Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: The first two Jialing Jh600(B) are now in Europe!!!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Stunning, beautiful countryside, Bart. A nice home for some interesting Chinese bikes.

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: The first two Jialing Jh600(B) are now in Europe!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Bart Sanders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

Oh wait, what are you talking about?
    Opening up a new thread, are you?

No, seriously, you are right. The JH600B is the more difficult one to get licensed. I have written Jialing if they have released a "L4e" Vehicle Category (i.e. motorcycle with sidecar) into the EC Type Approval Database. If not, it gets tough. We then have to license the motorcycle part as a solo and hook up the sidecar again after licensing.

Stay tuned!

Bart

3. #23 Anybody has the Jialing Jh600B sidecar wheel adjustments? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Bart Sanders's Avatar
    Hello!

After showing our Jialing JH600B on the E-G-T event, a quite fierce discussion has started on a dutch sidecar drivers forum. The core question is why the steering sidecar wheel in a left turn starts to steer to the right again in the very last degrees of steering to the left up to end-stop.

For those who do not know this behaviour of the JH600B:
    - from driving straight
    - start of left turn, sidecar wheel turns left also
    - more left turn, sidecar wheel turns more left also
    - almost end of left turn steering angle, the sidecar wheel starts to turn to the right
    - max. left turn reached, max. steering angle, sidecar wheel points to the right of the neutral position

In our dutch forum there are two opinions: wrongly adjusted, s.c.wheel must always turn left. The other opinion: correct, the turn to the right in the final leftturn stage prohibits the rear wheel from coming loose and tilting the complete unit over the axle front-wheel to s.c. wheel.

Two questions:
    Any suggestions?

Who has the Jialing adjustment instructions for the s.c. wheel steering mechanism?

I tried Jialing directly, but to no avail

4. #24 Re: Anybody has the Jialing Jh600B sidecar wheel adjustments? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bart, as a partisan of the two-wheeled Jialing, I have no idea of the answer. But I find strangely comical the notion of half of Holland stressing over this quirky conundrum!!

I'm guessing td_ref will know...
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: Anybody has the Jialing Jh600B sidecar wheel adjustments? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Sanders View Post
    In our dutch forum there are two opinions: wrongly adjusted, s.c.wheel must always turn left. The other opinion: correct, the turn to the right in the final leftturn stage prohibits the rear wheel from coming loose and tilting the complete unit over the axle front-wheel to s.c. wheel.

Two questions:
    Any suggestions?
    In another thread, people are wondering why Chinese drivers appear to be turning left (or right) and then suddenly, at the last moment and without warning, turn in the completely opposite direction. Well, now we know ... it is a design feature of Chinese vehicles!

Seriously, I recall reading a technical paper about this issue. It boiled down to the "parking lot speed bump" factor.

Practically, a hard turn (left or right) of the handlebars is only done at very low speed (where there is no forward force of momentum). There is some issue with a 3-wheeled bike's location of mass, rotating Centre of Gravity and pivoting "tip-over" point. It is exacerbated differently on a left turn from a right turn. On uneven ground, during a low speed left turn, the sidecar's wheel can hop over a bump and tip left, but the sidecar's right steer on a very tight left turn of the bike is apparently enough to overcome that force. As I recall, the technical paper said it is unlikely for the bike to tip over, only that the sidecar would have an accentuated "hop" over bumps in tight left turns. Again, this is in very low speed conditions where there is no forward momentum.

With forward momentum added to the equation, the issue becomes one of right turns causing the sidecar to lift, but that is a completely different kettle of fish.

People who have seen Skidders operating in timber harvesting conditions (side of mountains) have seen these strange steering mechanisms on triangular wheel arrangements, or where there is substantially different track widths, front and rear, yet all wheels can steer. Steering wheels are pointing in opposite directions to keep the Skidder in an upright position, at near stationary speeds.

The physics become very complicated when one also begins considering the force of the driving wheel(s), especially if there is torque being used within the steering function.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Sanders View Post
    Who has the Jialing adjustment instructions for the s.c. wheel steering mechanism?

I tried Jialing directly, but to no avail
    It continues to be on my "to-do" list - acquiring the full "B" service manual. Came close, once. I will try another avenue soon. Jialing, a state-owned-enterprise, really doesn't like us knowing its state secrets ... such as how to service the bikes we have bought.

Anyone else out there with access to these state secrets?

PS: Hope your "B" registration is progressing.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 09-07-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typos

6. #26 Re: The first two Jialing Jh600(B) are now in Europe!!!!! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Good evening friends! I'm motocilista more than 20 years. Now came to the JH BRAZIL 600 with the name of dunna 600. Today I want to change AQUILA 250 more for Traill. Would like to know your impressions of the JH 600. Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123