Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 buying a 50cc scooter in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all

I own a Ebike and live in Puxi but want to upgrade to a LPG bike so that I have something with more range on it. I have been chasing my tail for weeks trying to sort this out with no joy so thought I'd post a few questions on here

1 I have been told I don't need a license for anything bellow 50cc is this true?

2 What plate do I need and where can I get it?

3 Where would be the best place to buy from? (I live in Xintiandi so the nearer the better)

4 Would I be able to take it over to Pudong via the Fuxing road tunnel?

Please understand I'm keen to be as legal as possible but it seems this may be impossible so all advice is welcome.

2. #2 Re: buying a 50cc scooter in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Flashdan,

Welcome to the forum, which you will find is full of useful information. Much of what you are requesting has been discussed in various threads. Spend a little time with advanced search and see what you can find!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: buying a 50cc scooter in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Euphonius

Thanks for the reply, I've just tried the advanced search and also been looking in several other online forums about this for the past month but am non the wiser in fact if anything I'm all the more confused. I've found a bike 2nd hand and the shop owner assures me the plates are legit but I'm still unclear on the license situation i.e. do I need one if the bike is under 50cc, I'm also confused now as to if I will even be able to get gas for it in the Luwan area or not so if anyone can shed some light on any of this I would be grateful.

4. #4 Re: buying a 50cc scooter in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    If the plates are legit, there will be documentation to go with them, as there would be in any other country. If he can't provide them to you, the plates are not legit. You'll need legal papers for a transfer of ownership.

A driver's license is unrelated to whether the bike is legal or not. I don't know whether you need a license to drive a sub-50cc bike, but that's answered here in MCM somewhere.

I do hope someone in the forum can help with specifics.

Sounds dodgy as hell to me.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: buying a 50cc scooter in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    I posted in another thread with LPG questions. My gas bike just got taken by the police. I really don't want the inconvenience of charging an Ebike again, so I'm pursuing an LPG also. Trying to find out if I need a Chinese drivers license and where it would be possible to get LPG fuel.

Here is an LPG shop not too far from xintiandi. I got the address from the mudflap of an LPG bike I was passing. 647 qu xi lu in luwan(瞿溪路647号). I haven't been there yet, as I'm trying to find answers to my first two questions above first. If you have any answers, I'd love to hear them.

6. #6 Re: buying a 50cc scooter in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi agong

I gave up for the moment on the gas bike as was chasing my tail trying to find answers so got a bigger Electric to keep me going until I got a license.

I did find a good shop selling 2nd hand LPG's with legit plates near me in Xintiandi but non were under 50cc and because they plates were legit and my Mandarin is limited the price was high. I'll try to swing past it tonight to give you the address, if I cant work it out shoot me a message and I can meet you and take you to it if you want.