Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: China UK on a JH600 
    I have been doing great with my JH600. Just recently 3 of us JH600 riders completed a 10-day trip with the RR below:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-Yangtze-River

During the trip, my bike had taken quite a bit of abuses and survived them. It has proven itself as a reliable bike which is capable of taking you to distances. Those 2 fellow riders are now on their way to Lhasa, Tibet, on their JH600s.

Models prior to 2011 all had some engine stalling problems of varying degrees. The new 2011 model, the JH600-A, seems to have improved and resolved that defect.

Falling down at its 210kg weight is probably the biggest threat to its health. If you equip your Jialing with a handguards and good set of side luggage boxes, it will survive the getoffs a lot better. Carrying some spare parts, like brake pads, tire tubes, clutch friction disks, etc., will help you stay on the road. However, getting services on the road will probably be difficult, especially if you needed parts, which can only be acquired directly through the Jialing's Chongqing factory. It is also sensitive to the quality of gas, which may give you troubles sometime.

Just my 2 cents.

2. #12 Re: China UK on a JH600 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I've owned a 2010 JH600 for about a year (6K kms) and I would have no serious concerns taking it anywhere inside China, due to the parts availability. Outside China, you could still have parts delivered but you might have to wait a few extra days. Although, in my experience, that has been when I have been forced to stop & smell the roses on a trip. Not a bad thing.

Personally, I like the bike. I always enjoy riding it. Aside from the stalling, nothing on my bike has failed or shown any signs of premature wear. The same can be said for my JH600B (sidecar model), although it blew a main fuse one day - but that was caused by the improper installation of a power outlet by a local "mechanic".

Documentation wouldn't be a problem but, as Andy notes, notarized translations would be mandatory. A couple of French guys just rode a JH600B from China to Europe. They have a blog somewhere (en francais). Might be worthwhile to contact them and ask what paperwork they needed.

Good luck!

3. #13 Re: China UK on a JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by MGAlbion View Post
    Having ridden quite a lot around China (Shandong, Hubei, Hunan, Yunnan, Sichuan, Guizhou on a Qingqi 200Gy and Zongshen Sierra), but ive now decided to go a bit further. I want to ride from China to the UK.
    I hope to go something like: China - Kaz'stan/Mongolia - Russia - Ukraine - Mainland Europe - UK.

I was hoping to call on you for 2 pieces of advice:

First, how do people rate the JH600? Is it good enough and reliable enough to make the distance with 2 people and luggage?
    Or, does anyone have any other suggestions for a bike i can buy and register in China?

Two, is it possible to get the bike out of China and then into and out of all following countries?

When i finish in the UK i plan to have the bike shipped back to China.

Im at the beginning of my planning, so all advice is very much welcome.
    Sounds great. My friends went from Poland to Chinese border couple of years ago, they said Kazahstan was the worst place to go threw, they were asked to pay bribes everywhere, and they speak fluent russian. Why not Iran, Iraq? I've read about travelling threw Iran. They say, tourist are so not expected there that they werre welcome everywhere. When are you planning to go?
    JH-150GY-3

4. #14 Re: China UK on a JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Some great replies, im very grateful for the info and appreciate the effort you are going to.

China V: My memory isnt good enough to post any good ride reports, but i'll post some pics to share and inspire. My number one tip to anyone riding in China is: go on google maps and get to the mountains, any mountains. Those areas are always interesting, always beautiful and always fun. There is always somewhere to camp and often a place to swim etc. The plains on the other hand, are dull and the domain of trucks!

Filipu: Thanks for the info on Kaz. I shall have to investigate that further. Id love to go through the Iran and Iraq, but i have to complete this ride in my 2 month holiday (late June, July, Aug) and im sure that route would take too long.

Milton and Liao Jia Hu: I saw your post on the Hubei trip. Looked cool, if not a little wet! I know the feeling, im living in Wuhan and have been soaked a few times in this area (so much drier in the north). Thanks for the info on the bike. Im sure i would get side boxes fitted for storage and protection. Im a little worried about the breakdown and parts, have you have mentioned. Plus im not good with the mechanical side of things.

All in all, a lot of food for thought.

5. #15 Re: China UK on a JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    You bringing the GS or should we arrange to have a JH600 shipped for you to the meeting spot?
    Andy

6. #16 Re: China UK on a JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Having been put on to some posts deeper in the forum, namely by Euphonius, i'm feeling a JH600 set-up with back boxes etc, can make the trip to Europe. The only problem that might remain is parts in the even of a breakdown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12