Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shineray XY250-G2 Supermoto Carrying a Passenger 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi All
    I recently decided to try to take my mate a a pillion on my new Shineray. He is quite small and light but when he got on the suspension went down a long way and when I rode away there was a rubbing noise from the back wheel. I am not sure what caused the noise as it was difficult to look down there. We decided not to ride that day and I then had a look at the suspension and manual. The back monoshock is adjustable for pre-load but you have to take it off to do this. The manual shows a motocross bike without pillion pegs and doesn't really refer to the supermoto, the parts look the same though. The manual suggests if you weigh more than about 80kg you need a stiffer spring. I am about 75kg and my mate about 60kg so we are well over 80kg combined. Surely you don't need to change the spring just for occasional pillion though as pillion pegs are fitted and therefore the bike is intended to take a passenger. Do any of you have any experience or advice for carrying a pillion on a similar bike please? Thanks
    Bearmac
    Shineray XY250GY-2 Supermoto in the UK
    Now wanting a Chang Jiang

2. #2 Re: Shineray XY250-G2 Supermoto Carrying a Passenger 
    you will probably find the preload is set very light from the factory. If you are mostly using the bike on the road then just crank it up a bit. The fact that they fitted pillion pegs in china is not an indication that any design or thought went into who or what may be carried on the motorcycle. Your bike is fitted with 17 inch wheels? If so and its rubbing the tyre you should definitely adjust the spring. On the bright side it is possible the tire was rubbing on the chainguard because it expanded outwards under the weight of you and your mate. Btw if you do need to remove the shock it is easiest to suspend the bike from above , usually a strop around the subframe tied to the rafters in the garage or a convenient tree branch.

3. #3 Re: Shineray XY250-G2 Supermoto Carrying a Passenger 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    zhu, thanks for your helpful advice, I will try some adjustment.
    Shineray XY250GY-2 Supermoto in the UK
    Now wanting a Chang Jiang