Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing - Hohhot 
    C-Moto Regular
    For this upcoming National Day break in the beginning of October my friend and I are looking to make decent tracks and to some exploring in northern China. We are leaning towards making are way out of Beijing toward Inner Mongolia via Jiangjiakou, then to Ulanqab, and finally arriving at Hohhot. Has anybody done this ride before and feel like sharing your experience? Thanks!
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

2. #2 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    hey, I had similar plan to just go threw all this empty spaces, have a rest from the crowds. I even bought the maps but then I checked the temperature amplitudes for some cities in IM and it showed me 3 C. Isn't that too cold? If its not I might go back to this idea.

http://www.gaisma.com/en/dir/cn-country.html - weather amplitudes
    JH-150GY-3

3. #3 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    Hm, sounds like a plan.

If you look at the temperature graph you posted, you see a big drop from Sep to Oct. Because this is not going to happen overnight and it is an average temperature scale it means that days in the beginning of October should still be fair if not warm.

I will see how much holiday I can get for national day and then maybe join you guys, at least for the first few days...
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

4. #4 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    I made a couple of trips to Northern Hebei and Inner Mongolia. Be aware of very low temperatures from September to May! I spent a very cold (<10 Celsius) and stormy night camping in the Southern part of Inner Mongolia late May and another camping night in Northern Hebei in October when our water bottles got frozen in the morning. Don't believe weather statistics about this area.
    Also note that most of the hotels in tourist places have no heating since they're only open from May to August.

Otherwise a great area for bike travel.
    Andy

5. #5 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    ok, thats some checked info, i guess u went there during the national holidays? but how was the ride? was it also too cold? your camping sounds extreme:)
    JH-150GY-3

6. #6 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    C-Moto Regular
    ok, turns out some folks on this forum braved the winds of inner mongolia last national day break: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ghlight=hohhot

hopefully i wont fall deathly ill like those involved in last year's misadventure.

and all are welcome on our ride, where ever we may end up going. my riding partner-in-crime is back in spain right now reconnecting with his ex-gf, so its hard to finalize anything.
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

7. #7 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    not much info about the weather though, are you also planning 5* hotel? I will have a 10people van support proppably. If we decide to go to Inner Mongolia maybe we could join for part of the ride.
    JH-150GY-3

8. #8 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'm not sure yet about my plans during the October holiday, but I'd prefer to go more south instead of heading for areas even colder than Beijing!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

9. #9 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    Quote Originally Posted by filipu View Post
    ok, thats some checked info, i guess u went there during the national holidays? but how was the ride? was it also too cold? your camping sounds extreme:)
    We were there after the National holidays.

I'm surely not an extreme camper but I prefer my tent and sleeping bag compared to the dirty, smelly, lousy and little hotels in small towns, where you always become the center of attention for the evening of your stay. We always find some nice spots to set up camp and if we are spotted some folks may show up but no one ever bothered us. We are well equipped and bring along chairs, table, bbq, etc - all on the bikes, no van, no car, no truck
    Andy

10. #10 Re: Beijing - Hohhot 
    We think about this as an alternatvie if it turns out to be too cold in IM, but maybe it would be nice to go to a cold empty place after hot and crowdy BJ. Abyway, would you consder traveling with 125-150ccm bikes on your 600ccm Jialing?
    JH-150GY-3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast