Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 You would never see anything like in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru

Perfect, can't get simpler and cleaner than this. Belt drive, fixed gear, two fixed gears actually! Shifter is tucked away in the pedal! And you don't even need brakes, well, I'd feel better with front brakes on actually.

With minimal maintenance, this should outlive you by a few decades..

Show this to a Chinese and the first thing they'd say is "how much?" .. ahh, Tài gúle, too expensive, and go back to their rusty 30kg bike without ever noticing anything about the bike's design.

2. #2 Re: You would never see anything like in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Actually I'm not a fan of fixies .. I remember riding a fixed gear bike and moving onto freewheel was ... ahh, just something nice about coasting on a roadbike.

3. #3 Re: You would never see anything like in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Seems you can buy the same crank set and belt drive from this company >> http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/schlumpf/antriebe_engl.htm and you can still use a freewheel on the back, doens't have to be a fixie.. don't their knees hurt? Bike messengers are nuts by the way. Respect. I can't say much else.

4. #4 Re: You would never see anything like in China 
    There is also issues with fixed gears and going down a steep hill, if you loose the peddles it was like trying to stop a fan blade with your feet. The only braking is to skid the rear tire, so the tires will not out live anyone on fixed gear bike. I do remember missing the ability to skid to stop though when I progressed to a freewheel.

5. #5 Re: You would never see anything like in China 
    can you guess what would happen for a brakeless bike in China? The result is also simple.
    同志仍需努力

6. #6 Re: You would never see anything like in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    can you guess what would happen for a brakeless bike in China? The result is also simple.
    Actually they are SUPER popular, at least where I live. That being said, I have seen more than my share of crashes along the side of a car by all types of bikes. I hate to admit, but I just dont ride as much as I would like anymore in China, which is pretty sad as I have a super nice hand built 12.5 kg MTB with dual suspension and Magura hydraulic brakes. I also have a Specialized 13" observed trials bike which I do play with often in the city.

bike.jpg

CCI05152012_00000.jpg