you'll probably get hit with import duties when it arrives at customs, and you'll also face regulatory scrutiny (bike must comply with Euro3 emissions standards, etc).

Other members may be less pessimistic than me about buying a bike on spec as you are proposing.

Were you not able to find the Skyteam dealer in Finland? I remember Mikko saying that they had other brands as well.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Dear Kitia,

The manufacturers here would like to sell you 10,000 pieces, not just one. Many of the bikes that you might like are not even sold here in the domestic market. It makes far more sense for you to find what bikes are available in Europe, and purchase one there. The only other alternative would be to make a holiday in China, buy a bike here, ride it a bit (alas, illegally, since it's impossible to get a legal driving license or a legal plate if you are a short-term visitor), then export it to Finland. Shipping will not be cheap. And don't forget that you'll probably get hit with import duties when it arrives at customs, and you'll also face regulatory scrutiny (bike must comply with Euro3 emissions standards, etc).

Other members may be less pessimistic than me about buying a bike on spec as you are proposing.

Were you not able to find the Skyteam dealer in Finland? I remember Mikko saying that they had other brands as well.

good luck!
    Thanks. I intend to import a bike to Tanzania, not Finland. I have not had the time to look around, but I have tried searching the internet, the prices here are very high. I visited this site and stopped there!
    http://www.motorpower.fi/dirmoto/

10. #10 Re: Out of China with the bike :possible or not ? 
    Dear Kitia,

Actually you may have better luck in Africa than in northern Europe. China has extensive and rapidly growing trade relations with Africa, and I'd bet my last renminbi that there are huge numbers of motorbikes in the 250cc-and-under class entering those markets at prices substantially below what you'd pay in Finland or elsewhere in Europe.

MCM does have members in sub-Saharan Africa who have occasionally posted, and I remember one guy who was trying to import Chinese bikes that he planned to modify in some way or another. You might find those members with the advanced search function.

Safest bet would be to find a range of bikes you like, then google to see if they have distribution anywhere in Africa. Google may not work, since so many chinabikes are rebadged by importers, in which case, you could email the manufacturers of bikes you fancy, and ask them if they have distributors in Tanzania or neighboring countries.

Hang in there, and keep the rubber side down.
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast