Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoboy66
    How can you tell the plate is illegal??
    I was thinking before to get a similar bike in Beijing in fact there are some really great import bikes on places like thebeijinger.com classifieds.

I found a Yam XJR 400 the guy said had a plate but had lost the documents...hmmmmm:-0
    I then thought maybe as I am in BJ its best be cautious and look at a new genuine plated chinese bike

Whats the deal with these ads and bikes is it a scam or just illegal import and what happens if you get caught?
    as TIC guess BJ / SH are most strict cities to police this.
    The Jiangsu H plates with regular bolts attaching them are a giveaway.

So the story goes like this:

In 1996 or 1998, I forget which, the government decided that all big bikes over 250cc should be made illegal. At this time there were many legally imported bikes which suit the Chinese road conditions quite well such as the gorgeous CB400 and XJR400. So plates were then removed from all these bikes that had been legally imported and registered. At the same time there was a growth in stolen bikes coming in from Hong Kong, which are usually more exotic.

So at the end of the story a Chinese cop seeing you riding a 92-98 CB400 will know that the bike was 'illegalised' and will likely be more forgiving than someone on a 2006 Sukuki 'busa that was nicked from HK.

Can a CB400 be retro-registered? Tough question, maybe yes with the right location and connections, maybe no. Better chances than a stolen HK bike for sure, and CB400s have better rider Karma too. Bike looks mint could be perfect, some are (20,000 RMB) some look perfect (10,000RMB) but have been dropped more times than a bar of wet soap.

2. #12 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Is it Christmas already?

I'm old school and never used adjustable levers before. What do the little red levers do?

Really nice bike! Great color.

Nyeh ... I'd leave the "su" plates on ... at least they're VBs ... the su plates running around Beijing are all VDs.

Well, there are 6 settings, basically you can adjust how far away the levers will be from your grips (I suppose if you have a big hand or you want to get nice finger pull), also to suit different riding styles, if you feel the levers are too far away and you're reaching for them, you can make them closer.

Here's one adjusted to 6

3. #13 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Hi, wondering how much you paid for the shocks. Would also appreciate if you could report back on whether or not they work well for you.
    CB400 is one of my favourite Hondas. I'm sure you're enjoying it.
    Those shocks cost RMB185 for the set at the wholesale bike market in Guangzhou, they're Chinese made, but they look good and I'm sure they'll be fine for a good long while, I'll let you know how they perform once they're on the bike, they're also re-fillable:

4. #14 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    C-Moto Guru
    Thanks, I need a set myself for a project I am renewing. At that price they're an steal as long as they work for a while. In my limited experience, having good shocks can make a large difference in the quality of the ride. Are you doing all the work yourself? I grow increasingly jealous of the other members living here in China who have actual mechanical skill and training.

5. #15 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Thanks, I need a set myself for a project I am renewing. At that price they're an steal as long as they work for a while. In my limited experience, having good shocks can make a large difference in the quality of the ride. Are you doing all the work yourself? I grow increasingly jealous of the other members living here in China who have actual mechanical skill and training.
    Working on bikes is half the fun of owning them, in fact I can't imagine what it's like owning a bike that doesn't have any problems.. I'd find things to change and tinker around on anyway... the only mechanical experience you need is having owned shit bikes that you're forced to fix yourself on shoestring budget, you'll get the hang of it (maybe go out and buy a barely running junker and use it to learn).

6. #16 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great advice, Serpentza. I bought my first bike on my 52nd birthday, and made a point of getting a beater -- a bike that was running but had all kinds of "issues". Paid US$1000 for a 10-year-old KLR650 with 30000 miles on the meter. The fun started the first day, and I attended numerous "tech days" at which you wrench your bike in someone else's garage under the watchful eye of a bunch of guys who've seen it all before. Swapped out all kinds of parts, and really improved the running and reliability of my bike -- and met a bunch of straight shooters in the process. Would still love to start doing tech days here, but I'm afraid I'd have to be one of the presiding elder statesmen, a notion that does not give me comfort!

Anyway, this gave me far more confidence when I bought a new chinabike here in Shanghai a few months later. Though I've (thankfully) not had to do too much wrenching on the Jialing myself, I won't hesitate when the time comes.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Ok, there was a cb400 parked in my mate's Wuyang service shop. I was given chance to ride the bike for a few minutes.
    First impression, the engine sound is stunning, silky smooth. Double triple quadruple peak power than my GS150. Feel a bit weight get on, but as soon as start moving, it's zippy. Absolute killer at straight, gear box less forgiving. Got a lot eyes on me too. I rode her civilized but the the afternoon rush hour had given me a lot more room. I don't need to rev it high before realizing the vision became blur...No helmet on.
    Oh, the engine dissipates huge amount of heat.
    同志仍需努力

8. #18 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Yeah, you're right about the engine heat, I seriously noticed that. As soon as you slow down or come to a stop your legs get slow roasted.... Oh well, it's the price you pay for awesomeness

9. #19 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post
    the own has got same levels as in your picture. But the mirror is not so good. Another impression is the stoping power. I could just forget the rear brake. The front is enough.
    同志仍需努力

10. #20 Re: My CB400SF Version S 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    Another impression is the stoping power. I could just forget the rear brake. The front is enough.
    Couldn't agree more, those dual front discs are killer, when I first got the bike I kept stopping way to hard.. some serious stopping power is always a good thing when you've got a fast bike... One thing, since it's a Japanese bike the lights are constantly on (you can't turn them off when the bike is running), but I bought a cool little mod from the bike market that fixes this problem, I'll post pics soon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast