Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 USA License motorcycle endorsement question 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all,

Leaving for China in about 3 days. Got a license with a motorcycle endorsement, but it's in the form of a blue "M" sticker on the back of my license. Is this gonna fly when trying to get my Chinese moto DL or should I pay $15 for a re issue of my current license to get the M endorsement printed on there for real?

Any advice appreciated!

2. #2 Re: USA License motorcycle endorsement question 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    There's no way to know the answer to your question short of actually applying with the sticker. But what's the harm in spending the extra $15? Just to be on the safe side. Given that the alternative is a lengthy process of riding classes and testing, I'd sure do my utmost to remove any chance of problems!!

Good luck and travel safely!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: USA License motorcycle endorsement question 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    hi bmold, I'm with euphonius on this one... everything is possible in China, since NO is not in the vocabulary, but as with everything here, there's lots of discrepancy and even more that's discretionary. You might be fortunate, but then there's the other side of the coin, where you might be told NOT YES. I'd spring the extra $15 while you can and increase the odds more in your favour. Also a lot rides on what the official translation provider puts together, so take someone with you who's well versed in language ability and how things work, and take a moment to clearly articulate that you want a C1E license for a car and motorcycle/motobike, that way they get this translated correctly when your overseas license is translated.

4. #4 Re: USA License motorcycle endorsement question 
    Dear bmold,

You survive the journey? Settling in there in Shaoxing? Keep us posted! Weather is perfect for riding.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: USA License motorcycle endorsement question 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have been settled in Shaoxing for about a month so far now... can't get to riding because I came on a tourist visa - headed to Hong Kong this coming week to get a Z visa. Will get a residence permit soon enough and hopefully get to getting myself a bike soon. Luckily the school I am teaching at is wicked far outside of Shaoxing (about 10 KM) so motorcycles are pretty norm. Red Suzuki 125's seem to be the bike of choice. Will head to a small 镇 moto dealer in the next couple weeks to check their stock. What are the chances that they'll offer to buy it back from me when I leave? I've had friends set up deals like that in the past, should be no problem for the dealer, especially if you're willing to let them take a couple hundred kuai for the convenience of it... Looking forward to riding sometime. Hope the skies rain themselves out over these next few days and leave some rideable fall weather for us Zhejiang people. Will update again soon.

6. #6 Re: USA License motorcycle endorsement question 
    Quote Originally Posted by bmold View Post
    I have been settled in Shaoxing for about a month so far now... can't get to riding because I came on a tourist visa - headed to Hong Kong this coming week to get a Z visa. Will get a residence permit soon enough and hopefully get to getting myself a bike soon. Luckily the school I am teaching at is wicked far outside of Shaoxing (about 10 KM) so motorcycles are pretty norm. Red Suzuki 125's seem to be the bike of choice. Will head to a small 镇 moto dealer in the next couple weeks to check their stock. What are the chances that they'll offer to buy it back from me when I leave? I've had friends set up deals like that in the past, should be no problem for the dealer, especially if you're willing to let them take a couple hundred kuai for the convenience of it... Looking forward to riding sometime. Hope the skies rain themselves out over these next few days and leave some rideable fall weather for us Zhejiang people. Will update again soon.
    Hey, bmold, you sort everything out and get a bike? How you livin'?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai