Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    I was riding another day with a chinese couple, they have BMW GS1150. Little Jialing just doesn't stack up. You see the motorbike in front accelerating smoothly and your 150ccm mosquito is screaming with pain already.
    JH-150GY-3

2. #22 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Let's get back on track, here.

First, a training program is always a great idea - someone should start a new thread. In addition to Andy as a high quality resource (and he certainly is), there are several ex-MSF instructors, as well as some very highly skilled off-road riders in Beijing (racers too!). Shit, even though I am an ex-instructor, I'd be in line to sign up ... I can always learn something new, or have someone beat me with a stick until I break my many bad habits. And I am sure Andy would be first in line for the opportunity to beat me with a stick!

Second, I've been lucky to have been with Barry since day one of his JH600 experience and I can certainly vouch for his riding skills. Definitely a quick study.

Third, Fahni is also a new rider, and I was similarly amazed at how well he handled the JH150. He's a safe, intelligent rider, and at least gives off the impression that he is very comfortable on the bike. But I sincerely hope he ignored my very bad example of "safe riding" when we were zipping back through Beijing traffic. Listen to me, Fahni ... "do as I say, not as I do!"

As for the JH150 ... like you Euphonius, I was very interested in going for a ride alongside of one and seeing what it would do. From what I saw, I never thought the JH150 lacked any power to do a decent run through the mountains. Of course, I wasn't riding it, but it didn't appear to be lacking. Maybe Fahni was red-lining it in every gear, but it seemed to have lots of pick up and go. As a sidebar ... following CJ750 sidecars ... now THAT is a unpleasant experience because of their lack of power & the weird way they go through corners ... without mentioning the frequent stops for breakdowns, flats, electrical gremlins & the picking up of pieces that fall off along the way.

I don't think the JH150 would be my first choice for two-up tours with luggage, although some people have done it.

Bottom line for me is that the more I ride throughout China, the more I am migrating to smaller and smaller bikes. They just make a lot more sense to me. And, frankly, they are oodles more fun!

It was only my first date with a JH150 (a stroll through the park), but I'm already asking for that second date with dinner & drinks. And a threesome with Filipu would be great!

The JH150 gets my vote.

3. #23 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    Am I the only one who can't see the photos?
    JH-150GY-3

4. #24 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    Darn - very sorry about that - had this problem before. I hosted them with the free tinypic.com. I was trying to follow Felix's suggestion and use Windows Live, but I couldn't get the URL sorted.

Felix? Euphonius? ChinaV? Carl? Anyone? Suggestions for a free hosting service that is reliable and available inside the GFW?

Again, apologies.

5. #25 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    Senior C-Moto Guru

this is hosted at Skydrive from M$ .. it's a bit tricky to get a direct url to each image, basically you have to get a link for each image by manually clicking the thumbnail then copying the link, paste and then remove the junk after .JPG .. or maybe felix knows another way around this..

Alternatively, use http://imgur.com/ .. dead simple to do bulk uploads, but you loose original file name so it's tricky to get them in order. to use from within the GFW you have to register (free for basic accounts).. the upload tool gave a csv file linking filename on disk to direct link to jpg and thumbnail. Perfect, but that only worked for anonymous uploads, now blocked for China Another negative for imgur is that if bulk upload fails, you have to check each image to find where it failed because you there's no link to original filenames

Yet another option is http://host.fotki.com/ the downside is there's with the upload tool you're limited to 1Gb total capacity (not sure if still same now). if anonymous upload, unlimited, but you're limited to upload one photo at a time, but you get a direct link with the original filename so it's easy to sort your photos when writing a long RR (something I should start doing soon).

Cheers..

6. #26 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    How about Flickr? I think Felix switched to Flickr after growing frustrated with Windows Live with all its intrusions and demands.

There is a sticky on Posting Pix to MCM but I'm not sure whether it's up to date. The dope that Slabo just filed on Imgur and Fotki would be important additions to that thread...

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #27 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    Hey LJH, thanks for the flowers and your carefully selected wording of "giving off the impression that I am comfortable with the bike"...

As I said earlier, I like the bike and am happy for the moment. I even think that I'd rather plant the thought of bying her own bike into the mind of my GF (will watch "inception" a couple more times) instead of buying a stronger bike for rides of the two of us...

As for your growing interest in smaller displacement bikes: How does that conform with your latest purchases?
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

8. #28 Re: Jialing riders visit the West of Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    this is hosted at Skydrive from M$ .. it's a bit tricky to get a direct url to each image, basically you have to get a link for each image by manually clicking the thumbnail then copying the link, paste and then remove the junk after .JPG .. or maybe felix knows another way around this..
    Thanks Slabo - I struggled with my Skydrive trying to figure it out & gave up. Hope Leb is treating you well?

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    How about Flickr?
    Yup - Thanks Euph! I hope people can see the pics now. That site has changed the way one links, but it is rather easy to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    As I said earlier, I like the bike and am happy for the moment. I even think that I'd rather plant the thought of bying her own bike into the mind of my GF (will watch "inception" a couple more times) instead of buying a stronger bike for rides of the two of us...

As for your growing interest in smaller displacement bikes: How does that conform with your latest purchases?
    A harmonious domestic life = two bikes.

My Duc-buddy told me that the Multistrada has a dial that allows the rider to detune the available power. I'm hoping it has a "Honda Cub" setting. If not, well, I guess I'll have to start eating some crow and try a GS in China (Andy, you are just imagining that I said that).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123