Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hum me hai hero

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    The problem is still the same, a high percentage of scooter sales in the USA are made in china.
    They are sold online and many violate patents and some likely emission and safety regulations.
    In that they do not want to be counted. If they were then they would be sued or fined.

To be legitimate it comes with a patent and trademark.
    To be legitimate offerings are well made and meet emission laws.
    To be legitimate offerings are sold through licensed dealers in each state, the dealers operate under each states law for consumer protection, and they offer warranty and repairs.

Hero found a US partner, they capitalized that partner it’s Erik Buell Racing. They can come in in total legitimacy, with trademarks and patents, with emission certificates, with licensed real dealers supported with a professional staff and business system.
    There are huge numbers of people looking at low cost entry level motorcycles, many will not buy online it is a very faulted and limited system. Ideally there needs to be a network of national dealers and that is a matter of offering them some profit to sell and support the motorcycles. Unfortunately many are now jaded by the cheap Chinese. Dodgy illegal copies with falsified emissions certificates, which are coming out of factories that have no quality control.

Hero would be offering low cost licensed Honda products as well as models designed and developed by EBR.

You can get a SYM T2 in the USA for $3,799.00, it is safe to say that the HX250R would cost less and outperform the T2. It cost less than the Honda CB300R and Ninja 300, if it comes over at close to 300 lbs it will get noticed. But that is not what is new here, what is new is 150cc and 100cc bikes that is a vacant segment in the USA, its not that it is a small segment, it’s that it does not even exist today.

I would look at the Karizma, it be fun to ride and fun to piss people off that are offended by it.
    Its nice to jump on a little light weight single and not make such a big production. Its like a roadster apposed to big block muscle car. But the thing is if the cost is too high, like over 4k out the door, I like it less or not enough? I bet this bike is very reliable 223cc with EFI and tuned up already to 20hp.

2. #32 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    I kinda expected that the US market is more transparent and that the rules are clear and are applied to all, without exception. Somehow, I did not expect that a dozen small companies selling C-motos and scoots, mentioned here in few topics, can avoid clear rules and laws. Yes, their offer is trashy, support to the customers, as mach I understand, practically non-existent, same as dealer's network, but how can they dodge emission laws, homologations or any certification of conformity and stay under the radar, so to speak? And how those bikes/scoots can get plates?

I understand that each market has its own specificities and customer's habits, but I could not agree that the problem is "made in China" two-wheeler "per se".

Maybe you in the US need agile team of serious people who will pick decent quality/attractive/wanted bikes and scooters from reputable Chinese manufacturers, something like more than once mentioned Polish "Junak".

By the way, do not look at "Karizma". Wait for the kitchy golden-red "Mahindra Mojo" and piss people by talking trash with an accent as it had Peter Sellers in "The Party".

As a fan of these little horizontal, I want to share something I've noticed in this 100 cc "Heroes". Virtually all Chinese clones of so-called "small bore" (50-110 cc) "Honda's" horizontals have the clutch basket mounted on the crankshaft, while "Heroes" have a basket mounted on the gearbox. In theory, this means that there will be much less vibrations as the rather large mass clutch assembly spins much slower. Plus, "Hero" engine with that configuration has a couple ponies extra than generic Chinese 100-110 cc horizontal.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #33 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    The Motorcycle Industry Council is not government, if you were to ask them how many Chinese manufactured scooters were sold in the USA, they could not tell you. That is because the Council gathers numbers by calling on each “manufacturer” they request sales numbers. Who would they call for the Chinese imports and even if they could make a contact what do you think the response would be to their inquiry?

Considering that anyone can pull up a list of certified models for sale through the EPA for any year just to see what “manufactures” exist and applied and then were granted certificates and for what vehicles. The list has all the major brand names on it, but what about all the “manufactures” that are selling the Chinese imports.

I can assure you what is being imported from China and sold is not being counted in overall market sales by the Motorcycle Industry Council. They admit it and state they only have data from 75% of the manufactures. Which to me seems a generous percentage, simply because well over half of the names of “manufactures” on the EPA list are not in their count. Simply because all the Chinese imports are through continuously changing “Manufactures”. Each year the names change in the list of vehicles certified by the EPA. There are many names on that list representing Chinese imports.

As for the EPA certificates they can and do go into the market and check vehicles, they check to see if it is what was certified with them, is it what the manufacturer claimed or not. They likely struggle to find the Chinese vehicles in any real dealership, most are sold out of a warehouse. If the EPA shows up at the warehouse to check, then are they being unfair are they singling out the few? You can be sure they get accused of that. You can also be sure that often when they check they find vehicles that are markedly different then what was applied for.

It’s not the same for HERO, however they will be treated the same. The biggest challenge will be in getting independent dealers to accept them, agree to sell them. In reality that is about unit profits, there are no dealers interested in selling what has very little profit. There is no big demand for motorcycles, even less for under 600cc, they are not a necessity. So they have to get inside of big dealers and that is not easy in most cases. Many equate having a small motorcycle to what is feminine. I met a man that sold his Mini Copper because he got fed up of the comments made about it. He said he did not care what others thought, but that the comments never ended and he did not want to hear it anymore, he traded it in on an F-150.
    It is not that everyone is an asshole, it’s just that assholes are everywhere.

how de pard den r

Last edited by MJH; 03-29-2015 at 12:16 AM.

4. #34 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    Here is a link to a list of Voided EPA certificates.

August 1, 2014: EPA withdrew its approval of the import and sale of over 28,000 gas-powered highway and off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles because the agency believes that it received either incomplete or falsified certification information. All vehicles imported into or manufactured in the United States are required to have certificates of conformity. EPA issued the vehicle certificates from 2007 to 2011 to CFMoto. As a result of a lengthy investigation, the agency believes that the applications for the certificates contained fallacious information and must be voided. This notice follows actions in April 2013 and October 2013 in which EPA voided certificates from Snyder Computer Systems dba Wildfire Motors, American Lifan and Jonway which impacted up to 70,000; 61,000; and 39,000 vehicles, respectively. The applications were submitted by Michael Johnson of System Launch Associates who has pled guilty to wire fraud and submitting false statements under the Clean Air Act and is currently awaiting sentencing.

One of these days I will take some time to download the EPA list for 2015 and summarize it. The link today seems to be updating?
    It is here on this webpage.

5. #35 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    I'm really suprised that this "fishing in troubled water" possible in a such extent. 170,000 vehicles - that's no children's game.

About "Hero" in American market: I think that Americans are not used to any vehicle, two or four wheeled - no difference, with a small displacement engine. While in Italy some "cinquantino" is virtually member of a family, or a battered "papaki" an essential part of household inventory in Greece, as well as at least one old "Tomos" almost in every home across the former Yugoslavia, in the US is motorbike like that an ordinary commodity, something that causes emotions as much as loaf of bread and a bottle of milk.

Yet, I want to believe that there is a big enough niche in the American market for "Hero's" small displacement bikes, to be worthwhile to both, factory and their local dealers (unless they expect a big, fat profit margin of a 2-2.5k bucks bike).

Never ending comments about small bikes? What's wrong with small bikes? C'mon, those are not man bags! Small bikes are nimble, swift, even easy going and friendly (and now, in background plays "Felicita" by Al Bano and Romina ). Although, vanity is a tricky thing...

And when I mentioned "Mahindra Mojo", it was reffering to "Mojo" based on "Malaguti" MR 250 concept bike, not this contemporary red and white one.

Mahindra_Mojo_300.jpg

6. #36 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    It’s not that transparent, it’s a competitive market, all participates operate under a common set of regulations. Sales numbers are not public information, not directly. Sales numbers are a road map to a market share that can be used by a competitor. However product safety and consumer protection require some accountability to what is sold and to whom and were.
    Those that enter and participate are expected to fully understand and respect the regulations.
    Under scrutiny it all becomes apparent as to whether intentions are admirable or not. It all becomes pretty transparent, that being once a bright light is shone on it.
    Here is the thing, if there is low or little to no quality control that is typically preceded by low quality at every functional level into the market. If production is not under control then what ends up in the market is typically also out of control as well. It all has to be legitimate backed with testing and documentation. It is not possible for authorities to prove you did something wrong if you did nothing wrong.
    It’s not really always about who you know, it is more about what you know and in that getting it right and in that being able to if not prove it at least be able to present a defense. That’s about fully understanding and demonstrating a path that was righteous. Assuming and accusing the authorities as biased and prejudice…that will increase the probability of a conviction. The only defense is a presented case of well documented proof of due diligence.
    Here is what is really going on, the store that being the dealership that is local has the full liability for what they sell. If its defective crap they can be held liable for it. That is why most dealerships say no thanks. They could also wake to a letter stating the inventory they have has lost its EPA certificates and have to stop selling it. The Chinese stumbled in and made a mess and the industry now refuses them.
    To succeed there has to be a backer with capital and one that is committed to standing behind what it manufactures and sells. Seriously a warranty has to be underwritten, it’s a fund as an account held by a third party, these people leave the market and any claimed warranty evaporates. They leave and make accusations of unprecedented regulatory action, yeah in the face of what is historically unprecedented fallacious and intentional regulatory violations.

7. #37 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    This is what is available out of India...2015
    Engine OEM MFR Vehicle OEM MFR Vehicle OEM Country No of Cylinders Valve per Cylinder Engine Displacment(S) Models Certified EDV Rated Power Certificate No Manufacturer Name
    Bajaj Auto Ltd. Bajaj Auto Ltd. India 1 4 373 390 Duke, RC 390 32 FKTXC.373RCD-007 KTM North America, Inc.
    Bajaj Auto Ltd. Bajaj Auto Ltd. India 1 4 373 390 Duke, RC 390 32 FKTXC.373RCD-007 KTM North America, Inc.
    Royal Enfield Motors Unit of Eicher Motors LTD. Royal Enfield Motors Unit of Eicher Motors LTD India 1 2 499 Bullet Classic EFI, Bullet EFI, Bullet Electra Cla, Bullet Electra EFI 20.3 FREEC0.50ELF-001 Royal Enfield
    Royal Enfield Motors Unit of Eicher Motors LTD. Royal Enfield Motors Unit of Eicher Motors LTD India 1 2 535 Continental GT 20.3 FREEC0535ELF-002 Royal Enfield
    Royal Enfield Motors Unit of Eicher Motors LTD. Royal Enfield Motors Unit of Eicher Motors LTD India 1 2 535 Continental GT 21.4 FREEC0535ELF-002 Royal Enfield
    LML, Ltd. LML, Ltd. India 1 2 125 Stella 125 Automatic 6.8 FGSCC.125STA-002 Genuine Scooters, LLC

8. #38 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    LML Vespa too.

9. #39 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    LML Vespa too.
    Genuine Scooters also partners with Her Chee Industrial as well as LML.

They offer a 2-stroke 3.2hp called a Rough House

10. #40 Re: Hum me hai hero 
    If at least half of the importers of Chinese scooters, which you recently mentioned, are similar to "Genuine scooters" (BTW, they have nice scooter range), then you do not need to be displeased and resentful. I mean, not all import of C-scooters should be dodgy business as smugling Cuban cigars or "Kinder Surprise" chocolate eggs.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast