Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    Hi,

After selling minicross, I wanted to buy bigger bike. But now it seems I'll be out of country for month, and when I'm back it might be too cold to do any real trips so... I'm considering buying r9-alike for a winter.

My question is - what are the differences between all the r9s that you can see on the road? My friend bought two of them (first was stolen), they look like from different manufacturer, but still very alike. He paid 3200 for each one (without plates). Is it reasonable price? Should I pay any attention to type of R9 or just grab generic 150cm and be happy?

Any point in spending time reading about R9 or for that price there's no difference between them?

2. #2 Re: Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    To be legal and to avoid loads of hassles, from buying gas, to keeping your bike, to not being run off the road by car drivers that may be irritated cuz you have no plate and no insurance. GJSY makes a couple of models of r9, standard, best and I think Lintex. I'm not sure if the Lintex r9 is made by GJSY or if it is a separate brand but it has efi, will pass c3 emissions standards and can get plates. Leike r5 is another bike you may be interested in, I think it is similar to the r9. I saw a guy the other day that was riding a Lintex r9 and the quality diferences between it and the GJSY r9 'BEST' that I bought were very significant. Also helps to get a license. I am a foreigner in Beijing and my bike was confiscated, I got it back after about 3 weeks. Now I have a License and the only issues I have are not being able to legally buy gas. Police in Beijing are cracking down big on illegal plates but I still have no plate and they don't bother me.

3. #3 Re: Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    Hi,

Sorry, I'm bit confused :). You're saying that Lintex R9 is better than GJSY "Best"?

Do you have their chinese names? So I can recognize the hanzi? :)

Ps. I got the license, so that's one less hassle. I do hope that they will chill out with checking plates after national holiday. Luckily, I won't buy it before 23rd Oct, so hopefully, before that time it'll be more clear what the hell is going on :)

4. #4 Re: Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Worr,

Congrats on getting your license! How was that process? Acceptably smooth, or problematic? You might want to post an update in the Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License sticky.

Lots of folks out there wanting to do it, but lots of confusion about how difficult and expensive it is, or isn't.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    Hi euphonius,

I didn't do the full course, only transfered my current moto license to chinese one. I can post a detailed but narrow to my case description if you think it has any value (Beijing, transfer license)

:)

6. #6 Re: Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Worr View Post
    Hi euphonius,

I didn't do the full course, only transfered my current moto license to chinese one. I can post a detailed but narrow to my case description if you think it has any value (Beijing, transfer license)

:)
    Dear Worr,

Actually, I do not think you "transferred" your foreign license, but rather, were allowed to skip the road training and road test because you've already qualified for driving and riding in your home country. If you don't mind, given all the confusion about the process and its costs, please do drop a paragraph into that thread saying:
    --where you went to get the license
    --how many trips there you had to make
    --what you were required to present and/or do to qualify for the road skills exemption
    --details of the written test (and your score!)
    --what you paid in various fees, and
    --how long it took from beginning to end.

This would be most welcome and useful for anyone facing the prospect of getting licensed in Beijing or anywhere else in China.

Congrats again!

Cheers.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Buying R9-kind of scooter 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Not so sure what GJSY is, except that they have a decal on my GJSY r9. Rumor is that some factories in Zhejiang make motorcylce parts. Someone wants to sell GJSY scooters they buy enough parts for several hundred bikes, buy some GJSY decals and qualification certificates. Then have a few people locally assemble them. The people that assemble them may or may not be mechanics. Theory is that all GJSY scooters are assembled locally in the city they are sold in. GJSY does not have a web site. My Chinese friends have not even been able to locate the company. They have no quality control. I bought one, but will not buy another one. My bad.

information about Lintex can be found atLintex is at http://en.zjhuatian.com/ht/index.asp.

I'm not sure how long my GJSY? r9 wil last, I have been told perhaps a year. Personally I am looking at Piaggio for my next scoot.

Also congrats on your license.