Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Pls Help Identify Clutch Part for Baja Phoenix PX250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i Everyone,

I'm new here so I apologize in advance if I'm putting this in the wrong forum.

I purchased a 2008 Baja Phoenix 250cc cruiser type bike from pep boys and I'm trying to diagnose & repair a clutch that wont disengage. Sofar... I managed to get the housing off without breaking it. LOL.

-When I pulled the housing a small black bolt with a spring on it fell out AND I have no idea where it goes. Please see 2nd & 3rd attached pics.

- I'm also looking for a service manual for this bike. It is a Chinese clone of a honda rebel (but you all knew that already) -so a honda repair manual should work. Others: hensim 250cc or Qlink Legend workshop manual and there's more I'm sure. I just don't know what they're called. ...I'm learnin'.

Long-story-short: Riding home, clutch cable broke on the very end up top at the grip. Couldn't find a cable locally (not even at the honda dealer) so I ordered one on ebay. yet to receive it. Meanwhile, used a clamp and a small piece of wire to reattach the clutch cable. The rigged repair I made works, however, the clutch won't disengage. I can speed shift thru all the gears and get it into neutral as well - so the tranny is working. The clutch is not slipping. Tried pushing bike backwards & forwards while changing gears - with wheels on ground to free the clutch. no luck. Changed oil using 4-stroke motorcycle oil, warmed it up and then the clutch mechanism worked again. Cut off bike but when I went back to it later that night - it would not disengage. Warmed bike up, tried pushing back & forth again. even put it on center stand and started it and shifted thru all the gears but no luck.

I have decades of auto experience, rebuilding engines, carbs, installing clutches, etc. About the only thing I haven't done to an automobile is to rebuild a tranny. Have very little exp. working on bikes.
    2008_baja_phoenix_clutch_001.jpg2008_phoenix_unknwn_clutch_bolt_004.jpg2008_phoenix_unk_clutch_bolt_002.jpg
    -I would appreciate any tips or advice/suggestions that CFM members could give me.

...also had a few beers tonight so I hope I sound coherent even though I aint. I mean, "I'm not."

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Incoherent and flyin blind...

2. #2 Re: Pls Help Identify Clutch Part for Baja Phoenix PX250 
    bikebandit.com had the parts fiche
    ( Copryight) Clymer manual can be found at motomanual.com.ar
    The REAL thingy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200654702866

3. #3 Re: Pls Help Identify Clutch Part for Baja Phoenix PX250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I've identified where the part goes. It goes into the bolt near the oil pump and fits perfect. Just like it was made to go there. lol

I was also hoping to find the manual on the net so I don't have to wait for it in the mail and cuz I'm cheap too. lol. Still... if I'm gonna keep this bike - it's def. a good idea to get the repair manual. thank you for that link @humanbeing. very much appreciated!

4. #4 Re: Pls Help Identify Clutch Part for Baja Phoenix PX250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Update: ran some seafoam in it for a few mins. Rocked it back & forth and well... it worked. then changed oil using standard motorcycle oil. been a couple weeks & haven't had a prob since. thanks all for your help.