Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    C-Moto Noob
    I am never a big fan of talking about myself... or introducing myself whatever you wanna call it. So here goes another failed attempt at an introduction.... Actually forget that. I'm gonna go with a new approach. I'm going to randomly type what comes to my mind and you should get an idea of me... Or not. It don't matter since it's the I-net and mostly filled with lies. I may be the women of your dreams or the fat guy who lives down the street that smels like hotdogs. (oddly enough I really do smell like hotdogs, but thats all I'm saying about that).... Anyways moving on now. I've started looking for a bike (great time right before fall starts I know) I'm cheap. China bikes seem to appeal to me and my cheapness. So here I land. I've been reading through various post and other sites and I've coome to the decision of I WANT A BOBBER. Lower price is always better but not the determining factor. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to one of two bikes. The Johnny Pag BARHOG or the CCW THA HEIST. Very simular looking. I can see ups and down in both. I may have missed something but I've not seen many comparisons between the two besides the odd ball comment of "that looks like this" or "they stole that design from" With a $1000+ difference is there a differnece? Wheres that extra money going? is it Just for the liquid cooled 300cc as opposse to the air cooled 250cc? I mean one has no mirrors among other little things that seem to be missing in some orders yet still cost more? Also does anyone know anything about the Johnny Pang and it's home delivery? I got a shop about 1.5hrs. away to go check out tha hiest but It's got a bad rep and dont care to deal with them but will do if thats the bike for me.... Wow I'm rambling. I'm done. Sorry to waste your time if you read thru it all. Yet thank you in advance for any info shared. I hope in time to be a more contributing memeber to this site. After lurking around for a bit seems like a good group.

2. #2 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    ahh nice a "tha heist" would look mint but if your not wanting to deal with teh dealer just buy the bike make sure they PDI it properly then do all the work by yourself or a local garage do it for you somewhere you trust that way you can keep track things are working well and that your paying the right dollars out for work carried out on the bike

3. #3 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    Welcome to here--the Heist is a single and the Pag is a twin, and has more cc's (the Heist is actually a 229cc)...both have a decent rep, but the CCW's are a lot newer, so are not as time tested. We have a resident Heist owner in the form of 'Gardo' but I have yet to see anyone here with a Pag!!?

4. #4 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 

Dong Fang also.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #5 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post

Dong Fang also.
    Barnone, forgot about you and the DF

The Dongfang is over a $1k cheaper than the Heist, Toe; you might have to mail order for it, unless you have a dealer carrying them close to you. Some states won't let you street register it, as some have found out the hard way, but it is a good alternative to the Heist and Pag if everything goes your way; and you have Barnone, our resident Dongfang expert, to guide you through ownership!!

6. #6 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Yeah I've been reading all over the sight about stuff... I feel I'm already good friends with Gardo and Barnone due to the amount of post they got.

I do like the look of the DF's but I'd have to order one off the net and reading about past troubles of people it kinda scared me off. Though like I said I'm cheap... it just may still happen?

I'm quiet surprised that there aren't any Pag owners in the group. Maybe I shall become the first....? And share my jopury... But most likely not cuz the more I look into it the more I'm drawn to...

Tha Heist. I know they are new and not time tested, yet, but it appears to be a pretty honest company. They actually list known problems and ways to fix or avoid on there site. Pag don't (does DF even have an actual site?).

The main reason for leaning towards Tha Heist: Not online ordering+ Decent price+ looks good+ appears to be a good/honest company.

7. #7 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    I am impressed with CCW; have corresponded with the main guy a few times (got him to advertise on The Fright Channel), and they have been reviewed favorably in mainstream magazines. Pag has generally been low-key for years and years. There have been Regal Raptor owners on mychinamoto--Regal (or someone who uses Regal in some markets) is (most likely) the OEM for Pag products, so there have been threads about the bikes, just not Johnny Pag in the US, which might have differences, but at least you can get a gist of their bikes via mychinamoto, and come to think of it, youtube.

Dong Fang do not have a site, at least not in the US. Their bikes are available on some large mail-order companies' sites, and some not so large. Using past trial and error, and them having to eat the cost on some peoples bikes (i.e. Gardo and another member whose name I forgot), the large mail=order companies are probably more aware of which states will allow the Dong Fang. However, I would not order one if I were you, until I knew that Missouri would plate it. Living in AZ, I am 100% sure I could get one plated here, so would consider one, if I was looking for a bobber The CCW Heist is 50 state legal, so you have that part out of your way! Pags are probably 50 state legal, too, so that should help you narrow down your choices.

8. #8 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    hey tumtoe and welcome
    now everbody buys the bike which suits them and what they want to do

you might smell like hot dogs but i,m picking that you are young or at least this is your first bike?

nothing against choppers/bobbers or any particular kind of bike

but

a bike can take you around the block or around the country or even around the world
    so when i was young and stupid i was seriously thinking about buying a chopped triumph 650

because i thought it looked cool

the fact that it handled like an airport trolley, was totally un reliable had no brakes to speak of and was good for posing around town and nothing else

all this escaped me because i didnt know anything about bikes i had just seen " easy rider " and the chopper seemed like the coolest thing on wheels

my boss at the time was a crusty old coot about 50 years old who road a bmw r65 . one of the ugliest bikes ever built
    but he had ridden it from england to new zealand and owned it for 30 years...

he told me to take his bike for a weekend and ride at least 1000km on it

the point is ..and im getting quite close to it now..

think about what you really want from a bike .. do you want to go places and see things?
    maybe you dont really know ..

just consider a chinese dual sport bike of which there are plenty available in the states
    get your hands on one for a few days , get out and ride it see a bit of the world , get offroad into the wilderness

then consider if a chopper can take you there

just my 2 cents worth

and no offence to the other owners of bobbers and choppers

9. #9 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    I think you have valid points, zhu, but in this day of modern retros, these bobbers were designed to ride from the start, not altered bikes that started as other bikes and made uncomfortable and unsuitable, such as your chopper dream bike. They are not as suitable in many ways as more conventional bikes, but Gardo, Barnone, and a few others have shown that these modern, designed from the ground up as a bobber from the manufacturer, bikes are not as archaic and abusive as their ancient ancestors were to all but the most hardcore of biker gang-member.

10. #10 Re: TumToe is here; please continue on as normal... 
    hey culcane i get your point what i really mean is that the bobbers are more of an "image" bike to ride around in the city and a dual sport bike will take you anywhere in the world.
    i remember guys who rode choppers for a few years and then left bikes behind forever presumably because they got bored with riding around in circles
    the guys with dirt bikes and touring bikes generally still ride (the ones who didnt die) and now are crusty old coots like me
    anyway tumtoe can make up his/her own mind. i,m just floating another point of view

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast