Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
    ...still legal in the EU with all those euroV emission tests
    Bike is still in euro3 stage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcy...nmental_impact

2. #12 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    I would trade my Qingqi 200 for an XT250 in a heart beat, but a 2008-2009 with low miles sell for around $3,000.00.

Yamaha puts that engine in a few models, the YBR250, the XT250 and that is also the engine in the Tricker.

3. #13 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    might still be euro3 but with euroIV ,euroV around the corner hence the axe of the next rotary powered mazda no point developing something that will have to be culled yet again,

The tricker looks very much like a Rieju Tango which is available with a 2 stroke 50 Am6 engine (Minarelli/yamaha design), 125 a honde cg copy and a 250 version which is a Loncin engine
    Rieju Tango 250 SM.jpgTango 250 SM
    Rieju Tango 250.jpgStandard Tango 250
    By XT250 do you mean the XT250 Serow sold in the states or the brazilian made XTZ250?
    Yamaha XT 250 Serow.jpgthis is the Serow
    Yamaha XTZ 250 Tenere.jpgXTZ TenereYamaha XTZ 250 Lander.jpgXTZ Lander
    Last edited by Kennon; 09-10-2011 at 05:29 PM.

4. #14 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    The Tango 250 sells in England for about $5,000.00, its a cool bike but with the Loncin 223cc its not close to the Yamaha XT250 that sells for that same price in the USA.

Yamaha only offers three 250 dual sports in the USA, two are DOHC 4-valves and have Minarelli engines and the other is the XT250 (Serrow/Japan) the other offering is the TW200 of the four dual sports they offer. The water cooled 250 are awesome bikes but they retail for around $6,000.00 the XT250 for about $5,000.00 and the TW200 for $4,000.00.

The Lifan seems to be a copy of the 250 engine that Yamaha offers in the XT250, YBR250 and some others as you pointed out. Lifan seems to have modified it some though by adding the oil cooler and sixth gear.

That comes off threatening to me, if I was Yamaha I would not be pleased by what Lifan seems to be offering. Because that engine is part of a comprehensive line of bikes for Yamaha, Lifan could under cut them in allot of markets theoretically.

Rieju has a or it seems to have a formal relationship with Yamaha, they must or they would not be able to offer the Minnarelli engines. They may have also purchased the rights to the Tango design which is the Yamaha Trickerless the 250cc engine in question.

5. #15 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    I think the Cossack is interesting, wonder why they would equate it through its name to the Slavic people though?

The images of the Cossack on the Chinese forum have Mondial on them, just a decal stuck on the crank case though. Mondial is currently offering the Shineray 250 as the Cross X-Treme, but as a testament to the fact that marketing people do not know what they are selling they have its specs at 12Kw @6000 rpm? Or they did something horrible to the engine to make it pass emissions? The engine is rated at 18Kw @ 8000rpmsomething is not correct or went horribly wrong.

http://www.mondialmotorcycle.com/
    http://www.shineray-atv.com/dir.asp

Ugur Mondial also has the Lifeng 250 sport bike.they also seem to have the specs on that distorted they have it with 9.5Kw @9000 rpm?

I keep thinking they should have somebody check it before they hit enter? Everyone can see it! It will or could kill sales.

6. #16 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    well the relationship between Rieju and Yamaha is probably 100% dealt with Minarelli, on the rights to tango design im not too sure on as its for different markets most probably one taking influence from the other but new Yamaha's are a rare occurence there TZR 50 has been the same shape since 2004 and there DT50 not a thing changed but perhaps the colour from year to year, i prefer these small european manufacturers buying nice off the shelf parts with japanese engines meaning there well spec'd and are reliable such as my bike plus at a more competitive price with the euro.

hmmm i dont think Yamaha will have too much to worry about it will steal a few sales but it doesnt look as dual sport focused plus people will always pay out more for Quality and a big brand they trust. if the Lifan was sold in the EU would sell well especially in the scandinavian countries with there lower prices, since in the EU there isnt much focus on the 250 market as in other parts of the world, pretty niche market as most do there license on a 125 and go straight to a full power bigger bike.

strange its only saying 12KW i reade a test of the shineray in a UK motorcycle newspaper not to long ago and it was definitely full power and fully road legal.

7. #17 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    I really like the new R15 2.0 from India YAMAHA Motor Pvt. Ltd

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/r15/
    17Hp @8500 rpm
    15 Nm @7500 rpm
    SOHC 4-Valve
    Liquid-Cooled
    6 speed
    149.8cc
    Fuel injection

$2,265.99

8. #18 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    17bhp what that does not make sense its the same engine as my Rieju but with 25 more CC's yet produces less power, personall i prefer the YZF R125 sold over here in Europe much sportier styling and handling, that 150cc big bore fits easily and so does a 180cc malossi kit they even race them in Italy under the R125 malossi cup
    Yamaha YZF R125 blue.jpg
    Yamaha YZF R125 Cup.jpg

9. #19 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    Its not the same engine, the Reiju and the YZF-R125 have the M/C 125 WR engine.

Why would you say the R15 150cc has less power its rated with 2hp more then the Motori Minarelli 125cc and with 16% more torque?

I want to correct my earlier post, the WR 250cc water cooled engines sold in the US by Yamaha are not Minarelli Engines as they only offer a 125cc and 660cc in vertical motorcycles engine. The later according to their website is in an effort to fend of the losses in sales in the horizontal engine class and that do to the entrance in the European market from manufacturers in developing nations.

India will take the lead in affordable small bikes.all the manufacturers operating in India will launch more models to compete. Eventually those will find there way to Europe and also the US.

10. #20 Re: Has anyone seent his Lifan 250 before? 
    if youtake a look at the engines side by side identical bottom end just different specs for each market use, the malaysian 135 LC yamaha is actually the same engine aswell but the crank casing has been flipped round to adopt the different gearbox in the bike

well it has less power as my engine a keihin carburetted M/C 125 WR engine is rated at 20.1bhp hence yh mine is 3bhp up on a bigger engine:
    Reade this review by a company based in the same city as me especially the part about the engine:
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2009-current/
    strangely even when the 125 engine is bored out to 180cc it still only makes just there or abouts the same power as the 125 at full power
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...2010-current-/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast