Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    Following Euphonius advice, and to keep me busy not to open new threads that already exist on this forum I will try to share with you some impressions of my Jialing JH-150GY-3.
    I'm sure fahni will join.
    I bought this bike at the dealer beijingriders.com . Price for a new bike is 7800 plus B plate registration and insurance 9400 in total. I'm not sure what is the factory price of this bike, I was so desperate to have something to ride that I just decided to buy it. Availible colours: blue, black and red.
    Here is the specification from the offcial web page:
    http://www.jialing.com.cn/newjl/cn_w...productid=1031

Can't say much about it, except the fact you can ride it faster than they say. I did a bit over 100km/h on flat road.
    Before I bought it I was crazy about Long March that you cannot register in BJ at the moment. I was considering JH600 also, as I thought 150ccm will be too small for me (195cm hight) but as I asked one of my bike experienced friends what should I buy he suggested me scooter R9 for the beginning. That was a bit less than I expected, much less, so when I've found fahni's post about JH-150GY i decided to see it and try it. It felt good!

I didn't ride since I did my motorcycle course a year ago and way home from the dealer was a nightmare but after the ride next day everything was fine.
    I'm glad I don't have a more powerfull thing for the beginning because I'm sure I would try soon what it can do. The 100km/h is a safe limit for me now. The bike is light, enough powerfull for one person mountain climbing. I can get everywhere I want, so I explore all the side roads, abandoned coal mine areas near G108, and I tried some deep mud last weekend but I'd like to have cubicle(?) tires for that. I like the brakes, still nothing to compare to, but I had a couple of situations now and I feel confident about them.
    About the tank, it takes about 2.75l/100km. I thought it should make about 300km but lat weekend I've ended up with an empty tank, on the road in mountains, in full sun, after 250km, but it included some offroad. There is that reserve in the tank but I think it was open (fahni, turen it back to the previous position)
    Even if I would buy JH600 next year I'd like to keep this bike because it's fun.
    The only thing I don't like is speed over 80km/h on a highway, it doesn't feel secure, but it wasn't made for this.
    I'd be happy to give it to someone experienced for a try. I think there is something wrong with it know, it makes some sound when I add just a little bit of speed, and it feels a bit less powerfull, but it might be my imagination, as I have know idea about bikes, or i just got used to it and it's not so scary anymore.
    I'm planning to do about 3000km during next October holidays and I belive it will show how trustable is this bike.

Maybe fahni can copy his impressions here because I didn't want to write what he already wrote.
    cheers!
    Last edited by filipu; 09-01-2011 at 02:20 AM.
    JH-150GY-3

2. #2 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    JH-150GY-3

3. #3 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    Hello there, happy to join.

I bought a used one in blue with 1600+ km on the clock (sorry for wrongly saying it was 160 km in another thread). It was 7000 RMB all-in.

I shared my experiences earlier here but copy-paste the text again for convenience:

The disclaimer: This is my first own bike. Before that, I was only riding small 110cc bikes around a little vietnamese island and I once rode a CJ650 sidecar. So take all my assessments with a grain of salt.

Generally I am happy with the bike. Even riding two up with luggage, the handling is ok. She is definitely no sprinter, more a workhorse. We went to the mountains north of Miyun (Baihe to be exactly) and we had no problems climbing mountains, even accelerating. Top speed could be higher. I did not race her but it seems that the 85 km/h topspeed given on the website is pretty accurate. Handling her on the expressway is also ok, no soft, wiggly feeling in the tail.

Because we made a few wrong turns, we ended up on some VERY bad tracks but once I got the feeling for clutch and gas, it was smooth sailing even on real bumpy trails and through some river patches. I generally love the suspension but that is probably because my ebike has no suspension at all, so I felt like on cloud #9 with this cross bike.

There are some cons, though:
    No gear indicator (just a lamp for neutral)
    No tachometer
    and NO fuel meter, not even an emergency lamp! So we ran out of fuel just ahead of the petrol station and I had to push the bike for the last 500 m.
    Reach seems to be a problem as well. Tank volume is around 8 L and the website gives a fuel consumption of around 2,2L/100km so I was expecting to get at least 300km out of my almost full tank. But I just got 260km out of appr. 7,2L. That gives an average consumption of 2,75L. Then again I was riding 2 up, in the mountains and my gear shifting probably still leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Brakes seem fine but I will do some more thorough brake testing when I am alone and have some secluded road for me.

For the price and considering that there are no bigger displacement bikes ready for registration, the bike is a good deal. But I still hope, that there will be some larger bikes available next year.
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

4. #4 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    Some updates to the above post:

After-sales service at beijing riders sucks! Ordered some spare parts and after a month they are still not in the shop, yet.

Last week, I went for an oil change, which they did. Then they told me that the bike has no oil filter. Is that possible?

When they cleaned and re-lubed the chain, they sprayed chain lube all over the rear brake disk. Asked them to clean it off but the brake is still not what it was before. BTW, I cannot see the indicator carvings in the rear brake pads any more but the pad still looks quite thick. Do you think the brake pad could already be worn down after 2500+ km?

I second Filipus notion on comfortable cruising speed. I think 75km/h is the best speed on the highway even though I pushed her to 90 so far. Handling is definetly nice and last WE I did some offroading with a pillion and it was still ok though very exhausting.
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

5. #5 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    ...they told me that the bike has no oil filter. Is that possible?
    Dial the toll free number & complain to Jialing in CQ.
    The bore & stroke (63.5x 49.5) is SAME as early CRF150F . Basics about small Honda & clones that uses washable "screen" : http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/oil...ge%20the%20Oil

6. #6 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Would it be possible to retrofit an oil filter somewhere?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    Can it be lame questions thread? What should be the tire pressure for this bike? 12-15psi?
    JH-150GY-3

8. #8 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    Where's ur user manual? Chinese uses kpa
    There's oil screen as #220 saids at http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17030311_11.htm . Try to meet those guy in BJ if had chance.

9. #9 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great idea for a thread, filipu!

This looks like a nice little bike, and given how much dirt you have have around Beijing will be a ton of fun if you can find places you like. There are plenty of paved twisties all around to the north and west of Beijing, but at almost every bend there's the start of a dirt road that probably leads up a pocket canyon, but also might not. Even pocket canyons are a blast on a nimble little bike like this.

Throw on an Adlo top box and you can get pretty much anywhere in Beijing with a place to stow your helmet and gloves faster than pretty much anyone else, given its ability to lanesplit and exploit shoulders, bike lanes, service exits and the occasional sidewalk (no, not recommended, but sometimes essential).

I look forward to following along as you guys put these bikes through their paces.

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by euphonius; 09-19-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Jialing JH-150GY-3 impressions 
    @euphonius: lame thread or JH150? ;)
    @humanbeing: great links, please more about anything ;)
    JH-150GY-3

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast