Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Plates in Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Actually, it is an investment - you get your money back when you sell the bike. Probably much more than you paid for the plate.

The plate costs 20,000 rmb but you get the money back ... and perhaps much more.
    I have tried to sell my BJ plated car in April 2011. The achievable price for the 2.0 TSI/DSG Magotan with all options, newly bought for 245k RMB in December 2009 was, due to the collapse of the used car market as a result of the silly luck draw system, down to 130-140k. I thought the plate could make up for the loss of value, but... As soon as a BJ plated car is sold, the registration (plates) is revoked and you have to queue for the lucky draw. Only if the old car / bike is scrapped or re-registered in another province, you can save your registration right.
    A friend of mine in BJ owned a legal GS, bought a new legal GS and wasn't able to transfer the plate from the old to the new bike.

Today and to my very recent experience, the only ways to make profit from BJ plates are to sell the vehicle without registration change (but who would be so stupid) or to sell the plates and docs to the black market (I received offers).
    Andy

2. #12 Re: Plates in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    I have tried to sell my BJ plated car in April 2011
    Yes, Andy ... a car plate has been a disaster for many foreigners in Beijing since the introduction of the lottery system. There are several stories of cars getting 10% - 20% of the pre-lottery value.

Through shere luck (no foresight), I had sold my Audi & my Jeep mid last year (prior to the lottery system for cars). I sold them because of the madhouse traffic & 1,000/month parking fees.

But car plates and bike plates are two entirely different things. My car plates were only a few hundred rmb, if that, on initial registration. (Audi was brand new; Jeep was a two-year old used).

Only if the old car / bike is scrapped or re-registered in another province, you can save your registration right.
    There are some rules in Beijing about that, also. For bikes, it is a 3 year ownership. For cars, I am not sure, although I've been told that it is somewhat similar. My Audi was a 2009 and I was told that I was damn lucky to have sold it mid 2010 because I would not have been able to now.

A friend of mine in BJ owned a legal GS, bought a new legal GS and wasn't able to transfer the plate from the old to the new bike.
    If he owned the "old" GS for less than 3 years, that is true (for an A plate). If he owned it for more than 3 years, he can transfer the plate and sell the "old" GS outside Beijing.

Perhaps he should contact the TMB for direction. You can now email the TMB, in English, and it will give you a quick response to any questions. A good agent will also be able to help.

Edit - why didn't he just sell his original GS with its A plate, and get the new GS with a new A plate? It's a wash, regardless of what the current market price is for an A plate. Except, of course, if he plates it through the BMW dealer (it adds a big profit to plates).

Today and to my very recent experience, the only ways to make profit from BJ plates are to sell the vehicle without registration change (but who would be so stupid) or to sell the plates and docs to the black market (I received offers).
    Sorry, I am not sure what you're getting at.

Last summer, I bought my sweety a 125 scooter ... paid 5,000 for the scooter and 8,000 for the A plate ... taxes, fees, etc made the total about 14,000 rmb. That same scooter, used, today, is selling for at least 22,000 in the market. The plate alone is 20K to 22K rmb, and that is the value.

Checking 58.com, you can see that used YBR250s are selling for >40K now (were 30K new, with plate last year).

Naturally, one would transfer ownership upon sale.

Unlike Shanghai, bikes & cars are two completely different plating scenarios.

If I'd had a crystal ball, I would've bought 100 "A" plates last summer, and had a 125% return on each within less than a year.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 09-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.

3. #13 Re: Plates in Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I guess we are all at the mercy of BJ Gov policy when i comes to value
    I sold my car in SH plate purchased for 28k but when sold with car made up value even after 2 years ownership as plates were at that time around 45K crazy IMHO

Still i guess if we can all be sure bike plates stay as they are for now different to cars the investment is ok but I do worry what happens if law changes and my 20k plate suddenly changes to 20rmb :-0

I guess it the luck of the draw but I would rather be legal than not so think its a no brainer i need a A jing plate.

So on that I have another question can shop can help to buy for me eg if i got from Qili would they help?
    also what do i need to buy one? Obviously Passport , Visa, DL but what is the process or things to pay attention to in getting best price and doing it legally.

Astro

4. #14 Re: Plates in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy66 View Post
    I guess we are all at the mercy of BJ Gov policy when i comes to value ... I do worry what happens if law changes and my 20k plate suddenly changes to 20rmb :-0
    Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy66 View Post
    So on that I have another question can shop can help to buy for me eg if i got from Qili would they help?
    also what do i need to buy one? Obviously Passport , Visa, DL but what is the process or things to pay attention to in getting best price and doing it legally.
    Yes, Qili will do everything for you. It is a high volume dealer of legal bikes, with small margins. You need to supply your passport, Temporary Residency Permit, a > 6 month visa, and some cash for the deposit. You will pay the balance when you pick up the plated bike. The whole process is very simple when you have Qili do it. Try to go mid-week as it gets very busy on weekends.

Best price? Qili works on volume and doesn't really give discounts. I've comparison priced identical bikes at various dealers and found Qili has always been lowest (for Beijing).

Good luck & feel free to call me if you need help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12