Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 QM 200GY or Lifan 200GY, opinions? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I just posted on another thread about what a great bike my Jialing JH150GY-2 has been, but I need a little more. Better hiway cruising ability and better smoothness on dirt roads.
    I thing about the short-stroke, revy 150 is that at 60 mph, it's turning like 9000 rpm[it will hit 10000]and it doesn't have the low end torque to gear it up any more.
    I wanted a QM250GY, but they are sold out here in Nicaragua, so I'm looking at the two best supported[by major dealerships]Chinese 200 D.P.'s.
    The QM 200GY[called the Genisis here]is a very well known quanity, both here[at the forum, mostly as the Qlink] and by me. There are tons of them here and they are known for two or three problems. My understanding is they have week shift forks. When they are roughly shifted[and most of us do shift roughly at times on these little bikes], the fork can bend and try to engage two gears at once, hence the broken second and third gears. I'm not much worried about that, it's rare, the bike has a year warrenty. More concerning to me is the plastics. They fade something terrible in the sun, especially the red and blue[my fav.s]. I've seen it over and over, 6 months and they are pastel. I suppose I could try and wax them or keep them covered.
    And it's a given that the batt. will need replacement.
    Overwise, I like these models, their flat seat and too soft suspension would work for me as I don't ride hard off road anymore and the seat allows some movement on the open road. I'm interested in the 21/18 wheel model it is sold by the Yamaha fanchise here for about $2000.
    Now the Lifan. It's a model that is unique to central america and I haven't able to find a picture on the net, so bear with me as I describe it.
    The running gear is actually a bit of a throw-back. Pushrod Honda copy engine of course. But the forks are standard units[not USD] and the rear brk. is a drum. Everthing else is pretty much standard GY-5A.. But the good part is that it comes with new Modern plastics and a very nice flat seat. Really a sharp looking bike. Personally, I don't miss the USD fork or rear disc as I don't think they are really needed of this caliper bike.
    The Lifan dealer is well established and has a good stock of parts. He wants $1800 out the door.
    The one thing I would have to replace is the rear rack. It comes with a silly little "half rack" and that would probably be $50. The gearing is OK for me I think, so the rack would be it for acessories.
    The QM 200 would need a bigger countershaft sprocket, so I figure it would be around $2050.
    I guess my problem is that I like both these bikes a lot and can't make up my mind. I'm thinking that they would be close power-wise, with the QM's Suzuki based OHC engine pulling a little better on the top end.
    Wish Jialing sold a 200 here.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks for reading my rather long-winded post.

2. #2 Re: QM 200GY or Lifan 200GY, opinions? 
    I am biased towards Suzuki, so would say to go with the Qingqi.

3. #3 Re: QM 200GY or Lifan 200GY, opinions? 
    Well....I am more familiar with Honda based engine...
    CG push rod OHC engine give better low toque while,
    CB chain drive OHC engine give a mid toque.
    Both honda based engine has been long production on the market and now a day the engine use world-wide.

I live in Thailand (SEA) and just got a Chinese bike JL200GY-2C.
    Overall is acceptable and value for the money (cost approx USD 1,533.- inc register paper and tax)
    Few negative points that the engine had a deep shake (not sure if the engine installed balancer) and idle has to be >1400
    rpm or I got engine stop at no time. (Compare to the other Japanese bike I got was CB125 runs very smooth)
    Good points is with USD fork, Cradle frame same as 250cc model, F+R disc brake.
    AVG city consumption is 26 Km/Ltr.

Lifan in my area with older model JL200GY-5B equipped with tele-fork, and only shift down gearing from 1th to 5th gear.
    Frame slightly diff but each continent spec may vary.
    Current bike....2011 M-Bike JL200GY-2C
    New Hobby: Photograph with Sony A500 + Minolta 50/1.4 - 28/2.8 - Zoom 80-200 APO G NEX5n + Most vintage German manual lenses i.e. Carl Zeiss Jena, Schneider Kreutznach, Enna Munchen, ISCO Gottingen, Steinheil, Voigtlander, Paxatte Staeble, Elmar & Elmarit, Meyer Gorlitz, Roeschlein Kreuznach, Rollei, Edixa, Pentacon, Schacht Ulm, Exakta, and enjoy life